What's the least expensive CAC coin you own? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

What's the least expensive CAC coin you own?

Comments

• I collect Proof Franklins and this one is a Solid Gem! Nice Job.
  • First, my sincere apologies to @pointfivezero, as I now see that for my 1958-D Lincoln I accidentally used the CAC Price Report figure for the MS66RB ($20) instead of the correct pricing for the MS66RD, which is a whopping $34. So congratulations to @pointfivezero for being the true “winner” of the original contest!
    For the proposed five coin challenge, I’ll bite, but admittedly, I don’t have confidence of winning this challenge. I’ll also try to use the correct values, lol.
    I’ll stick with my Lincoln Wheat DATE set, described above. But as noted, since I decided that each of the coins in this set MUST be Red (and with a CAC), and once I fill the remaining four holes I believe this set will rank #7, I think the following five coins I own overall are remarkably inexpensive for a set of the quality I described:

1. 1936 Lincoln MS67RD, CAC Price Report = $224.
    2. 1952-S MS67RD = $187.
    3. 1953-S MS66RD = $44.
    4. 1954-D MS66RD = $54.
    5. My “infamous” 1958-D MS66RD = $34.

Overall CAC Price Report = $543.

Thank you!  I humbly accept the dubious and thorny crown.  To further cement myself in the annals of CAC history, I present to you what is without a doubt the five lowest valued coins in any single collection anywhere.  I believe I deserve some kind of special award such as a bronze soybean, don't you @CAC_Team and @JACAC

'57 Franklin - $31
    '63 Franklin - $31
    '39 Merc      - $30
    '42S Merc    - $41
    '45D Merc   - $21

Sad Total     - $154

• edited December 2021
    Congrats @pointfivezero. We can cut off all future entries, as you clearly will take the prize for the cheapest five CAC coins in a single collection!

Some years ago someone had the idea for lowball Registry sets. You may be starting a new fad - who can complete a particular full Registry set, 100% CAC, for the lowest total CAC Price Report value!!!!!!!!!!!  (Don't fear, I won't be a competitor, lol)
  • In regards to the second question in the @u1chicago OP, why on Earth did I submit these?  I collect old holders.  The Franklin's are PCGS 2.1 and 2.2 holders and two of the NGC's are 3.0's (gold embossed logo on the reverse).  I believe the '45-D Merc was just a "throw in".

• Love em, Keep it up! I have a few green & gold Merc fatties myself.
  • Great collection of many old obsolete grading companies slabbed coins. I used to crack some of these out and do quite well. Now days I collect and appreciate them for what they are. Thanks for sharing!
  • edited December 2021
    Not every coin that is inexpensive is uninteresting.  Here's my 1840 large cent in AU53.  Common coin but a lovely one that fits into my 1840 mint set very nicely.  Despite being relatively common in AU there are only a few with CAC. Only one other AU53.  And not all that many at all with CAC until you get to ms 64's and 65's. Also, when I was looking for a coin to fill this slot in my collection it was not easy to find one that seemed to have original surfaces and was not covered with a lot of oxidation!  So not so common after all......   Also, I have very little interest in uncirculated pieces, regardless of price.  They often seem boring to me....  Like a ship that's never been to sea.
  • Morgantop said:
    Great collection of many old obsolete grading companies slabbed coins. I used to crack some of these out and do quite well. Now days I collect and appreciate them for what they are. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks!  Actually, that was a very old picture and I've since added a few dozen more.  Here is the current list although I think I will be picking up one more new addition today if I can win the auction:

• Not every coin that is inexpensive is uninteresting.  Here's my 1840 large cent in AU53.  Common coin but a lovely one that fits into my 1840 mint set very nicely.  Despite being relatively common in AU there are only a few with CAC. Only one other AU53.  And not all that many at all with CAC until you get to ms 64's and 65's. Also, when I was looking for a coin to fill this slot in my collection it was not easy to find one that seemed to have original surfaces and was not covered with a lot of oxidation!  So not so common after all......   Also, I have very little interest in uncirculated pieces, regardless of price.  They often seem boring to me....  Like a ship that's never been to sea.
    I totally agree. In fact many inexpensive coins are very interesting and make up an important part of our collection. I also appreciate that CAC will look at all price levels (my only point was that they certainly didn’t intend to do that from the beginning as their business model seems more focused on higher end pieces). 
  • I believe you started a great post. It brought out some great pics of nice regular coins to share. Some of my favorite coins in my collection are not all high dollar coins. It can be said many rare high-end coins in some collections do not even see the light of day very often. I hope to see many more Cac certified medium dollar coins in this forum. This 1840 Large Cent is a great example of a Cac certified AU53. Very nice strike.    "Just Don't Send to Many MS Ikes to Cac" LOL...
  • Morgantop said:
    I believe you started a great post. It brought out some great pics of nice regular coins to share. Some of my favorite coins in my collection are not all high dollar coins. It can be said many rare high-end coins in some collections do not even see the light of day very often. I hope to see many more Cac certified medium dollar coins in this forum. This 1840 Large Cent is a great example of a Cac certified AU53. Very nice strike.    "Just Don't Send to Many MS Ikes to Cac" LOL...
    Thank you! And I agree that we have had some great coins shared so far (and hopefully more will be shared-don't worry you all don't have to compete with @Winesteven and @pointfivezero as they have a pretty good foothold on lowest price guide value). 
  • I think these two are about tied. However, after looking at the 56 more closely, it is a DDR and I am not sure if I should send it back to Pcgs? It would be nice to have it correctly attributed, then send it back to CAC. I am still thinking about it.
  • Congrats @pointfivezero. We can cut off all future entries, as you clearly will take the prize for the cheapest five CAC coins in a single collection!

