Would you buy an overgraded (probably overpriced) piece of junk coin just because... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Would you buy an overgraded (probably overpriced) piece of junk coin just because...

there may actually not exist a coin for that date/mm/strike designation any nicer? It's quite a dilemma actually.

Comments

• Well…not exactly; however, some coins are soooo tough that if you want an example within a given budget you have to lower your standard or you will never own that elusive coin to complete whatever set your working on. I recently purchased this 1793 Chain Cent and it’s better than most for the assigned grade. I’m just happy to finally own one that’s needed to complete my Type Set!
  • That's no piece of junk! I'm more talking about how nice the coin is relative to the grade given. If I was super rich of course I could just buy it anyway or even get it downgraded or do whatever I want with it. But cash is precious and I need to choose very carefully.
  • If I were to fill this hole there would probably be some kind of acceptable ED to go with the coin...
  • That’s a really nice chain cent, by no means “junk”. I have filled a couple holes with “details” coins that are really nice, other than the main problem, which can become quite personal on what one wants to accept.