CAC is making some changes... - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC is making some changes...

2»

Comments

• I still insist that, due to potential subliminal bias alone, dealers should not sticker their own slabs, like Rick Snow does. CAC has safeguards that prevent this conflict of interest from happening during their own evaluation process.

And I wish that CAC had real competition for slab stickers. Even one major competitor would be great. Imagine the excitement it would generate.
  • edited March 2023
    CACfan said:

I still insist that, due to potential subliminal bias alone, dealers should not sticker their own slabs, like Rick Snow does. CAC has safeguards that prevent this conflict of interest from happening during their own evaluation process.

And I wish that CAC had real competition for slab stickers. Even one major competitor would be great. Imagine the excitement it would generate.

CAC DOES have competitors. but the problem is, other than CAC and Rick Snow, the others don't have the positive reputation of Rick and JA.

Since you're using a CAC sponsored forum, at NO charge to you, can you provide us YOUR business name, so we can then suggest additional competition for YOU? Imagine the excitement it would generate! I'd love nothing more than to compare your offerings and terms to others, and then in an unbiased manner suggest specifically why buyers should consider using a competitor, if warranted.
  • CACfan said:

I still insist that, due to potential subliminal bias alone, dealers should not sticker their own slabs, like Rick Snow does. CAC has safeguards that prevent this conflict of interest from happening during their own evaluation process.

CAC DOES have competitors. but the problem is, other than CAC and Rick Snow, the others don't have the positive reputation of Rick and JA.

Since you're using a CAC sponsored forum, at NO charge to you, can you provide us YOUR business name, so we can then suggest additional competition for YOU? Imagine the excitement it would generate! I'd love nothing more than to compare your offerings and terms to others, and then in an unbiased manner suggest specifically why buyers should consider using a competitor, if warranted.
    "...Not bad, Winesteven, not bad at all..." (Paraphrasing POTUS in Independence Day.
  • CAC does NOT have "real competition", as my OP stated. Do not cite Rick Snow's service because it only approved Indian cents including his own coins!

My business names are completely unrelated to any pertinent subject in this CAC forum. Almost all others who post hereon are likewise anonymous. We do not lose our anonymity merely because you disagree with our bona fide opinions.

• CACfan said:

CAC does NOT have "real competition", as my OP stated. Do not cite Rick Snow's service because it only approved Indian cents including his own coins!

My business names are completely unrelated to any pertinent subject in this CAC forum. Almost all others who post hereon are likewise anonymous. We do not lose our anonymity merely because you disagree with our bona fide opinions.

With the advent of CACG, do you not consider PCGS or NGC to be "real competition"?
  • edited March 2023
    CACfan said:

CAC does NOT have "real competition", as my OP stated. Do not cite Rick Snow's service because it only approved Indian cents including his own coins!

1. Correction on your comment. Rick applies his Eagle Eye Photo Seal to Flying Eagle Cents AND Indian Head Cents, NOT just Indian Head Cents.
    2. There is competition with other stickers, but as noted, it's insignificant, as they don't have the high reputation of JA and Rick Snow.
    3. While you didn't say otherwise, it should be clear that Rick applies his Eagle Eye Photo Seal to coins not sold by him. The vast majority of my Flying Eagles and Indian Cents were bought at various auctions, along with a few other dealers, and upon submission to Rick, he determined they merited his Photo Seal, Yes, I bought a few of my coins from Rick, but that's a small minority. Rick is the worlds foremost authority on Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents, and he has EARNED the respect of the numismatic community.
    4. Regarding your business, yes, you absolutely have the right to remain anonymous. I just find it humorous that you choose to publicly wish that CAC had sticker competition, and indicate it would be great, right on front of their nose, on THEIR forum, while you choose to hide behind your right of anonymity, so that additional competition can't be wished toward you.
  • edited March 2023
    You cannot be serious. For 99.9% of coins accepted by CAC, CAC is the ONLY slab sticker company in business (that even remotely matters). Years ago, the CDN claimed that there were 25,000 full time dealers of U.S. coins. Thus, I have 25,000 competitors versus CAC's ZERO.

You are just stretching to find an excuse to argue.

And Rick Snow should not be approving his own slabs because it dilutes his brand and the conflict of interest is overwhelming. To me, it just seems like a marketing gimmick. Curiously, several of my coins approved by his service were rejected by CAC.

mod edit: The deleted section is speculation and you aren't providing proof so we won't let it stand as an accusation
  • edited March 2023
    I disagree, as I'm sure many other knowledgeable people do too. Go right ahead and believe what you choose to believe.

