After 40+ Years of Collecting Mercury Dimes, My First Ever Proof! — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

After 40+ Years of Collecting Mercury Dimes, My First Ever Proof!

It's a distraction from my 1934-1945 Toned Business Strikes but I think it is a worthy distraction.
Outside of the white examples, this one is mostly free of the heavy haze, unsightly streaks, tans/browns, carbon spots and toning that has gone terminal black, eating through the luster layer of a coin etc. And since I tend to like my Mercury Dimes with a splash of color, this one worked for me.

PCGS PR68 CAC. CAC Pop is 57/3.

Comments

• I love it! Congratulations!
  • I know one dealer who dulled down 1945 proofs and sold them as the rare business strike with FB. Yet another reason that the grading services are needed.
  • CACfan said:

I know one dealer who dulled down 1945 proofs and sold them as the rare business strike with FB. Yet another reason that the grading services are needed.

That would be a major mistake, given that 1945 Proofs were never struck and would therefore be worth quite a bit more than any FB business strike.
  • Caught like a skunk in space and time...
  • Ha! Another one to add to the list of reasons for lost credibility!

Steve
  •    That is an amazing proof mercury pal.  I’m happy for you .

The one commenting above incorrectly tends to suck the life out of everything he comments in or about so negatively and so often .   He’s single handedly taken the enjoyment out of my beloved hobby and has me seriously thinking of walking away.    
  •    That is an amazing proof mercury pal.  I’m happy for you .

The one commenting above incorrectly tends to suck the life out of everything he comments in or about so negatively and so often .   He’s single handedly taken the enjoyment out of my beloved hobby and has me seriously thinking of walking away.    

“Say it ain’t so, Joe!”

Vince, don’t give up, just ignore.

Steve
  • edited May 2023
       That is an amazing proof mercury pal.  I’m happy for you .

“Say it ain’t so, Joe!” Vince, don’t give up, just ignore. Steve

I’m trying my good friend.   If we were thinking in terms of good vs evil ….  You are the good that has outweighed the evil and that keeps me here. 
  • edited May 2023
    Vince, as noted, he regularly states one error after another. Forum members now know this, and as a result, most of us no longer give those posts/replies the credibility that we give all other members.

Have fun!

Steve
  • I love the color, very nice 42 proof! Thinking I should have one for my collection. Thanks for the post!
  • FlyingAl said:

CACfan said:

I know one dealer who dulled down 1945 proofs and sold them as the rare business strike with FB. Yet another reason that the grading services are needed.

That would be a major mistake, given that 1945 Proofs were never struck and would therefore be worth quite a bit more than any FB business strike.
    True, but I naively believed this famous dealer's tall tale when I was very young. And so did his equally naive customers who bought his misrepresented, misattributed, and over graded coins. He is still in business and a household name among coin dealers young and old. He mainly deals in modern coins now.
  • So you passed on to the forum without question something that you believed when you were very young (that there were 1945 Proof Merc's), and now as an adult high volume coin dealer on eBay that deals in rare and key dates, absolutely NO mention by you in your original comment that there's no such thing as a 1945 Proof Merc? And you wonder why many forum members choose to give your comments very little creditability??????

Steve
  • CACfan said:

FlyingAl said:

CACfan said:

True, but I naively believed this famous dealer's tall tale when I was very young. And so did his equally naive customers who bought his misrepresented, misattributed, and over graded coins. He is still in business and a household name among coin dealers young and old. He mainly deals in modern coins now.
    Right. I don't believe you, and I bet all of the above is a lie meant to cover up your quite large mistake.
  •   His track record of lying is well documented and his credibility is below zero.  

Cacfan you have no idea how much joy it brings me seeing you called out by everyone on this forum and other forums too 

• edited June 2023
    CACfan said:
    I think the same dealer tried to sell me a 1914 Liberty Head nickel. $*#%^* 🤣
  • I did not know they struck 1945 proof dimes let alone 1944 and 1943.
  • edited June 2023
    keyman64 said:

It's a distraction from my 1934-1945 Toned Business Strikes but I think it is a worthy distraction.
    Outside of the white examples, this one is mostly free of the heavy haze, unsightly streaks, tans/browns, carbon spots and toning that has gone terminal black, eating through the luster layer of a coin etc. And since I tend to like my Mercury Dimes with a splash of color, this one worked for me.

PCGS PR68 CAC. CAC Pop is 57/3.

Proof mercury dimes were minted to look nice which is the reason I stayed away from proof mercury dimes other than a curiosity piece here and there. Finding a fabulous mint state mercury dime is a miracle so much more exciting to hunt down.

I suspect that is why it took you so long to even decide to buy your first proof mercury dime.
  • oreville said:

I did not know they struck 1945 proof dimes let alone 1944 and 1943.

They didn't. As such, you have to be so VERY careful whenever @CACfan makes a statement, as he's been incorrect quite often lately. It seems he believes what he hears from his sources is true.

Steve
  • oreville said:

They didn't. As such, you have to be so VERY careful whenever @CACfan makes a statement, as he's been incorrect quite often lately. It seems he believes what he hears from his sources is true.

Steve
    I think Cacfan needs more sleep.
  • oreville said:

oreville said:

Steve
    I think Cacfan needs more sleep.
    Perhaps. I’ll keep my mouth shut on what I think.

Steve