Some years ago someone had the idea for lowball Registry sets. You may be starting a new fad - who can complete a particular full Registry set, 100% CAC, for the lowest total CAC Price Report value!!!!!!!!!!!  (Don't fear, I won't be a competitor, lol)
    Not so fast, I have sever that are $22 and am building a set that will include one at $18……so everyone watch your fronts cuz I’m headed straight to the bottom!
  • Congrats @pointfivezero. We can cut off all future entries, as you clearly will take the prize for the cheapest five CAC coins in a single collection!

Not so fast, I have sever that are $22 and am building a set that will include one at $18……so everyone watch your fronts cuz I’m headed straight to the bottom!
    Well, the proof is in the pudding, as they say.   BTW, I'm putting together another low ball submission of Mercury dines so your "lead" may be short lived.

Tim
  • It's not on any requirements page but it has been the prevailing thought since the beginning. I'd bet most people would tell you the same.

Seriously - E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N.  'Most people' don't work for CAC.  Why are we having this thread if the 'prevailing thought' is that only to post expensive coins?  Why does the CAC quarterly hard copy price guide have a running set of articles about CAC coins 'priced below $150'?  So the 'prevailing thought' is that people with low priced coins like that are not part of the CAC clique? 

Again, I have sent in 5 figure coins and 2 figure coins, I want to know what CAC thinks.  This is how to learn, if others have had the 'prevailing thought' that this is only about uber coins, then CAC would have put a cost limit on coins to submit.  If the 'prevailing thought' is indeed that only expensive coins matter then I guess I am done.  I am pretty sure they would have never had these boards if that were CAC's intention (they are called Education Forums).  Collecting, and submission to CAC, is not about only expensive coins as CAC itself has clearly decided.  But I guess the 'prevailing thought' says otherwise so folks like me who post low value coins probably should not be here on the CAC Education Forums.

So I guess these boards are not for me. For my last post here is a lousy low priced coin that is stunning and CACed.......  Yup, low priced dreck that is not worthy of the 'prevailing thought'.  Goodbye CAC Education Forums and sorry I did not fit in................

• HardTimes said:
    It's not on any requirements page but it has been the prevailing thought since the beginning. I'd bet most people would tell you the same.

Seriously - E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N.  'Most people' don't work for CAC.  Why are we having this thread if the 'prevailing thought' is that only to post expensive coins?  Why does the CAC quarterly hard copy price guide have a running set of articles about CAC coins 'priced below $150'?  So the 'prevailing thought' is that people with low priced coins like that are not part of the CAC clique? 

Again, I have sent in 5 figure coins and 2 figure coins, I want to know what CAC thinks.  This is how to learn, if others have had the 'prevailing thought' that this is only about uber coins, then CAC would have put a cost limit on coins to submit.  If the 'prevailing thought' is indeed that only expensive coins matter then I guess I am done.  I am pretty sure they would have never had these boards if that were CAC's intention (they are called Education Forums).  Collecting, and submission to CAC, is not about only expensive coins as CAC itself has clearly decided.  But I guess the 'prevailing thought' says otherwise so folks like me who post low value coins probably should not be here on the CAC Education Forums.

So I guess these boards are not for me. For my last post here is a lousy low priced coin that is stunning and CACed.......  Yup, low priced dreck that is not worthy of the 'prevailing thought'.  Goodbye CAC Education Forums and sorry I did not fit in................

Take a deep breath and relax. It can easily be the case that the intention of CAC was not to review low priced coins and that they provide the service because there is demand for it. No one said your collection is insignificant or wrong. I stated multiple times that the sub $100 coins are some of the most important foundations of many collections. I started the thread because I like seeing people go against the “prevailing thought” and have done it myself on many occasions. You have posted great coins and I appreciate seeing them. Keep posting, sending in to CAC, and enjoying your collection.
  • Here is a mix of medium grade Cac certified Morgan's and an Obsolete grading company Morgan combined.
  • Morgantop said:
    Here is a mix of medium grade Cac certified Morgan's and an Obsolete grading company Morgan combined.
    Very nice group!