Why I took a break from PCGS grading. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Why I took a break from PCGS grading.

I have always loved their consistency over the years.  Even have a couple of friends there.  That said, this last year has been questionable, when choosing a kinder word.  Even tough I could pick from several or more examples, I chose the following.

I bought this coin on eBay, earlier in the year, if memory serves.

That is a CAC GOLD sticker on a FATTY!  I cracked it out and sent it in.  

Here is what it came back as.  On submission one.  (Copied right from my order)

What a good grade.  I still felt it was better, so I cracked and sent again.  Here is the cut/paste from the next submission.

Are you kidding me?  What a joke!  So I crack and send again!!!!!!!!

And the grade comes back........

A total JOKE my friends.  Thus, I will not send ANY coins in for grading.  CHEERS!

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Your submission(s) is worth a thousand words.
    And another reason why I chose to collect NGC fatties beaned for a sweet smallish collection.
    And yes I fully understand that the market doesn't value beaned NGC coins as high as beaned PCGS coins, but then I have never followed the masses and if I lose monies someday in the future so be it. I am not in this hobby for the money although I have a good amount invested.
  • Quitting while you’re ahead comes to mind, that said I think you started ahead and just started throwing money at falling behind
  • Just another day at the sausage factory!
  • You should have sent the PCGS 66+ as a Reconsideration. That way, at the worst the coin does not upgrade but you still have your 66+.
  • A fatty with a gold cac and you cracked it out??? 
  • Wow. You pays your money and you takes your chances. I'd have never, ever, cracked out the gold-CAC fatty.
  • Crypto said:
    Quitting while you’re ahead comes to mind, that said I think you started ahead and just started throwing money at falling behind

A lot of money to get back to the original 65 grade. Looks like NGC nailed it the first time. 
  • edited December 2021
    Sounds like you should take a break from cracking out period if you can't take the losses along with the victories.

I would guess that as a 65 with a gold sticker on an old fatty the coin would sell for more than in a new PCGS 66+ holder with no sticker. 

The price for this coin only goes up dramatically at 68. Did you really think cracking out the 66+ that it would come back as a 68?

Send the coin back to CAC now in the PCGS 65 for a re-sticker as gold and lesson learned.

• I rarely play the lottery. Except when the pot is huge. 
  • I sold nice beaned coins in OGHs from my collection that the buyers cracked out and resubmitted for an upgrade. Seems a shame to destroy a piece of numismatic history, but people gonna do what people gonna do chasing a dollar. . . . .
  • jonruns said:
    Sounds like you should take a break from cracking out period if you can't take the losses along with the victories.

I would guess that as a 65 with a gold sticker on an old fatty the coin would sell for more than in a new PCGS 66+ holder with no sticker. 

The price for this coin only goes up dramatically at 68. Did you really think cracking out the 66+ that it would come back as a 68?

Send the coin back to CAC now in the PCGS 65 for a re-sticker as gold and lesson learned.

No guarantee of this as it has been cracked 3 times. Given how stingy they are with gold beans, it could come back with green.

Let's not kick someone while they're down but I would never crack a gold bean either.
  • edited December 2021
    Russy said: No guarantee of this as it has been cracked 3 times. Given how stingy they are with gold beans, it could come back with green.

Jonruns said: If you send the coin back in a PCGS 65 holder how does CAC know it has been cracked 3 times? Unless you post it on their forum board I guess...

Not meaning to kick a guy while he is down any more than the he is disparaging the grading abilities of PCGS.
  • edited December 2021
    If it was me I would have loved to own said coin in an old NGC no line fatty with a gold bean, dream trophy. But I also understand the tug to drink the PCGS Koolaide as many collectors choose to do.
    It would have fit perfectly into my collection as is, 30 + year old holder where said coin remained unmessed with and  conservatively graded by NGC and then basically regraded ie stickered by our Hosts and given the highest honor, who could ask for more.
     I also realize that almost every dealer I know does this on a daily basis because they understand the market and want to achieve the highest dollar amount out of the market because they know that once in a PCGS holder vs NGC they will achieve the highest selling price (because collectors want their stuff in PCGS holders).
    IMO this whole philosophy is ridiculous and unnecessary but it is what it is. Wouldn't it be great if CAC got into the slabbing business and solved the problem once and for all, one can only wish.
    BTW beautiful comm either way!
  • Do not knock a grading service because of one coin. Big Moose was right-reconsideration was the right way to go. What was wrong w/a 66+ to being with?

Frankly, the standards for BOTH PCGS and NGC seem to be a moving target. Keep in mind, diff graders might have looked at the coins each time
  • Legend said:
    Do not knock a grading service because of one coin. Big Moose was right-reconsideration was the right way to go. What was wrong w/a 66+ to being with?

Frankly, the standards for BOTH PCGS and NGC seem to be a moving target. Keep in mind, diff graders might have looked at the coins each time
    Once the coin was cracked out and received the 66+ reconsideration would have absolutely been the right move. But imho the coin should never have been cracked out, and for me therein lies the problem. A no line ngc fatty gold beaned is the homerun in my small world.
  • Realone said:
    Legend said:
    Do not knock a grading service because of one coin. Big Moose was right-reconsideration was the right way to go. What was wrong w/a 66+ to being with?

Once the coin was cracked out and received the 66+ reconsideration would have absolutely been the right move. But imho the coin should never have been cracked out, and for me therein lies the problem. A no line ngc fatty gold beaned is the homerun in my small world.
    This is my end of the pool as well.  I have sold 2 gold bean coins out of all that I have made, and cracked out none.  Have crossed around 8 or so to get into PCGS plastic, but those were all green beans.
  • Thanks for all the comments.  Those who know me understand I have no fear of cracking.  I had a reason to do so. 

The point of the discussion is the complete inconsistency lately.  Numerous graders and a finalizer saw it as a 66+, and a month later as "CLEANED"?  When I send it back to CAC with all the proof, I am confident I will again get the Gold bean, as I have in the past.  
  • of course there is inconsistency-do u really believe the same teams saw the coin? humans grade coins-not robots
  • Legend said:
    of course there is inconsistency-do u really believe the same teams saw the coin? humans grade coins-not robots
    Hmm, so are you really saying that such outrageous inconsistency is to be expected because humans are doing it and inconsistency is the rule?
    How can a slabbing company legitimately call a coin that they graded multiple times 66+, cleaned, 65? I thought there is a science, a method, and an a learned opinion that distinguishes cleaned from uncleaned especially when in the upper grades, and when grading on a 70 point scale which is being promoted by the grading companies ignorer to do a more professional job for its clients that there is a measurable difference between 65 & 66 let along the advent of the most important plus designation.
    I personally am unable to distinguish between 1 point let along a plus, but the grading companies are selling us its relevance, and now you are saying that how can one expect a human eye/opinion be expected to grade such close differences? You cannot have it both ways. Either the grading companies grade accurately between such close points or we go back to bu, choice bu where there is a grey area between 1 point differences.
    And then how can you justify the huge price jumps between 65 & 66 in many a series if a grading company is going to fail when the same coin is submitted 3 times.
    To me its a travesty of the grading system or the grading company where the collector always loses when the music stops.
  • Legend said:
    of course there is inconsistency-do u really believe the same teams saw the coin? humans grade coins-not robots
    LOL.  If you had a coin go from 66+ to cleaned, that had a Gold bean, there would be a special edition Hot Topics published!   :D
This discussion has been closed.