Need a seated guy advice — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Need a seated guy advice

Bought this coin. 1869 S quarter. Po01. I know it's worn but in hand with my 30x loupe I can't see any bit of a mint mark. I've taken the best pictures I can to post. Am I just not seeing it? I got it on ebay and the seller said he wasn't a coin guy. It was his grandpa collection and he sent it to pcgs with whatever info his grandpa had written in the holder. 

Comments

• That looks like an S but not where it should be?
  • I'm a guy who is currently seated, but I don't have a clue.
  • It’s there, almost gone but it’s faintly visible 

• IDK, shouldn't it be more left? More toward the corner of the arrow than in the middle?

• VERTIGO said:
    IDK, shouldn't it be more left? More toward the corner of the arrow than in the middle?

I see what you mean, and when I made my comment I was looking at a 69-s half dollar where the mint mark is more to the right. If you look in the close up to the left of where I originally circled, I’m pretty sure it’s there but it looks doubled. I’m not sure what the original area I circled is, maybe that’s pareidolia 🤷 

• VERTIGO said:
    IDK, shouldn't it be more left? More toward the corner of the arrow than in the middle?

I see what you mean, and when I made my comment I was looking at a 69-s half dollar where the mint mark is more to the right. If you look in the close up to the left of where I originally circled, I’m pretty sure it’s there but it looks doubled. I’m not sure what the original area I circled is, maybe that’s pareidolia 🤷 

It's crazy. In hand with a loupe you can't see anything. From a distance you think you do. I also know some years the mm moves on coins as well. I can't find any pictures of 69s with mm in any other spot yet though. I live in NH. I am going to take this to Rare coins nh and let those guys look at this thing. I'll see what their take is. They have been around a long time. Then I'll go from there. I was going to send this to CAC anyway. Might do it with a note to JA. See what his take is. I didn't buy this thinking it was a cherry pick. I collect lowball. I bought this because it was scarce and pop 1/1 with no fr02. And someone else mentioned this from the seller pictures. That it looked missing. 
  • Well I found this image of a 1866S po01. It is the only one I can find courtesy of Heritage. We aren't trying to guess where that MM is?

• For those curious, here is the update. Went to RCNH had my friend there look at it and we had to get Warren to make the final determination. It is in fact an 1869S. The s mint mark is worn off. The diagnostic used to identify this as an S mint came from "The comprehensive encyclopedia of united states liberty seated quarters" by Larry Briggs. There is a die crack across liberty head on the obverse. You can't even hardly see it in the pictures. In hand i had to have my 30x loupe and this picture out to really finally see it. But it is in fact correct. 

• Nice detective work! I always love trying to attribute coins, capped halves and bust dollars especially.
  • WilliamJ said:
    Nice detective work! I always love trying to attribute coins, capped halves and bust dollars especially.
    I have another poor raw seated quarter. I believe it to be the 1858 O. It is either that or the 59 O. I was just using the online version to see. The 8 or 9 is nearly gone. All you can see is the curve. I might send it in someday to have them grade it after seeing this. 
  • That 66-S picture above is my coin!
  • LarryC said:
    That 66-S picture above is my coin!
    Oh nice!