WHAT PEDIGREES WILL YOU ALWAYS BUY? - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

WHAT PEDIGREES WILL YOU ALWAYS BUY?

Comments

• i showed this fantasy token to JA years ago and he noted the small spot of corrosion above the ES of STATES. I thought to myself that if he looked that good at 150 plus years he should sticker himself. LOL.
  • Not a fancy pedigree but I got to pick through Brown’s collection back in 1996 from Sheridan Downey at his office in Oakland, CA. These two are part of my Type Set. I’ve never seen this pedigree since!

• edited March 2023
    LarryC said:

Not a fancy pedigree but I got to pick through Brown’s collection back in 1996 from Sheridan Downey at his office in Oakland, CA. These two are part of my Type Set. I’ve never seen this pedigree since!

If Brown was a red copper cent collector his pedigree would hurt the value of his red cents! 🥸
  • Here's couple I would avoid like the plague (if they even exist):

Chrans, House, Cianco
  • We sort of got off topic. I was politely trying to say there are just a handful of pedigrees that really mean something. Look at Blay. The guy had one of the BEST eyes ever-in many series. Sure he may have 2-3 lemons out of a 500 coins, but if a coin came from his collection-I do not need to see it to make a bid on it. You can not say that about many collections.

To the DLH bashers, I think he has learned his lesson. He is going to take his lumps and cross or down cross (for the coins that will) to all CAC. The ones that don't make it, I'm sure he will sell.

• edited March 2023
    Legend said:

We sort of got off topic. I was politely trying to say there are just a handful of pedigrees that really mean something. Look at Blay. The guy had one of the BEST eyes ever-in many series. Sure he may have 2-3 lemons out of a 500 coins, but if a coin came from his collection-I do not need to see it to make a bid on it. You can not say that about many collections.

To the DLH bashers, I think he has learned his lesson. He is going to take his lumps and cross or down cross (for the coins that will) to all CAC. The ones that don't make it, I'm sure he will sell.

I agree. I did not bash him. He is definitely learning and is no longer a newbie. In fact, I like that he wants to get his family involved in collecting coins. Better than I can do with my family!

• Legend said:

To the DLH bashers, I think he has learned his lesson. He is going to take his lumps and cross or down cross (for the coins that will) to all CAC.

Oh boy! That's surely going to effect turn-around-times. But great idea...

• I think that y'all are underestimating Norweb and Eliasberg. Their coins were obviously handpicked although they settled for lower quality coins if nothing better was available.
  • Eliasberg had no eye-Clapp did-which is guess counts the same. But I would never buy and Eliasberg coin sightunseen. Too many coins are too dark or have hidden problems
  • edited March 2023
    CACfan said:

I think that y'all are underestimating Norweb and Eliasberg. Their coins were obviously handpicked although they settled for lower quality coins if nothing better was available.

Absolutely not the case!

I am not going to repeat the Norweb and Eliasberg pedigree names when they have already been stated unless I had a special photo I wanted to post (in the case of Eliasberg). In fact I admired Mrs Norweb as she was my mentor in collecting coins when I went to College in Cleveland, Ohio. I was lucky enough to have viewed her collection and learn her concept of collecting.

I was lucky enough to have acquired a few of the original Norweb pedigree coins in their original mini 2x2 paper pouches. I even bought her very very FIRST coin she owned which was a gift from her Liberty Holden which was a holed 1795 $10 gold coin still in the raw.

I even own Emory and her son's finest trio of Canada 1875-H half dime, dime and quarter coins graded by both ICCS and PCGS. as well as their 1871 Newfoundland cent. I have owned them for over 25 years,

as far as Eliasberg, I fully agree with Laura Legend in that Eliasberg had such an extensive collection that he acquired numerous inferior coins to go along with his superior coins plus NGC started on their road of overgrading for the huge Eliasberg auction which I cringed when viewing the coins.

Yet I liked Eliasberg collection of foreign coin and indeed I bought the most Mexico 1 peso gold of anyone at his Bowers Auction. I even bought his final acquisition, a 1 ounce 1965 Peru gold coin at bullion value. .
  • So very nice! I also agree with your points.

Thanks for sharing!
  • I own one of DLH's coins and he added his custom label but honored the coin's previous Northern Lights pedigree, which I was glad to see. 2nd image is from TrueView

• edited March 2023
    James Bennett Pryor
    Newman and/or Green
    Richmond

• edited March 2023
    I just found in my old purchases an old civil war token in the raw from the original Garrett collection!!

It was still in the original tiny 1x1 pink paper envelope with the lot number from an auction from many years ago with a signed letter of authenticity.

I will write the details and take a photo and post.

• Nice find @oreville I would love to see it!
  • WilliamJ said:

Nice find @oreville I would love to see it!

I hope to take a photo but not good with uploading it to the internet.

• > WHAT PEDIGREES WILL YOU ALWAYS BUY?

@oreville (at least among series that I collect, and no winter coats)
  • oreville said:

WilliamJ said:

Nice find @oreville I would love to see it!

I hope to take a photo but not good with uploading it to the internet.

Which civil war token is it?
  • It is an EF 52//342 R1 a 1864 "Union Forever' Civil War token. as part of The Garrett Collection Part IV sold by Bowers & Ruddy March 25 & 26, 1981.

It accompanies a signed ;letter of Authenticity from Robert D Marcus stating:
    :
    This is to certify that I purchased Lot no, 2126 from the Garrett Collection Sale in March 1981. The lot consisted of 123 Civil War tokens that were offered as a group in the single lot. The Garrett Collection is the singlemost (sic) valuable collection collection of coins, medals and tokens offered for sale (my edit: up to that time) . I hereby certify that the following Civil War token was directly from that lot in the Garrett Sale.
    532/342 R1

Signed Robert D Marcus.
    Fairfax Station VA

A gorgeous even medium brown cent sized token.