Does planchet damage disqualify a coin from a sticker? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Does planchet damage disqualify a coin from a sticker?

Has anyone ever received a sticker on a coin with even minor planchet damage?

Comments

• If you consider a coin that was struck through wire or a metal fragment planchet damage then yes I've seen several. Often they are referred to as error coins. Please post a picture if possible.
  • edited December 2021
    I was wondering that myself regarding a recent pickup. Not having a numeric grade though might be an obstacle.  ;)

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[2/5/2/4/2/25242069],sizedata[850x600]&call=url[file:product.chain]

• Seatedman 

I sent in a group of lower graded bust halves and 4/7 of got stickers and I was trying to figure out why the other three did not. This 1825 looks original to me but I notice it has a small planchet chip on the reverse rim so I thought maybe that disqualified it?

• Whether it straight grades or even goes so far as getting a CAC sticker depends upon: 1 rarity of coin; 2. frequency of planchet NATURAL AS MADE defect on 
    coin’s series ( ie early copper) 3. placement of flaw 4. severity of flaw
    4. condition of coin itself aside from flaw
    For instance, there is a fairly hi grade 1792 half disme coming up at auction w. 
    severe obv flan laminations which is straight graded - it should not have been straight graded
  • Is it fair to have 2 fours?