Collectors: do you intend to cross your non-beaned slabs to CACG? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Collectors: do you intend to cross your non-beaned slabs to CACG?

I'm sure some will cross beaned ones and some will not but for the non-beaned coins do you plan to cross them over? I have been thinking it over since the announcement and I think I will. I don't have many non-beaned ones but I think I'd prefer to cross them and have, essentially, an all bean/cacg collection rather than bean/non-cacg collection. I am a bit wary on one or two Dahlonega/Charlotte items where the grade will probably drop a little but I don't think they would ever bean as is and I am kinda feeling like the value might be better protected in a CACG than in their current slab even if the grade dropped a little.

Comments

• I don’t have any non beaned eligible coins, and I haven’t been able to become a member of CAC yet. If I did have both of those things, I would likely try to cross them if I knew that they were cac rejects. Especially since I mostly collect gold coins with values in mid 4 figures and up, I would want to remove any ambiguity and understand what held them back from stickering the first time. 
  • edited January 2023
    I only have a few non-beaned coins, but I'm leaning toward submitting them fairly soon after CACG gets up and running, possibly with a minimum grade stipulation to cross. The beaned coins I will leave as-is for now, both PCGS/CAC and NGC/CAC, and wait to see how the market reacts to all the new CACG coins, especially the +'s that were not previously beaned.
  • I would love to cross my entire collection (1000+ coins) and be done with pcgs once and for all. Of course I'm not willing to spend the money to actually do that.
  • edited January 2023
    TurtleCat said:

I'm sure some will cross beaned ones and some will not but for the non-beaned coins do you plan to cross them over? I have been thinking it over since the announcement and I think I will. I don't have many non-beaned ones but I think I'd prefer to cross them and have, essentially, an all bean/cacg collection rather than bean/non-cacg collection. I am a bit wary on one or two Dahlonega/Charlotte items where the grade will probably drop a little but I don't think they would ever bean as is and I am kinda feeling like the value might be better protected in a CACG than in their current slab even if the grade dropped a little.

Be careful in trying to cross those two gold coins. My sense is that the reason Gold coins with CAC stickers are such a low % of those graded is due to surface issues not acceptable to CAC, but acceptable to the other two TPG’s. If it turns out that’s the case with yours, they won’t cross at any grade due to those defects.

Steve
  • I'm sure some will cross beaned ones and some will not but for the non-beaned coins do you plan to cross them over? I have been thinking it over since the announcement and I think I will. I don't have many non-beaned ones but I think I'd prefer to cross them and have, essentially, an all bean/cacg collection rather than bean/non-cacg collection. I am a bit wary on one or two Dahlonega/Charlotte items where the grade will probably drop a little but I don't think they would ever bean as is and I am kinda feeling like the value might be better protected in a CACG than in their current slab even if the grade dropped a little.
    Be careful in trying to cross those two gold coins. My sense is that the reason Gold coins with CAC stickers are such a low % of those graded is due to surface issues not acceptable to .CAC, but acceptable to the other two TPG’s. If it turns out that’s the case with yours, they won’t cross at any grade due to those defects. Steve
    I would definitely have it stipulated to only cross if not details. The Charlotte was clearly dipped at one time but isn’t too bad really. Still has luster. The Dahlonega has details but doesn’t have any luster. The one is graded 53 and the other 45. I was anticipating they would probably grade 50 and 40. While the bean has been more selectively applied I’m not positive they intend to be as strict the next grade down for coins like these that are less common and known to be problem children. I guess we will find out in several months. 
  • I would love to cross my entire collection (1000+ coins) and be done with pcgs once and for all. Of course I'm not willing to spend the money to actually do that.

Isn’t your name : MeanToBeSpent ? 😉☺️

To answer the O P I do plan on converting my coins !  Beaned and a few unbeaned that I have . ( most everything is beaned )

Back to you , you should ask if there could be a discount bulk grading deal.    I’m not sure what the fees are going to be , but let’s say it’s $38  x 1,000 is $38,000     I’d like to think being cac graded will add more than that in value to your collection.  Just thinking out loud 

Larry 
  • BULK GRADING.... YAY !!!

>:)
  • Out of the 20 or so coins I have that are "non-beaned" there are only a few that I would consider sending to CACG. About half of those 20 have been to CAC twice and the others most likely won't cross, or at least at a grade I want. And, some are not valued high enough to warrant the grading fee. I would be better off trying to find those already beaned or in a new CACG slab. I have one NGC "beaned" coin that most likely will be sent in because I would like to have a coin in a new first generation CACG slab.
  • No chance of that happening for me, I have no plans to cross any coins at all. I have never been about the plastic game and I will not start now. The only plastic game I play is collecting old holders, so I do plan to send a few raw coins in to be graded, partly to see how they are graded compared to my grade, and to have a first gen CACG holder.
  • Yes, much talk about plastic here. I do understand though sending your raw coins in for grading to CACG and being part of the start up and obtaining a new holder.
  • edited January 2023
    TurtleCat said:

TurtleCat said:

Be careful in trying to cross those two gold coins. My sense is that the reason Gold coins with CAC stickers are such a low % of those graded is due to surface issues not acceptable to .CAC, but acceptable to the other two TPG’s. If it turns out that’s the case with yours, they won’t cross at any grade due to those defects.

Steve

@TurtleCat says: I would definitely have it stipulated to only cross if not details. The Charlotte was clearly dipped at one time but isn’t too bad really. Still has luster. The Dahlonega has details but doesn’t have any luster. The one is graded 53 and the other 45. I was anticipating they would probably grade 50 and 40. While the bean has been more selectively applied I’m not positive they intend to be as strict the next grade down for coins like these that are less common and known to be problem children. I guess we will find out in several months. 
    ———————————————————————
    @Winesteven says: In some ways, what you indicate reminds me of the young reporter interviewing Mrs. Lincoln, when he asked, “Mrs. Lincoln, other than the assassination, how was the play?”

Steve
  • TurtleCat said:

TurtleCat said:

Be careful in trying to cross those two gold coins. My sense is that the reason Gold coins with CAC stickers are such a low % of those graded is due to surface issues not acceptable to .CAC, but acceptable to the other two TPG’s. If it turns out that’s the case with yours, they won’t cross at any grade due to those defects.

Steve

@TurtleCat says: I would definitely have it stipulated to only cross if not details. The Charlotte was clearly dipped at one time but isn’t too bad really. Still has luster. The Dahlonega has details but doesn’t have any luster. The one is graded 53 and the other 45. I was anticipating they would probably grade 50 and 40. While the bean has been more selectively applied I’m not positive they intend to be as strict the next grade down for coins like these that are less common and known to be problem children. I guess we will find out in several months. 
    ———————————————————————
    @Winesteven says: In some ways, what you indicate reminds me of the young reporter interviewing Mrs. Lincoln, when he asked, “Mrs. Lincoln, other than the assassination, how was the play?”

Steve

Lol, well at my income level I'm happy to be allowed to view the play at all.
  • Thumb’s Up! (I can’t find the icon, lol).