What's the least expensive CAC coin you own? - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

What's the least expensive CAC coin you own?

13»

Comments

• Congrats @pointfivezero. We can cut off all future entries, as you clearly will take the prize for the cheapest five CAC coins in a single collection!

Some years ago someone had the idea for lowball Registry sets. You may be starting a new fad - who can complete a particular full Registry set, 100% CAC, for the lowest total CAC Price Report value!!!!!!!!!!!  (Don't fear, I won't be a competitor, lol)
    Not so fast, I have sever that are $22 and am building a set that will include one at $18……so everyone watch your fronts cuz I’m headed straight to the bottom!
    Well, the proof is in the pudding, as they say.   BTW, I'm putting together another low ball submission of Mercury dines so your "lead" may be short lived.

Tim
    Ya, mine have to be in a rattler, so I have limited options on adding more bottom dwellers.
  • I really like the ACCUGRADE Certificate! I have never seen one, heard about them. That is a piece of numismatic  history in itself.
  • edited December 2021
    u1chicago said:
    HardTimes said:
    It's not on any requirements page but it has been the prevailing thought since the beginning. I'd bet most people would tell you the same.

Seriously - E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N.  'Most people' don't work for CAC.  Why are we having this thread if the 'prevailing thought' is that only to post expensive coins?  Why does the CAC quarterly hard copy price guide have a running set of articles about CAC coins 'priced below $150'?  So the 'prevailing thought' is that people with low priced coins like that are not part of the CAC clique? 

Again, I have sent in 5 figure coins and 2 figure coins, I want to know what CAC thinks.  This is how to learn, if others have had the 'prevailing thought' that this is only about uber coins, then CAC would have put a cost limit on coins to submit.  If the 'prevailing thought' is indeed that only expensive coins matter then I guess I am done.  I am pretty sure they would have never had these boards if that were CAC's intention (they are called Education Forums).  Collecting, and submission to CAC, is not about only expensive coins as CAC itself has clearly decided.  But I guess the 'prevailing thought' says otherwise so folks like me who post low value coins probably should not be here on the CAC Education Forums.

So I guess these boards are not for me. For my last post here is a lousy low priced coin that is stunning and CACed.......  Yup, low priced dreck that is not worthy of the 'prevailing thought'.  Goodbye CAC Education Forums and sorry I did not fit in................

Take a deep breath and relax. It can easily be the case that the intention of CAC was not to review low priced coins and that they provide the service because there is demand for it. No one said your collection is insignificant or wrong. I stated multiple times that the sub $100 coins are some of the most important foundations of many collections. I started the thread because I like seeing people go against the “prevailing thought” and have done it myself on many occasions. You have posted great coins and I appreciate seeing them. Keep posting, sending in to CAC, and enjoying your collection.
    The purpose of stickering coins was to identify coins for a sight seen trading network. That would necessarily mean it is looking at profits (as all businesses must if they are to stay in business) which would only come from higher priced coins.

This is not to say that there is not educational value in submitting cheaper coins nor is it a criticism of those that use CAC on inexpensive coins as an educational tool. Using this strategy is a quick way to become a proficient grader in a series. Although services often use different standards for key dates (often more liberal for lower grade circulated coins), it shouldn’t be that way. Learning to grade common dates properly is useful in learning to recognize the quality of “better” material.
  • Cheap or not, there have been some really nice coins shown. This would be my cheapest CAC coin. 

Donato

• The least expensive CAC coin I own is a 1936 PCGS MS64 Rattler buffalo nickel with a CAC gold bean that looks to be an easy 66 shot 67. I purchased it bean less when gold sticker coin prices were spiking (prior to the Heritage gold CAC hoard sale).
  • PCGS Price Guide: $75 :)
    Price Realized: Much higher :(

How much of the price was due to CAC and how much due to the provenance?

• $75 (PCGS 66)

$113 (PCGS 64)

• Neat coins overall!
    I would speculate many low-cost CAC coins- especially those in OGHs were perhaps submitted in the hopes they would receive a gold bean.

• $30 NGC price guide.
  • JVCJVC
    edited January 2022

1879 S Morgan. Not sure of the value, but I liked the coin and thought it should have a sticker.
  • Beautiful NGC MS65 1879-S proof like! This Morgan needs to be on its way to Cac.
  • edited January 2022
    I feel like I'm watching a limbo contest :#

CAC did the math for collectors from minute #1.
    @Winesteven's remark in another thread about leaving money on the table is obvious to any dealer who already uses TPGs.
    The point about "bang for the buck" is "dancing smiley" obvious for all classes of financially-based industry participants.
    Some collectors resist sending in some coins for whatever reasons. Some of them make more sense to some others of us.

CAC did the math for COLLECTORS from minute #1.
    Send in everything in a slab that you want to. We'll charge you $13.50 $16.00 for telling you we agree. Since you're a collector and (mostly) not trying to make a buck, we won't charge you if you're "wrong". Have as many free lessons as you want. Mistakes are FREE.
    Or something like that. :D

IIRC there was a podcast where @JACAC said that after 9-10 years they were finally turning a profit on the stickering part of the CAC operation. The trading department has been subsidizing free tuition for collectors from the day the doors first opened.

A paradigm shift away from "Does this add $16 in market value?" to "I can build an entire CAC verified set for $16 a coin!!".

Separate registry awards for series, short sets, type sets, first year of type, etc. :p Over-the-top, but it's the kind of fun that can be had on the cheap in the hobby of kings.
  • My late entry. Not a leader in the clubhouse, but probably playing in final grouping. $29 in the guide.
  • edited January 2022
    This is the cheapest "Coin" I have sent in. The value based on the grade is $40.00 according to the PCGS Guide. Obviously the plastic and sticker are worth far more than the coin though. LOL

• Here is one while not as cheap as the rest, has an unnecessary CAC sticker for its market position