Couple of PCGS Franklin DCAM's back from CAC, both cracked out of competitors slabs. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Couple of PCGS Franklin DCAM's back from CAC, both cracked out of competitors slabs.

edited February 2023 in Silver Coins
Both cracked out of competitors slabs.

The contrast and freedom from hairlines on both are virtually identical. The 1957 has a small (can't be seen in my crappy pix) planchet bubble/lamination on the reverse that I am guessing prevented a bean.

Interesting backstory on the 1956. While it was still in the NGC67UCAM holder I decided to give NGC's sad, sad, sad Variety Attribution service ONE MORE TRY. Stupid me! They returned the coin as "NO DOUBLED DIE".

So I cracked it out and sent it to PCGS who not only properly recognized the variety, but gave a nice upgrade as well! Thank you NGC for your failure turned out to be a boon for me!

This makes only the second FS-801 to garner the DCAM. The only other PCGS DCAM is a PF68+DCAM that coincidentally also was an upgrade from an NGC PR68CAM (unattributed FS-801).

Comments

• Nice!

I've had nothing but a world of pain from PCGS's variety service, so I suppose my experience is quite the opposite of yours. NGC has always gotten it right the first time for me. Either way, great black and white proof!
  • edited February 2023
    That is indeed the absolute opposite of my experience with NGC.

I even enclosed a note to NGC with this FS-801 to the effect of, " This is absolutely the requested variety. NGC has failed to recognize several others fo this same variety I have sent. If there is any question about this one please contact me. Don't deny the variety and return the coin to me undesignated. This variety has markers that are 100% foolproof and present on EVERY example. Please contact me if you need help spotting the markers."

They completely ignored my plea. It is amazing to me that anyone working with varieties does not realize there is a die state progression, and consequently not every example is necessarily going to look exactly like your reference images. NGC has some real amateurs in their midst.

I used to wonder why some of the Franklin Varieties had such low populations at NGC relative to PCGS. Now I suspect that the reason is because folks don't submit their varieties to NGC because of NGC's poor performance.
  • That is indeed the absolute opposite of my experience with NGC.

I even enclosed a note to NGC with this FS-801 to the effect of, " This is absolutely the requested variety. NGC has failed to recognize several others fo this same variety I have sent. If there is any question about this one please contact me. Don't deny the variety and return the coin to me undesignated. This variety has markers that are 100% foolproof and present on EVERY example. Please contact me if you need help spotting the markers."

They completely ignored my plea. It is amazing to me that anyone working with varieties does not realize there is a die state progression, and consequently not every example is necessarily going to look exactly like your reference images. NGC has some real amateurs in their midst.

I used to wonder why some of the Franklin Varieties had such low populations at NGC relative to PCGS. Now I suspect that the reason is because folks don't submit their varieties to NGC because of NGC's poor performance.

Well, I can't say I blame them for not letting outside information into the grading room. Doing so would simply be bad practice, and they have no way of knowing if the submitter is right. Think of the new collectors we see that have a parking lot coin they swear is an ultra rare error - and then imagine the graders having to deal with stuff like that 24/7.

Playing devil's advocate, I have no idea if the coin in your post is actually a DDR. It's extremely unlikely, but both PCGS and you could be wrong (it's a possibility that I can't rule out until I verify the variety myself.)

After my experience with PCGS, NGC gets all of my varieties. Based on how many complaints there are about their variety service, they must be hovering at an abysmally low success rate for getting varieties right.

It's funny how both of us had the same exact experience with two different TPGS. Maybe it's time for the services to pay up for a good variety expert?
  • edited February 2023
    What are the die markers of the DDR FS 801? @Bushmaster I have seen a couple of these coins and the doubling. Just curious, I have one proof that might be a DDR FS 801 but I am not positive.