Should a green sticker be kept or go for the next PCGS grade level? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Should a green sticker be kept or go for the next PCGS grade level?

If you have green sticker coins that could make the next grade at PCGS or NGC would you do it if the price difference is nominal and it’s not a gold coin or early scarce type?

Comments

• edited December 2021
    WARNING - MY LANGUAGE IS CONFUSING (it’s after midnight), SO YOU MAY NEED TO READ THIS A COUPLE OF TIMES TO UNDERSTAND MY POINTS!

Not mentioned in the OP is a valid assumption that if the coin in the next higher grade is only nominally higher in value than the current grade, then chances are high that the CAC “premium” for a coin in the current grade is small compared to a coin in the same current grade without a CAC.

So now to your question. For ME, If the price difference between the current grade and next higher whole grade is small, I would not seek that next whole grade and risk losing the sticker, EVEN IF THE CAC “premium” for the current grade having the sticker is small compared to the value of a coin in the current grade without a sticker.

BUT, if the value of the coin in the next higher whole grade is significantly higher without a CAC than the lower value of the current grade with a CAC, then yes, I would be interested in having that coin get the higher grade, even if it loses it’s CAC sticker.

Here’s a perfect example: I have a lovely common date 1925 Peace Dollar graded MS66+ by PCGS with a CAC, worth about $1,000 - $1,400 with a CAC. If this exact coin were to upgrade to a 67, it would probably be worth in the neighborhood of $4,000 without a CAC (and a couple more thousand on top of that if it got the CAC sticker back). FOR ME, I’d take the 67, even if it meant losing the CAC.

• WARNING - MY LANGUAGE IS CONFUSING (it’s after midnight), SO YOU MAY NEED TO READ THIS A COUPLE OF TIMES TO UNDERSTAND MY POINTS!

Not mentioned in the OP is a valid assumption that if the coin in the next higher grade is only nominally higher in value than the current grade, then chances are high that the CAC “premium” for a coin in the current grade is small compared to a coin in the same current grade without a CAC.

So now to your question. For ME, If the price difference between the current grade and next higher whole grade is small, I would not seek that next whole grade and risk losing the sticker, EVEN IF THE CAC “premium” for the current grade having the sticker is small compared to the value of a coin in the current grade without a sticker.

BUT, if the value of the coin in the next higher whole grade is significantly higher without a CAC than the lower value of the current grade with a CAC, then yes, I would be interested in having that coin get the higher grade, even if it loses it’s CAC sticker.

Here’s a perfect example: I have a lovely common date 1925 Peace Dollar graded MS66+ by PCGS with a CAC, worth about $1,000 - $1,400 with a CAC. If this exact coin were to upgrade to a 67, it would probably be worth in the neighborhood of $4,000 without a CAC (and a couple more thousand on top of that if it got the CAC sticker back). FOR ME, I’d take the 67, even if it meant losing the CAC.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. And I only needed to read it once. As far as marketability, if the increase is small, the bean would likely bring more than the next grade without. 
  • I completely agree with Winesteven, except in the case of certain PCGS AU58+ coins that have a CAC sticker. 

Resubmitting in the hopes of getting a 61 or 62 and risk losing the CAC sticker would not be wise in my opinion. I have seen some beautifully toned 58+ CAC coins sell for between 62-63 money. I would likely leave all the 58+ CAC coins as is. The allure of a 58+ CAC coin, especially a beautifully toned one, will usually command a premium that will outweigh most potential upgrade benefit. 

Dave
  • Ask yourself if you bought the coin at the higher next grade up and it subsequently failed CAC, would you be satisfied?  Your answer should guide you. 
  • My opinion in this day and age.  NO WAY you are getting an MS-67 on ANY Peace Dollar.  Not even the slightest chance.

• The coin above is nice, but not a 67.

• Well, I did this exact thing with a 1924 PCGS MS66+ CAC coin that upgraded to PCGS MS67 no CAC.  In the 66+ CAC holder I paid a significant premium to acquire it.  In the MS67 no-CAC holder it sold for a little less than an average 67.  In this single instance, the difference in price wasn't as big as I anticipated.

It's also one of the few coins I've sold that I'd like to have back.  It was insanely lustrous and frosty, albeit with a bit of detail mushiness.  Seems like a very late die state 1924 that you can sometimes find.  At the time I regarded "making" a 67 from a 66+ on a regrade submission a real accomplishment.  Actually, I still do.   :)

Even so, the coin looked pretty much the same in either holder.    ;)

• So I have a third finest CBH that resides in a PCGS 63+ CAC holder. The two higher graded coins are both PCGS 64+ without a sticker. I’m not sure if they have been tried at CAC but my hunch is they have and failed. 

My 63+ also happens to be just one of only five in MS at PCGS and the only MS example with a CAC sticker. 

Would you try for an upgrade to 64 and risk losing the sticker or keep it as is?

Dave
  • edited December 2021
    There have been a number of coins that green beaned at one grade, upgraded a full point, and green beaned again, so I say go for it, the grade and the bean :)
  • drddm said:
    So I have a third finest CBH that resides in a PCGS 63+ CAC holder. The two higher graded coins are both PCGS 64+ without a sticker. I’m not sure if they have been tried at CAC but my hunch is they have and failed. 

My 63+ also happens to be just one of only five in MS at PCGS and the only MS example with a CAC sticker. 

Would you try for an upgrade to 64 and risk losing the sticker or keep it as is?

Dave
    what is CBH?
  • Stevie said:
    drddm said:
    So I have a third finest CBH that resides in a PCGS 63+ CAC holder. The two higher graded coins are both PCGS 64+ without a sticker. I’m not sure if they have been tried at CAC but my hunch is they have and failed. 

Dave
    what is CBH?
    Capped Bust Half