Caring for your coins — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Caring for your coins

I was wondering how you care for your coins. Being on the West Coast near the water it’s different then other regions. 
 I was told by a friend that with silver coins that a piece of copper should be placed with the coins. This  makes sense to me. The bank has a/c so the temp and humidity should be pretty constant. 
I know so people like intercept holders. What’s your preference?

Comments

• I keep some silver coins raw in 2X2 paper envelopes in my SDB and can't get them to take color, so I don't worry too much about the slabs. 
  • While I do care for my coins we are in then platonic friend zone
  • edited December 2021
    I use Lighthouse Intercept Protection Storage Box for 50 Slab Holders (they really hold about 60 PCGS slabs). Brooklyn Gallery sells them at $17.56 each, but if you buy 8 or more, the price drops to only $15.37 each.

If you use any Intercept Shield product, remember that it’s said the protection only lasts for about 10 years.

• Re Lighthouse Intercept Protection:  I was intrigued so I went to Brooklyn Gallery and it states:  “Each box is equipped with INTERCEPT TECHNOLOGY lining which purifies the atmosphere inside the box.”  What  “technology” achieves “purification” inside a coin box? Is there a purification meter on the outside of the box? I use plain old heavy duty cardboard double row coin boxes, but maybe I’m abusing my poor slabbed coins.  
  • It's their patented special lining which provides the chemical protection. I believe the hobby has accepted that it actually works.
  • I have had a few processed silver pieces turn in their holders and a few mucked up gold get cloudy, that said 99% of my coins look like the day I bought them with no effort. I know people will sell products that claim to protect extra but I am not sure any of them make a huge difference 
  • Crypto said:
    I have had a few processed silver pieces turn in their holders and a few mucked up gold get cloudy, that said 99% of my coins look like the day I bought them with no effort. I know people will sell products that claim to protect extra but I am not sure any of them make a huge difference 
    The main thing I worry about is my holder’s scratching so I make sure the coins are always in a plastic sleeve. I bought older PCGS holders so I tried to buy them with little or no scratches 
  • What is the best and safest  way to remove or lessen scratches on my PCGS holders? Tooth Paste or a commercial product. Please advise with your thoughts 
  • I would think that an economical way to protect silver would be to purchase some bulk silver cloth and cut a rectangle out that fit in the bottom of one of the current injection molded storage boxes.  You can buy it by the yard, and when one has been around too long, just toss it and cut a fresh piece from the roll.
  • Stevie said:
    What is the best and safest  way to remove or lessen scratches on my PCGS holders? Tooth Paste or a commercial product. Please advise with your thoughts 
    I use Slab-Renew. You can buy it off eBay and some other places. Works very well. There are other ways but I found this very reliable and works on some deeper scrapes than others. 
  • Posted this on CU but seems appropriate for this thread.  This is my tried and true storage and care method:

• Stevie said:
    Crypto said:
    I have had a few processed silver pieces turn in their holders and a few mucked up gold get cloudy, that said 99% of my coins look like the day I bought them with no effort. I know people will sell products that claim to protect extra but I am not sure any of them make a huge difference 
    The main thing I worry about is my holder’s scratching so I make sure the coins are always in a plastic sleeve. I bought older PCGS holders so I tried to buy them with little or no scratches 
    That’s a good point I have gotten many foggy scratches on many of my PCGS holders, not so much NGC
  • Thank you TurtleCat for recommending Slab-Renew. Really works very well. Light scratches on PCGS holders are very easy to remove. I need to work a few more times on a couple of old blue holders with deeper marks. My 1799 dollar slab was bad enough to get reholdered but now much improved. Was going to try for a 58+ at FUN but PCGS did not have on site grading.
    And then would have to send back to CAC. All good for now.
  • Slab-Renew is nothing but Novus repackaged and marked up for a middleman profit. It is okay but not as good as Meguiar's PlastX.

I polish scratches from a few hundred slabs every year as part of my photography business and have tried them all.
    Lance.
  • Do you really want to care for your coins? How about keeping them in a bank safe deposit box? Numerous customers have told me that their coins were stolen because they had stored them in their home and bragged to everyone about owning them. No home security system and safe can match the Fort Knox that is a bank vault, especially one located across the street from an FBI office, as mine is.
  • I have some clear cellophane sleeves that I place each of my slabs in whenever I buy a new coin. First, I clean the slab with a microfiber cloth, or use a scratch remover if it has scratches. They are crystal clear and fit snugly around the slab so you can still put them in the PCGS box. I like to look at and handle my coins alot, but I can't stand a dirty or scratched holder.
  • Hey @pointfivezero . Nice CC Morgan collection you have there!
  • CACfan said:
    Do you really want to care for your coins? How about keeping them in a bank safe deposit box? Numerous customers have told me that their coins were stolen because they had stored them in their home and bragged to everyone about owning them. No home security system and safe can match the Fort Knox that is a bank vault, especially one located across the street from an FBI office, as mine is.

Actually a Vault Depository is a better choice than a bank .   You can be denied access to your valuables under certain situations and you’re stuck with bankers hours.   I also don’t completely trust the bank.  If a bank moves etc , your goods could get lost .

I use Sarasota Vault Depository .    It is more secure , has better business hours and if you need to access your stuff at 0 dark 30 that is possible .  They just charge a reasonable fee for someone to come out to allow you to access your vault .   Highly recommended 
  • JohnTCoin: “I have some clear cellophane sleeves that I place each of my slabs in whenever I buy a new coin.” I started doing the same recently but with so many different sized slabs, it’s been tricky finding cellophane sleeves that correctly fit the many iterations of PCGS and NGC holders. Would you mind listing which ones you use for each different sized slab and where you buy them (on-line, I hope)? One good dealer recommended me to baseball card sleeves that I buy on Amazon, but they don’t fit Fatties, are too big for PCGS OGHs, and are too tight for some of the later PCGS slabs. If anyone else has recommendations, please share.

• @CACNUTCOLLECTOR I bought mine from Old Pueblo Coin in Tuscon AZ. They are 2 3/4" x 3 3/4" I haven't seen anymore on their website recently but if you emailed them I bet they would get back to you. Check out Ben the Coin Geek on YouTube. I'll upload a picture of the sleeves. They have an adhesive strip on the fold over flap that you activate by removing the tape covering it. I love them.