Guess Grade and guess CAC (or NOT) — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Guess Grade and guess CAC (or NOT)

edited December 2021 in Silver Coins
Please take a look at this 1839o 10c and vote on grade and CAC designation.  It would be great if you could explain your vote.  I will reveal after it appears no more votes are coming in.  Thank you

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Au55 but no cac due to subdued luster form tone. Should sticker at 53. Tough grading a grade of a grade you don’t know what it is. 

Cool coin
  • I will let the other members grade this naturally toned and original beauty. All I can add is it is a wonderful LSD.
  • edited December 2021
    It’s similarly toned little brother 
  • AU53, CAC is my guess!
  • Without holding it in my hands, I would say it is an EX 45. 
       The lines in the shield are fading, the drapery is not crisp and starting to flatten, knees and hair show signs. The devices still show great detail.  My biggest issue is the lack of luster. I don't see any on the reverse?   I would personally expect partial reverse luster at au 50. 
      I am not sure about cac. Looks like some faint mark hindering it.  Obverse, line left side of body to shield, across her chest and   right side in the field and color differences above that? Overall I like the coin!  
       Final grade,
              EX45.

• 50 with a good shot at a green sticker 
  • AU40 green 
  • The votes are in:

au55 
    au55 CAC 
    au53 CAC 
    au50 CAC 
    xf45
    Xf40

This is what I expected, because I find grading this coin difficult.  

The answer is:
    PCGS AU50 GOLD BEAN

• Thanks for all your comments. There is not much luster on this coin. It is “original” as dealers and auctioneers like to say. Because of the thick toning, I initially thought it was an XF.  But when it got a gold bean, I was jaw struck. One really needs to look closely under the miscroscope. 
  • The votes are in:

au55 
    au55 CAC 
    au53 CAC 
    au50 CAC 
    xf45
    Xf40

If you sent it in to PCGS right now, you could get any one of the above grades!   :#
  • I saw round arms with traces on mint surfaces on the high points. Not the fullest strike but that is a moving target on coins the size of dimes, any guess below AU was mean. 
  • Wow! Amazing!  Gold sticker, congratulations. 
  • Congratulations!  FYI - CAC considers the AU53 grade superfluous so the gold sticker here means that CAC sees it (at least) as a solid AU55.
  • I got here too late, but it looked AU53 to me.