GET REAY FOR THE MARKET TO BE AWASH IN NGC COINS! - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

GET REAY FOR THE MARKET TO BE AWASH IN NGC COINS!

Comments

• oreville said:

Legend said:

I'm sorry, I meant NGC cross to PCGS. Not happening much today.

If PCGS not crossing NGC slabs then less work for PCGS so PCGS should be less backed up?
    I don't think anyone said that PCGS was backed up.
  • This is an odd take and an odd discussion. I also don't think this argument holds up. I am a small time collector only. As such, I personally find the overall quality of coins in PCGS slabs to be superior, more accurately graded, and more consistently graded. Again, just my personal opinion. I do notice more NGC slabs in dealer cases. My explanation for this is as follows: PCGS is more highly regarded, thus their slabs are more in demand. This leads to more sales of PCGS slabs, which makes the appearance of available inventory seem lower. I also personally think PCGS grades are a bit more conservative. As such, dealers will gravitate towards sending "iffy" coins to NGC in an attempt to maximize chances of obtaining a straight grade or higher technical grade. After all, a dealer's goal is to maximize profits. Also, an obvious factor is cost of grading. NGC is cheaper. That alone will motivate people to use them, especially for cheaper coins.
  • More coins are being sent to NGC because PCGS is terribly inconsistent with their grading today and they take forever.
  • edited March 2023

oreville said:

Legend said:

I'm sorry, I meant NGC cross to PCGS. Not happening much today.

If PCGS not crossing NGC slabs then less work for PCGS so PCGS should be less backed up?
    I believe Laura meant that those coins are not successfully crossing at PCGS, not that PCGS is not accepting the crossover subs.

Steve
    Nearly the same. Less work for PCGS?

I keep hearing from friends that PCGS submissions has a waiting list of up to 4 months? a 4 month wait time does not make submitters happy?
  • There is a GTG thread running over there on a Morgan. The submitter was expecting at least 63. Majority of guesses were 64.

PCGS graded it 61. This is only a single example but it is typical of today's PCGS.

• WilliamJ said:

I did not renew my pcgs membership.

OMG William, I sure hope you took advantage of PCGS's oh-so generous Quarterly Special before you threw in the towel!

It's not everyday that a company you have been loyal to for many years offers you a chunk of worthless plastic as a bonus!!

• Hard to imagine what type of preparations the TPGs are doing when they don't know what to expect from CAC at this time.
    Possibly screwing the grading down so tight it squeaks in anticipation of tighter grading "standards." :D
  • One other thing... a1st world personal problem, I know, but...the missing "d" in the thread title is driving me crazy. I am close to blowing my face off, while looking in the mirror (in front of my wife so she thinks it was her fault).
  • And here I am thinking that the “y” should be an “L”….
  • Coinstein said:

And here I am thinking that the “y” should be an “L”….

That was good.
  • edited March 2023
    While I have no doubt that PCGS has a grading biorhythm of sorts, and is sometimes a bit looser or tighter, I have noticed over the past few decades that dealers are more likely to complain about tight grading when the market is really good. (Perhaps that’s because dealers try harder to talk themselves into buying coins and taking shots when everything seems to be going right?) And for quite a while now, the market has been really, really good. Bottom line is that I’m skeptical that grading has tightened quite as much as suggested, but I could be wrong.
  • I think grading standards affect the market more than the market affects grading standards.
  • I think grading standards affect the market more than the market affects grading standards.

I think grading "standards" are affected far more by their vagueness and subjectivity, as well as inconsistency in their application, than they are by anything else.
  • MarkFeld said:

I think grading standards affect the market more than the market affects grading standards.

I think grading "standards" are affected far more by their vagueness and subjectivity, as well as inconsistency in their application, than they are by anything else.
    Although I have a sense that at PCGS things have actually consistently "tightened" over the past four to six months or so.
  • PCGS over did it. Yes its great they are tight though.
  • I am guessing the next PCGS Quarterly Special will be RECONSIDERATION.

That way they will break the record for non-participation in the Quarterly Special that was surely set during the present quarter .

"OH BOY! A chunk of plastique! I am so glad I am a member!!"
  • I should have waited on my pcgs membership cancelation.... I  really missed out on that chunk of plastic 😪
  • edited March 2023
    zer0man said:

I place my faith in CAC first and my eyeballs second. The name on the slab is of little importance to me.

I've become a bit wary of that approach after seeing CAC coins with IMO, disappointing surfaces. From my experience, coins with dark, original toning sometimes can hide environmentally damaged surfaces. I would really appreciate it if someone at CAC could explain their determining factors and 'boundary' between original toning and environmental damage.
  • MarkFeld said:

I think grading standards affect the market more than the market affects grading standards.

Although I have a sense that at PCGS things have actually consistently "tightened" over the past four to six months or so.
    Gawrsh....I wonder why? :D