No love for the tab toned commem - ouch ! — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

No love for the tab toned commem - ouch !

I submitted both of these tab toned comemms to CAC as PCGS 66 and 65 respectively!  I wasn’t totally surprised the Robinson didn’t sticker. The Long Island has incredible eye appeal, color and originality, so I was surprised. 

I sent both coins to NGC cross any grade. I actually prefer NGC to pcgs and I get another shot at a sticker. To my surprise, both coins came back one less grade (65 and 64). Ok, so cAc got it right I said, both coins downgraded ! 

I send them back to CAC in their new NGC holders, one less grade each from their prior pcgs holders . Both denied a sticker again! Ouch 

Commems are all I collect. I know commems and I know how to grade them. Flashy tab toned commems with color and luster should sticker. They should be given the benefit of the doubt when borderline . No way these coins shouldn’t sticker in the pcgs or NGC holders. 

I’m not saying every tab toned coin should automatically sticker. Understanding the series, understanding what makes a comemm most desired , understanding originality and history of the coin. That should be a factor in my opinion on the sticker. 

Both of these coins will stay in my collection, both wonderful for their grade …and I would argue better for the grade than most a grade or two higher. 

I own probably 15 or 16 tab toned comemms, half of which do not have stickers. That’s just wrong in my opinion. Curios if there are other comemm collectors on this forum with similar or different experiences?? 

Comments

• I seriously doubt that CAC has an issue with tab-toning on commemoratives. So my belief is that the coins failed to sticker for other reasons.
  • @MarkFeld I read these forums, luster and strike luster and strike. I hear the interviews. I think they do have an issue with tab toning or don’t understand its importance in the series. 

Just these 2 examples failed at 66,65 and then again at 65,64. That’s just wrong. 
  • @MarkFeld I read these forums, luster and strike luster and strike. I hear the interviews. I think they do have an issue with tab toning or don’t understand its importance in the series. 

Just these 2 examples failed at 66,65 and then again at 65,64. That’s just wrong. 
    Strike isn’t weighted nearly as heavily as you appear to think it is. And regardless of how important you believe tab-toning might be to the series, its value to a coin’s grade will be in terms of eye-appeal, not just its mere presence.

Instead of assuming that CAC has a bias against tab-toning I’d suggest looking for shortcomings in the coins. If you have the opportunity, show them to a highly knowledgeable numismatist.

I say this as a former NGC grader who worked for John.
    I’m also a big fan of attractive tab-toning and as a dealer, helped a couple of collectors put together two of the all-time finest silver commemorative sets. I’m not bragging, but rather, trying to provide you with some perspective to my views on this subject.

Beyond that, your posted images aren’t clear enough to try to assess the quality of the coins. And even if they were, you didn’t include reverse shots.
  • Thank you, Dan.

Based on those images, I probably would have guessed 65 (or higher) on the Long Island. Perhaps it has marks which are masked by the toning and don’t show in the pictures.

I’d grade the Robinson MS 64, at best. I can easily understand the lack of a sticker on it, due to conspicuous marks on the obverse portrait.

I would bet that the toning didn’t penalize either coin in any way.
  • If I collected these, which I have in the past, I would pay a premium for tab-toned coins simply because of the unquestioned originality. Something of a provenance. Guess that doesn't translate to a numeric grade (not that it should), but it wouldn't matter to me. Love the look.
  • oldabe said:

If I collected these, which I have in the past, I would pay a premium for tab-toned coins simply because of the unquestioned originality. Something of a provenance. Guess that doesn't translate to a numeric grade (not that it should), but it wouldn't matter to me. Love the look.

Tab toning can be reproduced, unfortunately, but I understand your logic.
  • OP - have you ever reached out to JA for his comments on your submission? Every submission I make, I ask for commentary (requested as part of the submission form) to be provided if a coin is rejected and I've always received information. At least then I learn and improve my knowledge base.
  • @DeplorableDan I have never said ‘bias’ , I said an understanding of what tab toning is and the importance to the series. Those were my exact words 

That Long Island is better than most 67’s I’ve seen. Look at that color, luster and eye appeal. There is very little chatter to speak. That coin should have a cAc sticker at 65 and 66. I would even argue the coin is better than most 67’s I’ve seen. To not sticker that coin, tell me the person who made that decision doesn’t understand the series. 

The Robinson has a few hits to make it 64, that I agree. However, if you put a dozen 64 coins side by side with mine, mine will be better than almost every one of them. 

I have 6 or 7 other tab toned examples, all rejected. I put these two in this forum as both coins were rejected at their current grade and also one grade above their grade. 

Tab toned comemms should sticker as a norm and it’s actually the exact opposite, it’s the exception. 
  • TABFIGHT!!!
  • CAC stickers many tab toned commems. Not an exception in any way.
  • oldabe said:

If I collected these, which I have in the past, I would pay a premium for tab-toned coins simply because of the unquestioned originality. Something of a provenance. Guess that doesn't translate to a numeric grade (not that it should), but it wouldn't matter to me. Love the look.

That occurred to me, but wouldn't the graders be able to detect and treat as artificially toned? Or perhaps too tough to detect?
  • Original tab toning is very easy to identify 
  • oldabe said:

oldabe said:

That occurred to me, but wouldn't the graders be able to detect and treat as artificially toned? Or perhaps too tough to detect?
    I think it depends on the skill of the person doing it. A dedicated person could do an indiscernible job if they had the patience but I don’t think the money is good enough for them to wait long enough in most cases. And that is a good thing!
  • Knowing JA, and feedback I’ve received on prior submissions, I’m guessing on why the Robinson didn’t sticker is due to the scuffs on the head near the hairline, eye and two on upper cheek.
  • LarryC said:
    Knowing JA, and feedback I’ve received on prior submissions, I’m guessing on why the Robinson didn’t sticker is due to the scuffs on the head near the hairline, eye and two on upper cheek.
    Yep I agree on the Robinson. The other needs to be in hand with its toning. But the toning didn't decline it alone. Unless he felt there was something fishy with it. 
  • I have a sense, @Commemgems , that you may be allowing the tab toning and “originality” to blind you into thinking that a CAC is automatic. My 50 coin Silver Commem Type Set is 100% CAC, even though the vast majority of them have been dipped at some point (but apparently gently enough to still merit the CAC).

Here are my two. The Robinson is 66+ with CAC.

Steve

• I think LarryC nailed it. Tab toning not a free pass to Beantown when the surfaces have disturbances on the portrait.

• @DeplorableDan I have never said ‘bias’ , I said an understanding of what tab toning is and the importance to the series. Those were my exact words 

That Long Island is better than most 67’s I’ve seen. Look at that color, luster and eye appeal. There is very little chatter to speak. That coin should have a cAc sticker at 65 and 66. I would even argue the coin is better than most 67’s I’ve seen. To not sticker that coin, tell me the person who made that decision doesn’t understand the series. 

The Robinson has a few hits to make it 64, that I agree. However, if you put a dozen 64 coins side by side with mine, mine will be better than almost every one of them. 

I have 6 or 7 other tab toned examples, all rejected. I put these two in this forum as both coins were rejected at their current grade and also one grade above their grade. 

Tab toned comemms should sticker as a norm and it’s actually the exact opposite, it’s the exception. 
    Perhaps you should examine the ship sails on that Long Island a little more closely.