What's the least expensive CAC coin you own? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

What's the least expensive CAC coin you own?

While CAC wasn't really meant for super inexpensive coins, there are quite a few out there. Please share your least expensive CAC coin, whether it was purchased with the sticker or sent in. If you want, let us know what the reasoning for sending it in was (aiming for the gold sticker or something else?). 

Comments

• Sent this in because I thought the splotchy toning was unusual.

It's a real high beam in hand, semi-prooflike and the reverse is stunning.

• edited December 2021
    I’ll play- 68CAM CAC
    Price guide $160
    Who can beat that?

• Probably this one:

• edited December 2021
    CAC has beaned 2 1909 barber quarters in VF25 (none lower) and lists value at $37.  71 total have been beaned the rest in higher grades.  Here is the least finest beaned 1909 BQ.
    I bought it from Tom Bush w/o the bean.  Here was his description:
    It is my distinct privilege to have a small group of original, mid-grade, problem free Barber quarters at this time.  All these coins were in the collection of a very particular collector who sold off his P, D and O-mint coins to concentrate on the S-mints.  These are all newly certified in new PCGS holders and I was able to go through a fairly large number of coins to choose those that I thought represented the best value.  The 1909 Philadelphia issue gets lost in the sea of Barber coins, but like so many mid-date pieces it is actually tougher to find nice than what might be thought.  This coin is medium grey, has dirt everywhere one would expect, has an obverse and reverse that match beautifully and is an old-time VF.
    Best, HT

• Thought this one deserved a shot at a sticker, paid $120 for it plus CAC.
    F12 O-105

• u1chicago said:
    While CAC wasn't really meant for super inexpensive coins, there are quite a few out there. Please share your least expensive CAC coin, whether it was purchased with the sticker or sent in. If you want, let us know what the reasoning for sending it in was (aiming for the gold sticker or something else?). 

So the concept that 'CAC wasn't really meant for super inexpensive coins'.  Says who?  I don't see that on the CAC submission requirements page.  There are 2 reasons for submission.  First is to max out value of any coin, makes sense for anyone who is selling. The second is to provide the submitter information on what a quality coin is for the grade regardless of value. Sure I have submitted coins with values into the 5 figures, but I am just as happy to submit coins in the 2 figures like the one above and find out if my eye is good enough to discern what an A or B coin is to CAC. Learning, education, that is also why CAC provides the service otherwise they would put a value limit on submissions.  So this idea that only 'expensive' coins should be submitted? I say hogwash.  I want to learn and I am happy to collect quality US coins at extremely low price points as well as those in my collection that cost way more..... So that is my reasoning for having 12 Barber Quarters with value <$100 that I sent in and got the bean on.  And another 3 within that price range that did not get the bean which gave me great learning without spending too much on the coins.......  And with each failure, I learn what is a quality Barber Quarter, and I have done that in a range of price points from VF20 to MS62..........

Best, HT
  • edited December 2021
    OK, I think mine is a winner. 

I’m putting together a Lincoln Wheat DATE set. Doing the DATE set (one coin per year) keeps the cost down, but to make it challenging, I require every coin to be RED, and every coin MUST also have a CAC.

I’m near the end (I still have four holes) so I recently bought two very inexpensive coins as fillers, that WILL be upgraded when I come across nice eye appealing 67RD’s with CAC’s for those two dates. Once the four holes are filled, my set will probably rank #7.

The two fillers are 1954-D and 1958-D, each graded MS66RD, and each had a CAC. The PCGS Price Guide shows pricing at $32 for the first one, and only $22 for the second one. The CAC Price Report has the first at $54, and only $20 for the second. Yes, I paid a bit more ($67 for the 1958-D with the BP, as the CAC Pop is only 4), but these are CHEAP!

