Concerns about FUN attendance - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Concerns about FUN attendance

Comments

• With respect to Winesteven & Legend’s blogs: FUN’s website listing dealers is so far behind because they are likely deluged w recent & ever increasing cancelations and certainly don’t want to decimate the show’s prospects even further. Second, everyone  better check their flight reservations because I just did 
    & found AA had totally changed my Sat return flight from 5 PM to 7 AM w/o notifying me, thereby losing an entire Sat bourse day. Fortunately I was able to  change my 7 AM departure back to 5 PM but w a layover in Charlotte. There are so many flight cancelations that apparently the airlines are 
    re- assigning flights w no notification or
    consideration of even losing a full day!

• MR Mellado,
    That is incredible that the AA would make that change and not alert you to it. 

• HLRC just sent out an email indicating they are not attending for the first time in 40 years 
  • Just checked my Spam / Junk email & there was no American Airlines notification. But this aside from fact they changed my flight from 5 PM to 7 AM when other AA flights at 5 PM were available.
  • Legend Numismatics is NOT going. Legend Auctions is. 

Many dealers did have their flights cancelled and said the heck w/it. Many others-especially the West Cost dealers seem to be sitting this one out. 

It will end up a big regional show this time. Next FUN, every dealer who left an empty table-will be in the back of the room. That will be one heck of a bourse! 
  • Not great news that FUN might end up being seen as a “regional” show. I’ve been following up with dealers that I hope to complete deals with. The FUN topics site seems to be updating their dealer cancellations. Thank you to Legend for posting on this site. Hopefully other dealers that opt out will post here as well. Really sad that HLRC is missing.
  • Doug Winter and  Joe O Connor cancelled. Anyone with a health issue pretty much is out. 

Can't blame the FUN people. The state of FL handles Covid different.

We cancelled due to health reasons. PCGS is not bringing their graders. And heritage rescheduled their auction. 

I think the local FL dealers will do really well. It will be interesting to see how strong attendance will be on both sides of the isle. 
  • Legend said:

...Can't blame the FUN people. The state of FL handles Covid..
    Are you saying the “FUN people” couldn’t have required masks and/or proof of vaccination?
  • edited January 2022
    Mark - I could be wrong, but in my state of Florida, a choice MUST be offered regarding restrictions: either show proof of vaccination, OR a negative Covid test taken within a certain limited period of time before the event. As you said, requiring a ask would work as a valid alternative, but we all know how enforceable that is once one gets past the gatekeeper.
  • edited January 2022
    Mark - I could be wrong, but in my state of Florida, a choice MUST be offered regarding restrictions: either show proof of vaccination, OR a negative Covid test taken within a certain limited period of time before the event. As you said, requiring a ask would work as a valid alternative, but we all know how enforceable that is once one gets past the gatekeeper.
    Steve, the below quote is from the FUN site. It sounds as if the show organizers chose not to impose any conditions upon show attendees. So, while apparently Laura thinks we “can’t blame the FUN people”, I strongly disagree (Edited to add:regarding at least part of the blame).

The Orange County Convention Center (OCCC) has not changed their COVID requirements for convention attendees. As per the FUN Board decision in September we will follow the protocols established by the State of Florida and the OCCC in the case of a conflict the State of Florida rules will take precedent. The OCCC has established that the organizers of all conventions in the OCCC can establish the Covid guidelines within their leased convention area. We do not plan to mandates masking protocols on the bourse floor, we learned from Summer FUN that enforcing such rules is extremely difficult and we do not have the manpower to enforce it. The dealers at their tables can make the rules they want to enforce for doing business at their table. We understand that we cannot please everyone in this regards. We encourage our attendees to take the precautions you feel are needed to protect yourself.

The Orange County Convention Center has implemented a mask requirement for its employee staff ONLY. There are NO restrictions on convention attendees entering the Convention Center.“

• edited January 2022
    Mark - I agree with you. But had they chose to impose restrictions, it could not have been just proof of vaccination. That's not allowed in Florida without an alternative choice. I think we're in full agreement?
  • Mark - I agree with you. But had they chose to impose restrictions, it could not have been just proof of vaccination. That's not allowed in Florida without an alternative choice. I think we're in full agreement?
    Steve, I don’t know the state policy regarding alternatives, so will defer to you on that. It sounds like we’re in full agreement.
  • Yes, they could have required masks, etc. They did not have too at the the time when the board met. I just came from HI. You need your vax cads and masks to go anywhere-including outside resturants. Those folks know how to keep a lid on Covid. 

It simply was a show not meant to be. 
  • edited January 2022
    Legend said:
    Yes, they could have required masks, etc. They did not have too at the the time when the board met. I just came from HI. You need your vax cads and masks to go anywhere-including outside resturants. Those folks know how to keep a lid on Covid. 

It simply was a show not meant to be. 
    I just came back from Hawaii as well, and they do have it under control, but it is with government mandates on both inbound travel and restaurants. To even board a plane that lands in Hawaii, you need proof of vaccination or a recent negative test from a list of pre-approved providers. The restaurant mandate is from "Safe Access Oahu" and was stringently checked in Waikiki.

Even without a government mandate, events at the OCCC have implemented their own mask mandates. An example is the AKC National Championship which was held at the OCCC on Dec 18-19, 2021. Here's a copy of their mask policy:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn-origin-etr.akc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/01141002/Face-Mask-ORLANDO-FINAL-2021.pdf

So at the end of the day, it seems like the event mask policy is determined by the event organizer, FUN or AKC here.
  • Over 3,000 flights in US canceled today ( Monday) . I won’t know about my cross -country flight to FUN til tomw. Fortunately, 
    I have a late night flight so I’ll have plenty of notice. But I pity those flying out in the early morning Tuesday as they won’t learn til they get to the airport. Just recd another email from a longtime serious Oregon numismatist/ MD - he’s just  decided not to attend. Due largely due to anticipated flight cancelation.
  • Arrived in Orlando Saturday, great flight, we arrived 10 minutes early.
  • Laura Legend, as far as Hawaii being able to "keep a lid on Covid", Hawaii had 1592 new cases of Covid infections just yesterday, and nearly 3500 new cases a few days ago. This virus has degenerated into an extremely infectious flu, causing mild to no symptoms in most people, especially those who have been vaccinated and received a booster. I seriously doubt that any State in the United States will be able to control the spread of this omicron variant until it has basically run its course.
  • HI had outburst among groups and families (holiday time). Its total lock down out there. You MUST wear a mask EVERYWHERE and carry your vaxx cards. I can not get Covid and I went with no fear. FUN-hell no! I am scared to hell over going. No masks, nothing. 

It will be interesting to see if they penalize the dealers who left empty tables. I'd guess 40% are no shows. We'll know tomorrow!!! 
  • I see Great Collections are requiring people to wear a mask in order to visit their table at the Fun show. If you can't, won't for any reason they will not help you at this particular show.
  • That’s a very reasonable request!
This discussion has been closed.