Petition for the inclusion of a 10 piece and 17 piece gold type set in the CAC registry - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Petition for the inclusion of a 10 piece and 17 piece gold type set in the CAC registry

2»

Comments

• I’m five coins away from a complete type set as defined by Greysheet. Every grade from Poor 1 to MS-69 will be represented. AU- 58 is my favorite grade. This certified set has been in the works since 1994. Many OGH/OBH PCGS with CAC. Some NGC coins also reside in the set.
  • DD, I agree the more options, the better. In theory, if there were 30 different Gold Type Sets (obviously, there would be tremendous overlap in a majority of the sets), like now, we would choose which ones to partake in, and which ones we would skip. Simple!
  • @LarryC , why is AU-58 your favorite grade as opposed to 58+?

Steve
  • @LarryC , why is AU-58 your favorite grade as opposed to 58+? Steve
    All my 58’s are in OGH and NGC “fatty” with the exception of a few. I don’t want to resubmit and lose my OGH even if some would upgrade to plus status. I suggested to PCGS to come up with a “plus” sticker to preserve the old holders and they had no interest. I would love to add a 58+ to my collection. I keep looking; however, I’ve yet to find a 58+ coin that I like in today’s numismatic marketplace that isn’t stratospherically priced as the registry players compete for them. I did recently get my first 45+ coin (1855 Arrows 25c) which is less common than a 58+. 
  • I understand, and fully agree.

Thanks.

Steve
  • Just have to add that I think it is funny that people don’t like gold $s. That’s pretty much all I collect now. :) The less competition the better for me.
    It’s not so much that we don't like them, as much as we don't prioritize them the same way. They are beautiful coins, but the size isn't everyone's "cup of tea". I really need glass/photography to appreciate the details of the coin and a lot of us have poor eyesight and are able enjoy larger coins more. My intention isn't to start a crusade against the significance of gold dollars, but if one is working with limited resources, I think the basic gold type set should only have 1, just like the other coins. Sure I understand that the designs were modified but you can use that same argument for the "no motto" or "with motto" coins that had minor design changes. I wouldn't mind if all 3 gold dollars are needed for the intermediate set along with the other attainable coins with multiple types.
    They are small for my eyes, too, but I have just liked them :) And at least their designs were modified to a greater extent than the liberty series. ;) 
  • I like the gold dollars.  I enjoy macro photography with tiny coins.  
  • divecchia said:
    I’ve broken up sets because of not enjoying the $1 Gold coins.     Personally it would free up $$ normally used on the $1 coins for use upgrading the $1 Type 2 and $3 gold princess.

Can anyone answer this question : if I have a $1 type 2 or $3 ms 64 cac and another person has them in ms 65+ cac -  do they get equal weight in the registry ?    Since those spots weight 6.00 & 5.00 respectively.   Or do the higher grades also result in higher average points ?   As in the registry uses both weight and graded??
    In the PCGS Registry the higher grades would get more points. If someone has the slot filled with an ms65+ coin and you have that same slot filled with an MS64 coin the other set would get more points and therefore rank higher than your set in the standings. To determine the points a coin gets, you take the grade (for example MS64 = 64 points) and multiply it by the Weight (6.00) for that slot and divide it by the Divisor. The Divisor is determined by the total Weight of all coins in the set added together. For the 12 piece U.S. Gold Type set the Divisor is 40. So using the first example (MS64 coin), it would be 64 X 6.00 = 384. Divide the 384 by the Weight of 40 and you will get 9.600 points for that coin in that slot. Using the second example (MS65+ coin), it would be 65.5 X 6.00 = 393. Divide the 393 by the Weight of 40 and you will get 9.825 points for that coin in that slot. You can see the higher graded coin is worth more in that slot (9.825 verses 9.600) I hope this explains it a little bit for you and I did not further confuse you. Donato
    Thank you Donato.  Sorry for delayed response . Lots going on …. 
  • divecchia said:
    I’ve broken up sets because of not enjoying the $1 Gold coins.     Personally it would free up $$ normally used on the $1 coins for use upgrading the $1 Type 2 and $3 gold princess.

Can anyone answer this question : if I have a $1 type 2 or $3 ms 64 cac and another person has them in ms 65+ cac -  do they get equal weight in the registry ?    Since those spots weight 6.00 & 5.00 respectively.   Or do the higher grades also result in higher average points ?   As in the registry uses both weight and graded??
    In the PCGS Registry the higher grades would get more points. If someone has the slot filled with an ms65+ coin and you have that same slot filled with an MS64 coin the other set would get more points and therefore rank higher than your set in the standings. To determine the points a coin gets, you take the grade (for example MS64 = 64 points) and multiply it by the Weight (6.00) for that slot and divide it by the Divisor. The Divisor is determined by the total Weight of all coins in the set added together. For the 12 piece U.S. Gold Type set the Divisor is 40. So using the first example (MS64 coin), it would be 64 X 6.00 = 384. Divide the 384 by the Weight of 40 and you will get 9.600 points for that coin in that slot. Using the second example (MS65+ coin), it would be 65.5 X 6.00 = 393. Divide the 393 by the Weight of 40 and you will get 9.825 points for that coin in that slot. You can see the higher graded coin is worth more in that slot (9.825 verses 9.600) I hope this explains it a little bit for you and I did not further confuse you. Donato
    Thank you Donato.  Sorry for delayed response . Lots going on …. 

Deplorable and WineSteven,    I hear both of you .  I like DD’s 10 coin idea and I understand Steve about already having coins in one set and needing them again.    

I just had to buy more coins this week for 2 other 12 coin sets I’m doing .  And I can’t use any coins from a set I have in the registry . 😞

So I plunked down $6,850 for a G $1 type 1 66 cac and $4,200 for a G$1 type 3 67 cac .   So I have $11,000 in 2 coins I can enjoy and need another $10 to $15k+ for a type 2 .  $20 to $25 k in $1 coins which is money I could have used to get a $10 indian 66+ cac  or an amazing $3 princess .  ( I just missed that $10 Indian legend had up and 2 of Saint 67 cac coins )   I’m sick over it . 😭😫

I have a 12 coin gold type set in a capital plastics display .

Lastly I’ll be moving coins around and want a Pedigree 12 coin cac gold type set .   So far in the lower tray $5 Indian- Fairmont, $10 CC D.L.Hansen ( got it today )  , $10 Half Dome , $20 SS Central America 🇺🇸 and a $20 Saint - Elite Collections .   Looking for a $5 Simpson and other coins to fill the 1st tray of 6 coins  
    Sorry for the bunny trail 🙈🤓
  • @Vincent.Savage You are building an amazing Gold Type set. A WOW set for sure. Congrats on the latest pick ups. Hope all is well in your World.
  • My own gold set is a 20 piece set. I believe the choices are consistent with the rest of my type sets. If one is fairly serious about types, one certainly needs all three $1.00 pieces, I believe also the Motto and No Motto pieces. Since the Classic design is within my budget I added them as well. Not a registry guy, so my own rules.
  • @Vincent.Savage You are building an amazing Gold Type set. A WOW set for sure. Congrats on the latest pick ups. Hope all is well in your World.
      Trying buddy , it’s a living breathing docu… 😳  , I mean it’s constantly in flux . Sometimes coins I get after looking at them if they aren’t good enough I send them back or sell and buy another .   That’s why when I’m done with a position my coins are the nicest you’ll see anywhere !   Then occasionally I sell one or a few .  Shortly thereafter sellers remorse kicks in !!!!  😭😫🥹😂🤣