Here’s the 1958-D:

• edited December 2021
    @HardTimes

$37- good one!
    That should be hard to beat since the coin is barely worth more than the bean fee!

uh oh- here comes @Winesteven in with a $20
  • HardTimes said:
    u1chicago said:

So the concept that 'CAC wasn't really meant for super inexpensive coins'.  Says who?  I don't see that on the CAC submission requirements page.  There are 2 reasons for submission.  First is to max out value of any coin, makes sense for anyone who is selling. The second is to provide the submitter information on what a quality coin is for the grade regardless of value. Sure I have submitted coins with values into the 5 figures, but I am just as happy to submit coins in the 2 figures like the one above and find out if my eye is good enough to discern what an A or B coin is to CAC. Learning, education, that is also why CAC provides the service otherwise they would put a value limit on submissions.  So this idea that only 'expensive' coins should be submitted? I say hogwash.  I want to learn and I am happy to collect quality US coins at extremely low price points as well as those in my collection that cost way more..... So that is my reasoning for having 12 Barber Quarters with value <$100 that I sent in and got the bean on.  And another 3 within that price range that did not get the bean which gave me great learning without spending too much on the coins.......  And with each failure, I learn what is a quality Barber Quarter, and I have done that in a range of price points from VF20 to MS62..........

Best, HT
    It's not on any requirements page but it has been the prevailing thought since the beginning. I'd bet most people would tell you the same. The point of CAC wasn't to go over the MS 63 1881-S Morgans or the sub-$100 coins. Even if the TPGs get those wrong, it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of grading. Get a $5k coin wrong, and that's a bigger deal; get a $500k coin wrong and that could be a nightmare. 

There is nothing wrong with sending the inexpensive coins in and I think it's nice that CAC looks at everything (without a lower limit). You can learn a lot from any coin that is subbed and we all have plenty of great inexpensive coins. 
  • @Winesteven that may indeed be one of the winners! 
  • I think I have this one in the bag.  The sticker cost was 80% of the coin value:

• Mercury 1945-D MS64, CAC Price Report = $21.
    Lincoln 1958-D MS66RD, CAC Price Report = $20.
  • edited December 2021
    Ah, back to the drawing board!

Edit to add - I concede the contest to @Winesteven.  He's is officially the biggest loser.  :)

Tim
  • @pointfivezero you offered a valiant challenge!
  • Thanks @u1chicago.

I'd like to double down and challenge everyone to a new contest:

Who has the least expensive set of five CAC certified coins?
  • edited December 2021
    First, my sincere apologies to @pointfivezero, as I now see that for my 1958-D Lincoln I accidentally used the CAC Price Report figure for the MS66RB ($20) instead of the correct pricing for the MS66RD, which is a whopping $34. So congratulations to @pointfivezero for being the true “winner” of the original contest!
    For the proposed five coin challenge, I’ll bite, but admittedly, I don’t have confidence of winning this challenge. I’ll also try to use the correct values, lol.
    I’ll stick with my Lincoln Wheat DATE set, described above. But as noted, since I decided that each of the coins in this set MUST be Red (and with a CAC), and once I fill the remaining four holes I believe this set will rank #7, I think the following five coins I own overall are remarkably inexpensive for a set of the quality I described:

1. 1936 Lincoln MS67RD, CAC Price Report = $224.
    2. 1952-S MS67RD = $187.
    3. 1953-S MS66RD = $44.
    4. 1954-D MS66RD = $54.
    5. My “infamous” 1958-D MS66RD = $34.

Overall CAC Price Report = $543.

• Good question, I bought someone’s gold bean reject for cheap sub 100$

• I have a bunch of Lincolns <$50 as well. In my defense, they were beaned long ago when it was only $10 per sticker.. B)  
  • Even at 15 or 16 bucks a pop a Cac Sticker can be nice compliment to your NGC-PCGS slabbed coins. It definitely adds value to your investment. If you receive a Gold Pass on a relatively inexpensive coin, it will certainly make that investment more valuable. I study both coins that pass & fail, you can learn a lot about grading just by doing this. I have looked at coins I can't believe failed Cac. But when you really study them, most times one tends to come to the same conclusion as Cac. There are always exceptions.
  • I’ll play- 68CAM CAC
    Price guide $160
    Who can beat that?