One PCGS Coin That ALWAYS Needs a CAC Bean - Buyers Beware — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

One PCGS Coin That ALWAYS Needs a CAC Bean - Buyers Beware

The 1945 FB dime. Some in FB PCGS slabs are not true Full Bands coins in my (and other dealers') view, hence their invariable lack of a CAC sticker. Are they clerical errors or does PCGS loosen its standards for this strike rarity?

Conversely, some PCGS 1945's without the FB accolade seem to be slam dunks for receiving it. Are they also clerical errors or does PCGS have clandestine criteria?

CAC is as strict as NGC is at designating 1945's as FB. PCGS is definitely less strict in my experience and as evidenced by NGC's much lower FB population in every grade.

Hence, I would never pay a strong price for a PCGS 1945 dime without CAC approval.

Comments

• A famous, reputable dealer lists this ICG MS65 partial bands for $11,000:

• LOL! The only time I have been threatened at a coin show was when I talked a certain person into not certifying one of those FSB!
  • Did I buy a 45-p almost fb from you for $1150 in late 2017 @CACfan?

• Did I buy a 45-p almost fb from you for $1150 in late 2017 @CACfan?

No, we have only sold the real thing, not the almost theres. It either says FB on the holder or it does not.
  • MeantToBeSpent,

Is this the coin? If so, you made a killing from the Heritage auction. Judging by the TrueView, the bands are definitely not split.

• Haha, ok. Even before this thread my first guess as to who you are on ebay, would have been the seller of the 45-p I bought. That person had a lot of focus on classic key dates and some really good stuff for sale.
  • edited March 2023
    No, that's not the coin. I still own mine. My coin is in the Heritage archives from earlier 2017 for about $675 if I remember correctly. I missed the auction. I didn't really like the $1150 price but it was exactly what I was looking for, a super strong ms67 that would fit in with all my other 1934-1945 dates which will all be a strong 67fb or better. I actually have another much weaker for the grade ms67 that also is a super close call on the bands and I only had to pay < $100.
  • edited March 2023
    Back around 2002 I won a PCGS graded MS-65 FB dime at the Heritage Auctions. I submitted it to CAC in 2008 or 2009 upon which JA advised me that the dime “full bands” had been metallically altered to make it appear as a perfect full bands.

He suggested that I send it back to PCGS for a grade review. To PCGS’s credit at the time, they bought the coin from me and paid me exactly what I paid at the Heritage Auction!

JA hax been fantastic and I owe my growth as a more educated buyer of US coins due to his mentoring me.

This example fully supports your contention that you cannot buy a PCGS (or even a NGC) 1945 dime in FB!

I once owned a NGC graded MS-67FB 1945 dime but it was also rejected by CAC since it was not a true 67FB but instead a 66FB,

Whereas NGC is more careful in determining FB it suffers from too liberal grading.

Fortunately, I immediately sold my NGC dime at auction in 2009 at a strong price long before the market started demanding CAC stickering.
  • edited March 2023
    oreville said:

Back around 2002 I won a PCGS graded MS-65 FB dime at the Heritage Auctions. I submitted it to CAC in 2008 or 2009 upon which JA advised me that the dime “full bands” had been metallically altered to make it appear as a perfect full bands.

He suggested that I send it back to PCGS for a grade review. To PCGS’s credit at the time, they bought the coin from me and paid me exactly what I paid at the Heritage Auction!

JA hax been fantastic and I owe my growth as a more educated buyer of US coins due to his mentoring me.

This example fully supports your contention that you cannot buy a PCGS (or even a NGC) 1945 dime in FB!

I once owned a NGC graded MS-67FB 1945 dime but it was also rejected by CAC since it was not a true 67FB but instead a 66FB,

Whereas NGC is more careful in determining FB it suffers from too liberal grading.

Fortunately, I immediately sold my NGC dime at auction in 2009 at a strong price long before the market started demanding CAC stickering.

Occasionally, NGC can be a tad more liberal at grading FB 1945's but 80% to 90% of the time their grading is the same as PCGS's. You only see the lesser coins in NGC slabs because anything nice usually gets crossed over.