GET REAY FOR THE MARKET TO BE AWASH IN NGC COINS! - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

GET REAY FOR THE MARKET TO BE AWASH IN NGC COINS!

13»

Comments

•  PCGS grading is a joke and has been for quite a while. I have multiple examples of their inconsistency but for the sake of redundancy I will exhibit only one.

Almost a decade ago I submitted a coin for reconsideration that is as clean and beautiful as there is for the series. Don’t take my word for it. The gentleman at the helm here said “If that’s not a plus then what is?” The dealer who sold it to me may very well be the strictest grader on Earth, and even David Hall said “this coin is a monster”. I wasn’t expecting a full point upgrade, just a plus. I considered it a slam dunk. Didn’t get it. Really PCGS?? Over the years they have awarded pluses to 9 of these. If you think one of these nine can stand next to my coin think again! 

PCGS only got one shot. Air ball! Gutter ball, 

CACG will get my entire collection. They already have green beans.
  • You had me until the word "Monster". Overused sales hype.
    Definitely #1 on the list of words that should be banned from the numismatic hobby.
  • Better than Moose! :s
  • This is true, but that word is 2nd on the List.
  •  PCGS grading is a joke and has been for quite a while. I have multiple examples of their inconsistency but for the sake of redundancy I will exhibit only one.

Almost a decade ago I submitted a coin for reconsideration that is as clean and beautiful as there is for the series. Don’t take my word for it. The gentleman at the helm here said “If that’s not a plus then what is?” The dealer who sold it to me may very well be the strictest grader on Earth, and even David Hall said “this coin is a monster”. I wasn’t expecting a full point upgrade, just a plus. I considered it a slam dunk. Didn’t get it. Really PCGS?? Over the years they have awarded pluses to 9 of these. If you think one of these nine can stand next to my coin think again! 

PCGS only got one shot. Air ball! Gutter ball, 

CACG will get my entire collection. They already have green beans.
    I like PCGS OGH with CAC more than the newer PCGS plus with CAC slabs.
  • I like the old holders better as well because a PCGS plus is meaningless to me. I may decide to keep my 23-D in the OGH because it’s the only one left and it’s not a plus candidate IMO but everything else is coming to CACG
  • I think reconsideration was the PCGS QS in Q3 2022 if I’m not mistaken (buy 4x get an extra reconsideration’s free. The irony is strongl. Especially if they charged the guarantee premium.
    This is like double coupon day at shop rite!
  • PCGS grading has been very inconsistent over the last few years. I’ve heard this from friends who happen to be dealers (not dealer friends) and former PCGS graders. They have lots of very new and inexperienced graders who are afraid to upgrade a coin.
  • skier07 said:

PCGS grading has been very inconsistent over the last few years. I’ve heard this from friends who happen to be dealers (not dealer friends) and former PCGS graders. They have lots of very new and inexperienced graders who are afraid to upgrade a coin.

LOL! The last Raw coins I submitted to PCGS I almost went to Home Depot and bought a Bandsaw! They were undergraded a solid 10 points through the entire 50+ coin submission. The only ones that stayed in PCGS Plastic were the coins I used IMHO to humiliate PCGS on ebay. My best listing was a coin PCGS graded VG10. The coin was a shot VF on the right day. I listed it with 2 other PCGS graded F12's and gave the purchaser the choice out of the 3. I priced the listing for strong 15 money. It did make it to the 3rd day and the buyer was worried I didn't have the VG10 any longer! That was around 4 or so years ago.
  • Maybe they're so running scared of CACG that they are going SO conservative that new slabs will be slam dunk golds. :D

Me, I'm tired of all slab permutations, adjustments, guesses, possiblities, hoaxes, and frittering.
    Might have to dig out all my Danscos and pop plastic all this year. >:)
  • Interesting discussion.

My two cents. PCGS coins go for more in auction. If you want your coins graded fast and loose, go NGC. They will sell for a discount at auction but at least you can turn your inventory over. If you are getting some raw coins graded that you want good photos of and will likely sell in auction and want to maximize your auction outcome then you have to go PCGS and wait the several months or whatever it is. I just submitted about 20 coins. When I get the coins/grades/photos back then I can decide what goes to auction at GC and what to keep. If it is worth the sticker service then I can have GC submit for me. My own collection will seemingly go without stickers for what seems like forever.

My third cent... CACG is not even remotely close to being an option. For me, it can't be included in the discussion. I was not an early adopter of the sticker service and never got blessed to submit to the sticker company. When CACG launches, I think it was said that sticker submitters would be able to submit to CACG. When is the earliest that I would be able to apply to the sticker company or be able to submit to CACG? Not even within the realm of discussion. It just does not seem like it will be this year. I am not going to hold my breath. Ooooor, I could submit through someone that is already blessed, shelling out more money on already tight margins. I don't see this as a realistic option either.

If CAC sees this and wants to allow me to apply to submit for stickers, I will. ;)
    I promise to only submit absolutely gorgeous coins so I help make you look good. ;)
    Here are some...only two of which have stickers currently. Another had a gold sticker before it upgraded. Most of the rest have not been in.
    Toned Mercury Dime Showcase
  • Shouldn't all buy the coin and not the holder all the time?
  • Realone said:

Shouldn't all buy the coin and not the holder all the time?

Dang! Why has no one thought of that before now? :D
  • Realone said:

But if you are selling, don't you want to be selling the best holder/sticker combination that tends to bring the most money?
  • keyman64 said:

Realone said:

But if you are selling, don't you want to be selling the best holder/sticker combination that tends to bring the most money?

Agreed.
  • Barberian said:
    I place my faith in CAC first and my eyeballs second. The name on the slab is of little importance to me.
    I've become a bit wary of that approach after seeing CAC coins with IMO, disappointing surfaces. From my experience, coins with dark, original toning sometimes can hide environmentally damaged surfaces. I would really appreciate it if someone at CAC could explain their determining factors and 'boundary' between original toning and environmental damage.
    No doubt dark original toning impairs the luster of a coin, and that can drag the grade lower. But if the dark original toning is attractive to the grader, that can work to pull the grade right back up. It’s a judgment call that has to be made coin by coin, based on how dark the coin is, how attractive it is, and what it is. For example, a dark and perfectly original Bust Dollar might be graded 63, even if it has virtually no luster. But a proof Ike dollar in the same condition would be lucky to get any grade at all.
  • I am still not over my Rattler CAC Gold stickered coin that came back "Cleaned" from PCGS!
  • Wabbit said:
    I am still not over my Rattler CAC Gold stickered coin that came back "Cleaned" from PCGS!
    Wow, that’s unusual. Any pics? 
  • Wabbit said:

I am still not over my Rattler CAC Gold stickered coin that came back "Cleaned" from PCGS!

i don't understand. Did you crack the coin out of its rattler with gold CAC sticker and resubmit it to PCGS raw?