should stickered coin which upgrades at CACG receive legacy "L"? - Page 4 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

should stickered coin which upgrades at CACG receive legacy "L"?

Comments

• Or..."So let it be written; so let it be done."

Pharaoh shall decide and the market shall judge.
    :)
  • Ramses II. Myth.

The hieroglyphics should have translated as:

"Let "L" be stricken from every Statue, Obelisk and Record".
  • How about Legacy Plus as a designation. L+ to show coins previously in a PCGS or NGC holder that had a Plus designation that are now in a CACG Plus+ holder 
  • edited May 2023
    Stevie said:

How about Legacy Plus as a designation. L+ to show coins previously in a PCGS or NGC holder that had a Plus designation that are now in a CACG Plus+ holder 

That would dilute the significance of the CACG brand. If CACG is truly the best, a coin’s previous grading history shouldn’t really matter. Do you (and others who would advocate this or something similar) believe in CACG or not?
  • MarkFeld said:

Stevie said:

How about Legacy Plus as a designation. L+ to show coins previously in a PCGS or NGC holder that had a Plus designation that are now in a CACG Plus+ holder 

That would dilute the significance of the CACG brand. If CACG is truly the best, a coin’s previous grading history shouldn’t really matter. Do you (and others who would advocate this or something similar) believe in CACG or not?
    Agreed, put your faith in CACG and move forward. If you do not want to loose your old holder, that is fine. If you think you deserve a plus on your potential A coin then send it in. Pretty simple really….
  • MarkFeld said:
    Some people think a coins previous grading history and double certification is extremely important. I just am an observer without a strong opinion either way. But if CACG is going to use the L for its history then it might as well use L plus to be consistent for previous PCGS plus coins 
  • I think people are still confused as to the main reason for the L designation. The purpose is to designate that the coin previously had a CAC sticker. CAC stickers do not care about pluses. Hence, there's no reason at all for CACG to have an L+. Same reason why they don't do LP and LN to differentiate between PCGS and NGC coins.
  • edited May 2023
    I think people are still confused as to the main reason for the L designation. The purpose is to designate that the coin previously had a CAC sticker. CAC stickers do not care about pluses. Hence, there's no reason at all for CACG to have an L+. Same
    reason why they don't do LP and LN to differentiate between PCGS and NGC coins.
    You are missing my point Mr. Elite. I am not saying CACG is endorsing the PCGS plus. I am saying that CACG could state L+ as they are not saying they agree with the plus just the numerical whole grade. But this way a person buying CACG plus +  would have a second opinion of a L+ NGC or PCGS + a powerful combination worthy of a premium.
  • Again, CAC is adding an L designation NOT because it wants to acknowledge the other TPG. It's acknowledging that CAC itself has previously stickered the coin. The fact that L also means there's a 2nd agreeing opinion is a unintended benefit. It's a small but important detail. Given that the benefit is unintended, it makes zero sense to add a +. L stands for Legacy, which means it's a legacy stickered coin.
  • Adding an L+ makes it seem like the other TPG's plus is more important than CACG's plus or lack of plus. I don't see why CACG would do something like that. It makes no sense from their point of view.
  • edited May 2023
    Adding an L+ makes it seem like the other TPG's plus is more important than CACG's plus or lack of plus. I don't see why CACG would do something like that. It makes no sense from their point of view.
    It’s the collectors that asked for the L not CACG, otherwise the collectors would be reluctant to cross their PCGS NGC CAC coins to CACG. So to take it to the next logical stage wouldn’t the collectors want to know if the previous grade was a Plus? It would be nice to know that both PCGS and CACG agree on the Plus
  • edited May 2023
    The collector would also want to know whether the previous TPG was PCGS or NGC. How about whether it was an NGC star? How about whether it was in an old green holder. So should CACG add LPO+ and LN+* now to the CACG labels?

CACG is adding the L designation NOT because some collectors want to know that the coin was previously graded by PCGS or NGC. They are ONLY adding it to show that it was previously graded by CAC irrespective of the TPG. If CAC was previously stickering ICG, ANACS, or even PCI holders, they will still use the L designation to show that CAC previously graded it the same grade. That's the whole point and nothing more. I'm repeating myself.

Last point. Ask yourself why CACG is not putting in something to show that the coin was crossed over from PCGS/NGC holder without CAC stickers. They are only doing it on a coin that was previously stickered. The point of the L was never about the TPG and only about the CAC sticker.
  • edited May 2023
    MarkFeld said:

Stevie said:

Along this point, it's cleaner to not have an "L" at all. The past shouldn't matter, just CACG.
  • Agree with you EliteCollection. The L designation is all that is needed for CACG graded coins that previously had a CAC sticker.
  • edited May 2023
    I agree the L designation is all that is needed for CACG graded coins that previously had a CAC sticker.

The key word in MarkFeld's post is "shouldn't" matter. As @ Stevie said "Some people think a coins previous grading history and double certification is extremely important."

Personally a coin’s previous grading history doesn't matter because for the two series I specialize in CAC has the highest and most consistent standards.

Regarding @ Stevie suggestion "So to take it to the next logical stage wouldn’t the collectors want to know if the previous grade was a Plus?

Perhaps, but @ EliteCollection points out an important concern. If CACG adds an L+ where do they draw the line regarding previous grading history. Sometimes it's best to keep it simple.

• I vote ditch the "L" :*
  • Someday in the future, I want to hear a local coin shop explaining to a customer what all the labels mean. :D
  • I believe the idea behind the "L" is to be an insurance policy of a sort for a previously stickered coin in the unlikely event that CACG is eventually perceived to be of lower quality/value. I do not think this is a likely outcome, but as a collector of primarily stickered coins I find the built in 'insurance' of the "L" to be comforting as I am considering crossing some stickered coins to CACG when they are up and running.
    I believe that adding +'s or further designators to the "L" would result in needless confusion.
  • If there were a way to accumulate labels from cracked slabs, perhaps a new version of STAMP COLLECTING could take hold.
    Huh? HUH? HUH??? >:)
  • edited May 2023
    Tend to Agree with you elite.  The other thing if looking at CACG holder and it has L was the coin re evaluated (possible grade depletion from environment)  when CACGed now?  Imo a grade on holder a POINT in time!  If coin has haze was that there then when originally stickered? From buyer view, serious investor I want the grade on CACG holder reflect it’s condition NOW.  Perhaps that so - set me straight.  If the doc runs new blood work on me that’s for now not some past reading  / event.  I really don’t care who’s holder it was in (past) before just that the grade reflects now not past evaluation.  I have couple boxes of beautiful CAC coins - want fill up a box or more of CACG.