Will either CAC or CACG make a market in CACG graded coins? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Will either CAC or CACG make a market in CACG graded coins?

Will either CAC or CACG make a market in CACG graded coins?

Comments

• The entity(ies) is/are, by definition, making a market, no?

I am not sure, though, your interpretation of "making a market".
  • john said:

The entity(ies) is/are, by definition, making a market, no?

I am not sure, though, your interpretation of "making a market".

Going forward, I don't know what CAC and CACG will be doing with respect to market making. CAC has been a "market maker" in many CAC coins. However, as a grading company, the new entity isn't, by definition, necessarily making a market in CAC and/or CACG coins. Likewise, NGC and PCGS haven't been market makers in coins they have graded.

One definition of "market maker": "A market maker or liquidity provider is a company or an individual that quotes both a buy and a sell price in a tradable asset held in inventory, ..."
  • Yep.....investing, based on market conditions.
  • john said:

Yep.....investing, based on market conditions.

For clarification: "Will Either CAC or CACG...". Of course the making of a market is in play (for better or for worse). Logic.
  • I wouldn't think a grading company would or should make a market in its own product. But certainly many of the owners will do so, to some extent, in the normal course of business.
  • Good morning.  CAC will not be making a market   JA 
  • edited June 2023
    JACAC said:

Good morning.  CAC will not be making a market   JA 

When the word "investing" enters the Hobby/Collector forums, it is perceived as a "market". It may not be the intent, but it does make a market, whether planned or not.

It may not be the elephant in the room, but it has become all to familiar jargon when the Hobby is discussed.

Making a market has different connotations to different participants in the hobby. It is not a phrase to be condemned or to be glorified, and it is clear that you have always stated (going back to the 2008 CU Thread on the very subject, that the purpose of your efforts was and is firstly, to benefit collectors.

It is a market, though, and due to your efforts, it is a much safer and comfortable market.

Truth in editing: added an " l" where appropriate, because I didn't want to pan for the audience instead of planning a response. (See what I did there? I am hugging my self for my incredible wit!).
  • Just to be clear, CAC is still making a market in CAC sticker coins as per their $98,202,232.36 in bids for them as of now.
  • If one has to rely on CAC to buy back or " make a market" on a wonderful vintage classic coin that has been stickered by CAC....well that would seem to be a very limiting option to sell a coin and tells me that particular coin is not much in demand.