Cherrypicked a RARE Modern RPM: 1968 S/S FS-502 Roosevelt Proof — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Cherrypicked a RARE Modern RPM: 1968 S/S FS-502 Roosevelt Proof

edited May 2023 in General

Very small local club show in dealers 2x2 stock. Sadly, has a long shallow scratch across the portraits cheek, so it will either get a details grade or possibly a PF64?

Since publication of this variety in the Cherrypickers Guide, very few have been found. It is one of the rarest modern proof RPMs.

Unfortunately, if CACG sticks to their plan of ONLY denoting Fivaz-Stanton numbers ending with "01" (as in FS-101, FS-501, etc), this neat variety will not be eligible for CACG Variety Attribution.

I think a better idea would be for CACG to consider each variety on a case-by-case basis and not adhere to a blanket policy that will exclude cool coins such as this...

Comments

• Maybe we need a new variety attribution numbering system based upon the guide and CACG would be trail blazers by doing so.
  • I like NGC's system - use FS numbers and their own system in addition to cover everything else.
  • I agree, Cacg should consider varieties like your FS-502.
       I have been waiting to see if  Cacg will  recognize VP-001. I have three that I have been waiting to send to them for attribution. They already have a green sticker ( 1952 proof Franklin , Recut Hair ) . 
       Guess if they don't then they will go to NGC variety +.  Pcgs failed to attribute my coin when I sent it to them.
  • edited May 2023
    If you can stand the wait William I am nearly certain (one can never be completely sure about anything when it comes to the CPG) that the recut hair 1952 Proof WILL be one of the new listings in the next edition that covers half dollars.

It could be a LONG wait though, in light of the latest revelation: that the CPG edition due to be published later this year will only cover half dimes through quarter dollars. NO half dollars.

• Thank you for the insight. I am not planning on selling for a long, long time, so if I must wait guess I can. 
  • Definitely scarce. Maybe only one die (about 3,000 strikes).

Pops:

PCGS 11
    NGC 1
    ANACS 4
  • *working die
  • edited June 2023
    Good news is my OP dime straight graded at PF64. Bad news is the incompetent folks working at NGC failed to attribute the variety.

I used to wonder why many varieties have much lower pops at NGC relative to PCGS and ANACS.
    For example, for this particular variety the PCGS population is 10, whereas NGC has only graded a single example.

I have come to realize that this discrepancy in populations is due to THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
  • Good news is my OP dime straight graded at PF64. Bad news is the incompetent folks working at NGC failed to attribute the variety.

I used to wonder why many varieties have much lower pops at NGC relative to PCGS and ANACS. I have come to realize that this discrepancy is due to THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

<3 Good on you. I search for this piece everywhere I go.
    Concur with your realization.
  • edited June 2023
    Just now spoke with NGC Customer Service and got the standard BS:

"Yes, I can see that your coin did indeed go through variety and that the graders did not see any variety."

Well it IS the variety so what recourse do I have? I paid for a service I did not get.

"I can't do anything about it."

OK, can I please talk to someone who CAN do something about it?

"Our graders are experts! If they say it is not a variety, that's the end of it."

I wish I could still edit the title to this thread. I would change it to NGC BLOWS IT YET AGAIN!

• Just now spoke with NGC Customer Service and got the standard BS:

"Yes, I can see that your coin did indeed go through variety and that the graders did not see any variety."

Well it IS the variety so what recourse do I have? I paid for a service I did not get.

"I can't do anything about it."

OK, can I please talk to someone who CAN do something about it?

"Our graders are experts! If they say it is not a variety, that's the end of it."

I wish I could still edit the title to this thread. I would change it to NGC BLOWS IT YET AGAIN!

<3
  • @Bushmaster we will indeed go beyond the 01's once we begin label attributing FS varieties, only a little patience is required. And if the submitter correctly attributes any pay-for variety that we recognize at the time of submission then the attribution fee is 50% off as the time involved to correctly attribute the coin is reduced to only needing to verify the work of the submitter. Hope this helps.
  • Chris_CAC said:

@Bushmaster we will indeed go beyond the 01's once we begin label attributing FS varieties, only a little patience is required. And if the submitter correctly attributes any pay-for variety that we recognize at the time of submission then the attribution fee is 50% off as the time involved to correctly attribute the coin is reduced to only needing to verify the work of the submitter. Hope this helps.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Finally someone recognizes the work of the submitter. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is when you give a TPG the exact variety and they still can't see it.
  • Chris_CAC said:

@Bushmaster we will indeed go beyond the 01's once we begin label attributing FS varieties, only a little patience is required. And if the submitter correctly attributes any pay-for variety that we recognize at the time of submission then the attribution fee is 50% off as the time involved to correctly attribute the coin is reduced to only needing to verify the work of the submitter. Hope this helps.

This is a genius idea by the CAC team. GENIUS!