What I Like and Dislike the Most About CAC — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

What I Like and Dislike the Most About CAC

After buying and selling CAC coins since their 2007 inception, here are my main verdicts:

PLUSES: salability, prestige, de facto grading guarantee, personal reputations of JA and his posse, excitement added to the hobby, and education about grading given to consumers (which I think was CAC's initial mission).

MINUSES: all non-CACable coins are thrown under the bus and the expected excessive premiums added for some beaned coins.

Comments

• Agree with your pluses. Partially agree with your minuses. There definitely are collectors who won’t buy non CAC coins or if they do only with a discount compared to the CAC counterpart. I have no idea what percentage of collectors are like this. And there are definitely collectors who really don’t care if a coin has a sticker as long as they like it. The CAC and PCGS forums are skewed and they only represent a very small percentage of collectors so it’s basically impossible to draw any conclusions.
  • Good points but I was judging values of non-CAC's and premiums for CAC's (and thus demand for both) by auction prices. But I really have no science to back it up. My memory is not science, LOL.
  • Gee, whatever happened to capitalism, anyway?
  • CACfan said:

MINUSES: all non-CACable coins are thrown under the bus and the expected excessive premiums added for some beaned coins.

----------

So my question is, how will CAC-Grading impact this effect? It seems like it may create a three tier market:

CAC-stickered and CAC-Grading Legacy coins on top
    CAC-Grading non-Legacy coins in the middle
    Non-stickered PCGS and NGC coins on the bottom

Or even more tiers if you put PCGS above NGC as many people do. It could make for a very complex, but very interesting market.

• edited April 2023

CACfan said:

----------

So my question is, how will CAC-Grading impact this effect? It seems like it may create a three tier market:

CAC-stickered and CAC-Grading Legacy coins on top
    CAC-Grading non-Legacy coins in the middle
    Non-stickered PCGS and NGC coins on the bottom

Or even more tiers if you put PCGS above NGC as many people do. It could make for a very complex, but very interesting market.

I cannot disagree, but we’ll see over time how things pan out between those top two tiers.

Will owners of coins in that bottom set refer to your categorization as tiers or “tears”, lol.

Steve
  • I am totally PRO PCGS CAC. I will admit, when there are few CAC coins around, the nice NON CA coins premiums do rise. Some collectors do not feel the wait is really worth it. Most of them I find a newer collectors.
  • Agree with Laura, totally pro PCGS/CAC. However, as a long time collector of the Seated series-even before TPGs, there are plenty of great coins that are not stickered for whatever trivial reason. And thankfully, there are plenty of collectors who aren't addicted to the sticker, so these coins easily trade. To me the sticker is kinda like a fine wine...I like what I like and sometimes I don't need the extra reassurance (of a sommelier, rating, etc.), nor do I always agree...
  • PCGS & CAC coins over CACG coins ?   No question at all …..   CACG all the way .

I trust CACG and will let them handle my collection.   PCGS involvement unneeded and unwanted .   I don’t believe having the 2 “opinions” on a coin offers any value .  We already have that.  The reason CAC became so successful is because collectors questioned the gradings accuracy and values the professional opinion of JA and his team .   I know a lot of guys that won’t buy non cac gold , shows how little they trust others .  
  • I think that market will value PCGS/CAC coins more than CACG coins. Here's why:

1) If neither coins are +, the market can value a PCGS/CAC coin more than a CACG coin of the same grade but not vice versa because PCGS/CAC is guaranteed to cross to CACG at the same grade or even get a +.

2) Multiple opinions matter. We know this because the market currently value PCGS/CAC coins more than NGC/CAC coins. If all that mattered is CAC's opinion, then those 2 coins will be the same value.

• I respectfully disagree.   Once CACG takes root I believe PCGS CAC coins will have one value and CACG a higher value.   After enough time I think high end coins not crossed over will have collectors wondering if it couldn’t pass CAC approval .    ( the Uber high end and special rarities are immune from any of this imho ) 

Opinions matter ?   I agree .   But think about this .  IE: a 1920 Saint ms 64 , let’s say it goes for $6,000 .   With a PQ sticker ( a 2nd opinion ) it goes for $5,500 🤣😂  😆🙄

Now take same coin with 64 CAC approval shoots up to $9 to $11,000

Why ?  Both are 2nd opinions .   It’s because collectors value the opinion so much they’ll pay 2 to 3 x a coins value for it.    Think about that !!!    CACG will be the trusted name and opinion in coins moving forward . 

Besides grading ability  I simply believe the community trusts John and his staffs integrity.  

Not feelings most collectors have for the others .  Plenty of less than happy collectors out there who had little choice in the past . 

Until now that is !! 
  • I said this in another thread: the public trusts JA. They do not know the new graders. The old bean will be strong for a while. It will take time for the new service to gain its footing.

I dislike the fact they aren't within a 40 min drive from me now.....I have to rely on the mail system or fed x now....
  • Of course the competency, accuracy, and grading standards of the 2nd opinion matters. Hence why PCGS/CAC coins are valued higher than NGC/CAC coins if you consider PCGS and NGC as the 2nd opinion in this case.

