Resolution of CAC TPGS treatment of "C" coins still needed. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Resolution of CAC TPGS treatment of "C" coins still needed.

JA was very gracious to look at some coins for me in order to clear up my confusion over how his new TPGS would handle "C" coins. I picked out 17 NGC and PCGS MS graded coins of various types that IMO were correctly graded but at the "C" level of each grade. 13 coins got the "red dot" I expected. I missed on 3. One received a B-, one received a B, and one received a "nice" B. I'll call the other coin I missed a "draw." JA gave it a B-. It is a beautiful, original $2 1/2 Liberty graded NGC MS-64. Upon closer inspection when it was returned, I would have sent it to the next ICG grader as Unc Details, scratched. That's why I have never claimed to be a commercial coin grader. Note that I did not see the obverse scratches when I picked the coin out to send.

Unfortunately, my original question remained unanswered due to the fact that I did not make myself clear. I thought I read somewhere in this forum that a "C" coin at one grade would be dropped to the next lower grade as a + coin by the "new" CAC TPGS. Example: A PCGS MS-64 (original, correctly graded MS 64 but NOT an "A" or "B" coin eligible for a present day CAC green bean at MS-64). When the "New" CAC TPGS is open, I understood that this coin would be put in a slab as a MS-63+.

That is what I wanted to find out with the coins I sent. I'm sure it will be answered when the CAC TPGS opens or in this discussion.

Comments

• edited January 2023
    If that’s the case , just imagine how much more people are going to trust cac quality coins .   That every coin they grade is an A or B coin period for its grade.   People can opt to keep the NGC 64 coin not cac approved or have a 63+ Cac slabbed coin .   Personally I’d take the later in most cases .  Unless doing so would financially harm me .  As would be the case for a 1914 S $5 Indian ms 64 .  Going to 63 + would kill it imho .  

I had sent in a 1926 Saint ms 65 which did not cac approve .  I cracked it open to use in a capital display .  When I changed out that coin I resubmitted it for grading .  Came back 64+

It’s at CAC now .  Hoping it’ll green bean .   In this scenario it’s there is no loss in value for me .   I’d say 64+ cac is actually worth more if not equal to the 65 non cac .   I’d rather have the cac approved coin in lower grade .  

I seen you and others as I walked by Friday at FUN .  But you were busy .  I was thinking to just say hello 

• If that’s the case , just imagine how much more people are going to trust cac quality coins .   That every coin they grade is an A or B coin period for its grade.   People can opt to keep the NGC 64 coin not cac approved or have a 63+ Cac slabbed coin .   Personally I’d take the later in most cases .  Unless doing so would financially harm me .  As would be the case for a 1914 S $5 Indian ms 64 .  Going to 63 + would kill it imho .  

I had sent in a 1926 Saint ms 65 which did not cac approve .  I cracked it open to use in a capital display .  When I changed out that coin I resubmitted it for grading .  Came back 64+

It’s at CAC now .  Hoping it’ll green bean .   In this scenario it’s there is no loss in value for me .   I’d say 64+ cac is actually worth more if not equal to the 65 non cac .   I’d rather have the cac approved coin in lower grade .  

I seen you and others as I walked by Friday at FUN .  But you were busy .  I was thinking to just say hello 

Logic. Works every...darn....time.