Starting a write in here, trying to convince the powers that be to also use lucite — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Starting a write in here, trying to convince the powers that be to also use lucite

blocks to encapsulate old ngc no line fatties so that those owners can have the best of both worlds.;)

Comments

• Why? I don't understand why you want to place blocks? Maybe you shouldn't submit those to CACG if they have such great value to you.
  • edited March 2023
    Oh now I follow. I agree with @JohnButler.
  • just as I have gotten the cac sticker on most of the coins in my collection, have CAC's new slabs house my old slabs would be a tremendous bonus. Having old slabs, coins that were conservatively graded and encased for 30+ years so no coin doctor got to them is an approach to collecting that I find the most securest. So keeping them in said holders and regraded by our host would be a complete win with additional insurance.
  • Isnt stickering an old holder slab the same?
  • edited March 2023
    oreville said:
    Isnt stickering an old holder slab the same?
    Not if we're talking coins they don't currently sticker, kennedy halves, Jefferson nickels, ike proofs to name a few. And I don't see it as a bad idea. 
  • oreville said:

agree
  • Having Ike proofs in a old slab is nearly a perfect oxymoron?
  • Realone said:

just as I have gotten the cac sticker on most of the coins in my collection, have CAC's new slabs house my old slabs would be a tremendous bonus. Having old slabs, coins that were conservatively graded and encased for 30+ years so no coin doctor got to them is an approach to collecting that I find the most securest. So keeping them in said holders and regraded by our host would be a complete win with additional insurance.

I don't foresee much of a demand for this type of service. I would think the tooling cost of the dies for making the holder would be too much to recover in a reasonable time period. Seems like the holder would have to be at least 3" by 4 1/4" by 5/8". Then you might also need a different sealing machine for this process.
    I'm not sure what the minimum order size that would be needed to be to make it worthwhile to pursue making the dies for the plastic for these. Just as a guess I would think CACG would need a commitment from customers to have at least 1000+ coins total with a minimum price in the $50-75 per coin range if current sealing machines can be used. If a different machine needs to be used then the price might have to be $100 or more. Then what happens if the holder that gets sealed starts cracking during the sealing process? Who's liability is that? How much of a liability is it? Does the customer just get refunded a re-holder fee? Does CACG have to send it back to PCGS or NGC to get reholdered then re-sealed? CACG wouldn't want to be paying out a premium liability because it happened to be in a early generation holder like a Black NGC holder. The liability would have to capped to the value of getting it reholdered. Seems like it could get problematic very easily to me.

I think CACG needs to stay focus on getting the grading consistent and operations efficient before pursuing tangents such as this one.

• I would prefer to see a seal wrapped around it like the GSA before I would a holder that encapsulates the older holder. That way the older holder isn't any larger. I wouldn't buy a graded GSA that was encapsulated into another holder. The GSA themselves are large enough as it is. And yes I prefer to leave them in the GSA versus cracking them out. 
  • An alternative - zip lock bags! :D
  • Perhaps a seal but a bit different from the NGC GSA one. A tamper evident seal that runs along the two long sides that would help to add some light environment protection but also make it much more difficult for someone to attempt to crack and re-seal a slab.
  • VERTIGO said:

oreville said:

Not if we're talking coins they don't currently sticker, kennedy halves, Jefferson nickels, ike proofs to name a few. And I don't see it as a bad idea. 

Those don't sound like the types of coins that Realone collects.
  • TurtleCat said:
    Perhaps a seal but a bit different from the NGC GSA one. A tamper evident seal that runs along the two long sides that would help to add some light environment protection but also make it much more difficult for someone to attempt to crack and re-seal a slab.
    Are these gas holders subject to tampering?  I have always wondered.