DO YOU THINK MAJOR SHOWS ARE DYING? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

DO YOU THINK MAJOR SHOWS ARE DYING?

Comments

• The biggest problem with major shows (imho) is that dealers get in first and buy all the good stuff before collectors, then mark it up.

How many times do you go to a show and strike out, then keep coming back time after time? Eventually the one or two shows every couple years you land something good just don't justify the costs/expenses of traveling to them.

There was at least one major dealer/buyer at Baltimore, by the way.
  • The biggest problem with major shows (imho) is that dealers get in first and buy all the good stuff before collectors, then mark it up. How many times do you go to a show and strike out, then keep coming back time after time? Eventually the one or two shows every couple years you land something good just don't justify the costs/expenses of traveling to them. There was at least one major dealer/buyer at Baltimore, by the way.
    The first sentence is spot on!
  • NicNic
    edited March 2023
    The preshow wholesale rooms have existed for a long time and will not go away soon.
  • hey I am a dealer, I cancelled my trip to the show for Wed. The few sharks that attended were there MONDAY!!! There is a serious lack of neat coins anyway. They seem t go right to auction these days.
  • As far as Baltimore goes, it has turned into a ghost town compared to just four years ago now. Any positive energy in and around the inner harbor has vanished, due in part to covid, but more so with racial tension/political issues.

We have already covered this “Brave New World” thing pertaining to numismatics, yet it reaches so much further. The writing was on the walls many years prior. We have, in a way, become isolationist, trapped and controlled by the advances of technology and the convenience of hand held portable computers.

Why should one spend the time, money, and energy…including travel nightmares, to end up not buying a single coin at a show. Sure, the social aspect is always a bonus, but you gotta ask yourself at the end of the day, is it worth it ?
  • I live pretty close to Long Beach and haven’t missed too many shows in twenty years. I go for multiple reasons even though I hardly ever buy anything at a show. Viewing auction coins and comparing PCGS, NGC, and CAC coins is invaluable. I enjoy the social aspects of a show. I get to catch up with coin friends and dealers who I do business with. If I had to travel more than an hour I’m not sure how often I would attend a show.
  • As previously noted above by others, crime is up at Baltimore, criminal rights are stronger, and victim rights are lower. Several major cities I will no longer visit. I’m a scaredy-cat!
  • Yes, it was 1 bad show... Despite that, people need to chill out. On the whole, attendance at shows in general has been strong over the last few years. Personally, I would like to see the Whitman show revised to the following: 1 dealer day and 1 public day (Fri/Sat). Require dealers contractually to attend and stay for both days. I was disappointed to drive 3 hours, pay $30 to park, pay $30 for lunch, stay for 4 hours, drive home 3 hours. I only bought 3 lower end coins. This was on Friday and several dealers were already gone. The remaining dealers' inventory was picked clean. Anything I asked about was WAYYYY over bid (and in one case TWICE bid). One miserable dealer just looked up at me and gave me a dirty look when I approached his table after I said hello. I overheard many people haggling over the price of gold, as this seemed to be a major factor contributing to some of this show's stagnation. It is also frustrating seeing a big pile of stuff "turned upsidedown" in their case. I could often see goodies in there but every time I inquired I was told the inevitable (that stuff is not for sale). Anyway, yes I am have had good shows and I have had bad shows. To somehow correlate 1 bad show into "major shows are dying" is just absurd.
  • Coins at dealer tables which are not for sale for ANY reason should be OUT OF THE DISPLAY CASES !!!

After a while, one learns who likes to play head games for ego.
  • This wasn't the first bad show of late people have and there.

Plus there was a serious security issue-someone got followed in their uber/lyft.
  • Ugh! Baltimore!
  • Pyrite said:

Coins at dealer tables which are not for sale for ANY reason should be OUT OF THE DISPLAY CASES !!!

I concur, with one exception. The person at a Show that has pieces for sale, and also has Collector Displays for the enjoyment of the attendees in a separate presentation at the same table. The funny thing is, that separate presentation usually receives the most "how much" enquiry. The same scenario also occurs when numismatic books are displayed at the same table(s) for use/research/enjoyment of the attendees.

Go figure.....
  • Pyrite said:

Coins at dealer tables which are not for sale for ANY reason should be OUT OF THE DISPLAY CASES !!!

Not every dealer spends the big bucks to have a safe behind their table. Perhaps that's the most secure place he /she can keep the coins secure until they are picked up.
  • Seatedman said:
    In addition, several dealers expressed their concern with urban area's that have high crime rates and restrict personal protection rights.

Bingo !!!   Seated , Baltimore is a really bad city.   I have friends and in laws in the area .  As well as other parts of the state .   My nephew was murdered there in January 2016 
    The list is long but let’s just say it is not safe and Maryland has some of the worst gun laws in the country .   

Major shows imho should be held in Florida , Tampa & Orlando and say Nevada , Las Vegas & Reno.

Seems those places are geared towards conventions and large groups , have less crime , personal protection freedoms and easily accessible from anywhere nationwide . 
  • edited April 2023

Seatedman said:

In addition, several dealers expressed their concern with urban area's that have high crime rates and restrict personal protection rights.

Vince says: Bingo !!!   Seated , Baltimore is a really bad city.   I have friends and in laws in the area .  As well as other parts of the state .   My nephew was murdered there in January 2016 
    The list is long but let’s just say it is not safe and Maryland has some of the worst gun laws in the country .   

Major shows imho should be held in Florida , Tampa & Orlando and say Nevada , Las Vegas & Reno.

Seems those places are geared towards conventions and large groups , have less crime , personal protection freedoms and easily accessible from anywhere nationwide . 

Steve says: Vince - Great reply. Sorry for your loss.

Steve
  • LarryC said:

The biggest problem with major shows (imho) is that dealers get in first and buy all the good stuff before collectors, then mark it up.

How many times do you go to a show and strike out, then keep coming back time after time? Eventually the one or two shows every couple years you land something good just don't justify the costs/expenses of traveling to them.

There was at least one major dealer/buyer at Baltimore, by the way.

The first sentence is spot on!

Not really ....dealers pay to be dealers and get to buy first ( they should) .... if you want to compete ( maybe) buy a early bird pass.
  • Seatedman said:

Vince says: Bingo !!!   Seated , Baltimore is a really bad city.   I have friends and in laws in the area .  As well as other parts of the state .   My nephew was murdered there in January 2016 

Steve says: Vince - Great reply. Sorry for your loss. Steve

Thank you 🙏🏻 

• Why not move the Baltimore show to the DC area - perhaps out by Dulles for convenience? Seems like it would solve a lot of issues. I don’t know what the background or contractual arrangement is that’s keeping it in Baltimore though.
  • Out by Dulles sounds good, but crime in DC itself may not be much better than Baltimore.

Steve
  • Out by Dulles sounds good, but crime in DC itself may not be much better than Baltimore. Steve

The Dulles area is a great area .  Several good locations and all are easy access from anywhere.

The Dulles Expo Center

The Bellevue on route 50 

National conference and expo center off route 7 

Unfortunately as we all know , DC is a poor choice .   But NOVA is a fine choice