Are all old sets being broken up? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Are all old sets being broken up?

edited February 2023 in General
There is a message from another poster:

«123»
Comments
oldabeoldabe
October 2022 Flag
I agree it's a shame when a rare set is broken up. I'm glad the Tyrant collection has kept the King of Siam set together. If my pockets were deep enough I would collect early sets and keep them intact. I've put together some early sets and have done my best to match appearance and quality, but don't have the patience to be other than partially successful.

My response is that there are still some nice unopened obw unc rolls of classic 20th century coins from the 1930’s to the 1960’s.

While they might not be matched 19th century original proof sets, at least some of the more modern sets survive in their original state unbroken. All is not lost.

Even Laura of Legend Numismatics sold me two nice 1956 and 1956-D obw unc rooselvelt dime rolls nearly 10 years ago,

They are still intact.

Comments

• I have a catalog from Bowers and Merena (?) from 1987 where the King of Siam set failed to get the opening bid of @ $2 million
     It was being sold with the original leather case. The case was definitely part of the experience of owning it.
  • Hi Tyrock, I was able to view the King of Siam set at Superior in May 1990 in the Boys Town Sale. Was really cool to view the coins in hand. Realized $3,190,000.
    Seemed like a good deal if someone had the money. Plenty of great coins in that sale.
  • I recall being saddened when the Siam set was removed and broken up. Wish I had the resources to buy the set and keep it all together for another generation or leave it to an institution to display. 
  • oldabe said:

I recall being saddened when the Siam set was removed and broken up. Wish I had the resources to buy the set and keep it all together for another generation or leave it to an institution to display. 

I just wish I had the resources, period, lol.

Steve
  • The King of Siam set is in the incredible Tyrant Collection.
  • edited June 2023
    Sorry, I could not afford the taxes I would need to pay by selling my Apple and Nvidia stock to acquire the King of Siam set. I wished I had a bigger Roth IRA account.

I wonder if anyone has a very large self directed Roth IRA account consisting of numismatic coins?

I have seen self directed IRA accounts but not seen self directed Roth IRA accounts.
  • Coinbert said:
    The King of Siam set is in the incredible Tyrant Collection.
    So it is intact, but slabbed? 
  • I prefer valuable early Proof coins to be slabbed to prevent any future mishandling or damage. Probably should say all valuable coins. Went to my first auction at Stack’s (Harry Warshaw) in 1989. An almost complete run of Proofs from 1856 to 1916. The coins were in the larger plastic flips and I am sure many acquired additional hairlines during auction lot viewing.
  • I had a similar experience in the 80's. An estate liquidator had a $4 Stella in a plastic flip during auction viewing. My friend went to the man in charge and explained that after all the viewers handled the coin the grade could drop from MS-65 to MS-63. He didn't care and took no action. :/
  • Amazing some of these coins have survived for so long and are still in such good condition.