The issue here is that PCGS and CAC have different grading standards. It's not just that CAC is slightly stricter. It's that the standards are actually different in ways that are not clear cut. Some coins are graded higher by CAC than PCGS. I know because I have some coins like this 1909 $10 proof coin that is graded PR 66+ by PCGS and given a gold CAC sticker. This means CAC thinks it's at least 1 grade higher if not more. But I have sent the coin to PCGS to regrade and they think 66+ is the correct grade. They don't see it as a 67. If I cross it to CACG, it will definitely cross at 67 and might even get a 68! If I did cross this coins to CACG 67, it will be a coin that CAC thinks is 67 but PCGS does not. Now compare this coin to a coin that is PCGS/CAC 67. Which coin do you think the market will value more sight unseen? A coin that both grading service says is 67 or a coin that only one grading service says is 67?
  • Of course the competency, accuracy, and grading standards of the 2nd opinion matters. Hence why PCGS/CAC coins are valued higher than NGC/CAC coins if you consider PCGS and NGC as the 2nd opinion in this case. The issue here is that PCGS and CAC have different grading standards. It's not just that CAC is slightly stricter. It's that the standards are actually different in ways that are not clear cut. Some coins are graded higher by CAC than PCGS. I know because I have some coins like this 1909 $10 proof coin that is graded PR 66+ by PCGS and given a gold CAC sticker. This means CAC thinks it's at least 1 grade higher if not more. But I have sent the coin to PCGS to regrade and they think 66+ is the correct grade. They don't see it as a 67. If I cross it to CACG, it will definitely cross at 67 and might even get a 68! If I did cross this coins to CACG 67, it will be a coin that CAC thinks is 67 but PCGS does not. Now compare this coin to a coin that is PCGS/CAC 67. Which coin do you think the market will value more sight unseen? A coin that both grading service says is 67 or a coin that only one grading service says is 67?

The CACG 67 hands down .   The only opinion that matters to many .   If they trusted PCGS to a fairly high level they wouldn’t be paying 2 and 3 times for the coin cac approves .

Legend , part of trusting JA is trusting his leadership skills , ability to build a strong team and oversee their training , standards set and ability of the team to maintain quality .   Unless such a time comes that quality is slipping there is little reason to be overly concerned .   
  • If only the CAC opinion matters, then why are people paying more for PCGS/CAC over NGC/CAC? Don't forget a PCGS 67 CAC also has the CAC opinion. So both grading service grades it a 67 versus a CACG 67 only has 1 grading service.

Anyways, I don't think I'm able to change your opinion. Let's see what happens after CACG launches. It's going to happen soon.
  • PCGS OGH CAC (assuming the coin is nice and PQ) will always have a higher demand than CACG for several reasons:
    1. A more conservative grading standard by PCGS back then by some of the top shelf original graders.
    2. Coin stability given how long the coin has been in the OGH holder.
    3. Two party opinion versus only one.
    4. The allure that the coin could possibly upgrade to a “plus” or the next grade higher.
    5. Less worry about the coin being gradeflated or doctored up.

CACG will certainly have its place as one thing it will do is restore many over-graded coins back to the proper grade. Perhaps the CACG coins will carry a slight premium over their modern holdered PCGS CAC counterparts.
  • LarryC said:
    PCGS OGH CAC (assuming the coin is nice and PQ) will always have a higher demand than CACG for several reasons:
    1. A more conservative grading standard by PCGS back then by some of the top shelf original graders.
    4. The allure that the coin could possibly upgrade to a “plus” or the next grade higher.

CACG will certainly have its place as one thing it will do is restore many over-graded coins back to the proper grade. Perhaps the CACG coins will carry a slight premium over their modern holdered PCGS CAC counterparts.
    Well said I agree 100% with your analysis. But I would include old blue holder coins as well as they seem to be conservatively graded and stable 2002-2010.
  • Stevie said:
    LarryC said:
    PCGS OGH CAC (assuming the coin is nice and PQ) will always have a higher demand than CACG for several reasons:

Well said I agree 100% with your analysis. But I would include old blue holder coins as well as they seem to be conservatively graded and stable 2002-2010.
    Agreed…along with NGC fatty. 
  • Elite Collection said:

"Some coins are graded higher by CAC than PCGS. I know because I have some coins like this 1909 $10 proof coin that is graded PR 66+ by PCGS and given a gold CAC sticker. This means CAC thinks it's at least 1 grade higher if not more. But I have sent the coin to PCGS to regrade and they think 66+ is the correct grade. They don't see it as a 67".

I have encountered a similar experience. Dropped off my 67 (originally graded in 2001) at the show for PCGS reconsideration, just hoping for a plus (they don't do 68's in this series). It blows away the few 67+ coins I have seen, and is even superior to the lone 68. They said NO, so it remains in the old blue holder.

I agree some coins are graded higher by CAC than PCGS, but for every one that is, there are 10 times as many graded higher by PCGS than CAC. There isn't much debate that CAC has tougher grading standards and is more consistent than PCGS.

• edited April 2023
    If a coin clears CAC standards, it shouldn't matter which TPG grades the coin. You're using CAC grading standards as the ultimate "hurdle" to determine its quality, not PCGS or NGC standards.

If NGC CAC coins sell for less on the market, well, a nice strategy presents itself for acquiring quality CAC coins for less money.
  • Barberian said:

If a coin clears CAC standards, it shouldn't matter which TPG grades the coin. You're using CAC grading standards as the ultimate "hurdle" to determine its quality, not PCGS or NGC standards.

If NGC CAC coins sell for less on the market, well, a nice strategy presents itself for acquiring quality CAC coins for less money.

I concur. Not purchasing TPG coins that have passed approval of CAC, is not logical. To reject an opportunity simply because it is NGC TPG'd, is a rejection of confidence in the CAC business model and trust in their ability and protection of the collector. Isn't that the point of the CAC business model?

I have read many comments via Ms. Sperber (No, I am not signaling Ms. Sperber out...it is just that she is repetitive in her enthusiasm for one over the other) and her preference for PCGS/CAC over NGC/CAC, and the same type of commentary from others.

It is a conundrum, to me, and I can not think of a logic posit that supports the choice of inequality.

It is equal to a hypothetical without the hypo.