With that said, I suggest you keep that opinion to yourself, and perhaps share it with others only privately. It's not right to say negative things in a public forum about others in the numismatic community, and probably against CAC Forum rules, to besmirch others. If YOUR business warranted negative comments, this would not be the place for that either, despite the personal feelings many have. But alas, you have anonymity from that potential!
  • edited March 2023
    CACfan said:

You cannot be serious. For 99.9% of coins accepted by CAC, CAC is the ONLY slab sticker company in business (that even remotely matters). Years ago, the CDN claimed that there were 25,000 full time dealers of U.S. coins. Thus, I have 25,000 competitors versus CAC's ZERO.

You are just stretching to find an excuse to argue.

And Rick Snow should not be approving his own slabs because it dilutes his brand and the conflict of interest is overwhelming. To me, it just seems like a marketing gimmick. Curiously, several of my coins approved by his service were rejected by CAC.

I suspect that the vast majority of Eagle Eye stickers are on slabs approved when Snow owned them. Yup, marketing gimmick.

For your educational benefit, Rick and JA each place different "weights" on the various factors involved in determining if a coin merits their sticker. You are correct that there are coins that merit an Eagle Eye Photo Seal but not a CAC sticker, and there are also plenty of coins with CAC stickers that don't merit a Photo Seal. In my opinion, having BOTH of those stickers is the best of both worlds!

By the way, Rick tends to buy mainly coins that he deems merit his sticker, passing on others. Hence most of the coins he sells has his sticker. Nothing nefarious about that. And as I correctly pointed out, the vast majority of my coins with Photo Seals didn't have them until I submitted them after my purchase from elsewhere to Rick.

Finally, as I'm sure you know, CAC sells coins too, but wholesale, not retail. And I'm sure you would know that they sell THEIR coins that THEY'VE stickered! They choose to buy coins that have merited their stickers, so that's what they sell. As noted Rick mainly buys coins that merit his stickers, so that's mainly what he sells, but he does buy and sell some coins that don't merit his sticker. Overall, not too different!
  • I disagree, as I'm sure many other knowledgeable people do too. Go right ahead and believe what you choose to believe.

With that said, I suggest you keep that opinion to yourself, and perhaps share it with others only privately. It's not right to say negative things in a public forum about others in the numismatic community, and probably against CAC Forum rules, to besmirch others. If YOUR business warranted negative comments, this would not be the place for that either, despite the personal feelings many have. But alas, you have anonymity from that potential!

There's a reason he's anonymous.

I expect CAC's biggest competitor is coins not being submitted to them. The coins not submitted to them likely outweigh the amount they've ever seen, and in probably a pretty good ratio.
  • FlyingAl said:

I disagree, as I'm sure many other knowledgeable people do too. Go right ahead and believe what you choose to believe.

I expect CAC's biggest competitor is coins not being submitted to them. The coins not submitted to them likely outweigh the amount they've ever seen, and in probably a pretty good ratio.
    Absolutely, by MANY multitudes. Not even close, even taking into account only coins that are accepted by CAC.
  • CACfan said:

We do not lose our anonymity merely because you disagree with our bona fide opinions.

• FlyingAl said:

Absolutely, by MANY multitudes. Not even close, even taking into account only coins that are accepted by CAC.
    NGC alone has certified 35 million US coins. Take another 7 million for World coins.

It looks like in 2015 CAC had seen 650,000 coins. I'd say we can say they haven't crossed the double mark yet, so 1.3 million seems realistic until I can find a better number.

That means the ratio of coins graded to coins CAC sees is 40:1 for only NGC. It's probably close to 80:1 if we include PCGS.
  • edited March 2023
    Although for accuracy, in theory one should calculate the numbers only for the coin types that CAC accepts. CAC does not accept modern or World coins. Regardless, the conclusion will be similar - the vast majority of graded coins that CAC accepts has not been to NJ.

However, with that said, I believe the story is quite different for coins placed for sale valued at $1,000 and higher that CAC does accept. While no doubt some have not been to CAC, I believe the majority have. For sellers of four figure coins that might merit a sticker, I believe sellers are leaving money on the table if they have not been submitted.
  • edited March 2023
    Just to bring this thread somewhat back on track, I used the older ICCS 2x2 sealed mini-envelopes as a “stickering” service to modify the PCGS slabbed grade on my Canadian coin collection back in the day when ICCS was much more conservative than PCGS.

• That’s interesting, my last 2 submissions with a dolphin sticker did not pass cac review, wonder if I should read anything Into that. I think we know what company that is. However an 11-D saint in ms65 i bought on ebay from Canada had a sticker on the back saying 2007-2008
    Toronto coin show got the bean, i think for the same reason old green holders and old fatties are so much sought after. Cause I can count the number of ms65 saints I’ve gotten to cac on one hand.