Q&A with CAC Grading Operations Manager — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Q&A with CAC Grading Operations Manager

edited November 2022 in General
In addition to opening this Q&A thread, I would like to introduce CAC Grading’s operations manager, Matt Manahan, @CAC_Ops . Feel free to ask him your questions pertaining to CAC Grading’s opening. I will leave it up to Matt as to how deep or broad the scope of these questions should be.

Thanks for your continued support and enthusiasm!!
Tagged:

Comments

• Why don't I start you off with a hard one. What are you looking forward to most regarding the opening??
  • CAC_Team said:

Why don't I start you off with a hard one. What are you looking forward to most regarding the opening??

Allowing members of this forum, that are not previous CAC members with direct submission privileges, to also have direct submission privileges. I understand that may need a cut-off date, but maybe anyone prior is grandfathered in.

• Hi Matt. JA mentioned you will be accepting Jefferson Nickels for grading at the new CACG. Do you know when you will start accepting Jefferson Nickels for your CAC sticker service? 
  • Stevie said:

Hi Matt. JA mentioned you will be accepting Jefferson Nickels for grading at the new CACG. Do you know when you will start accepting Jefferson Nickels for your CAC sticker service? 
    I argue that CACG should not start grading post 1950 Jefferson nickels until they feel comfortable doing them and the graders are up to speed with their grading of other series.

By the way, I just looked at my PCGS slabbed war nickels and saw that CAC stickered them.

• oreville said:

Hi Matt. JA mentioned you will be accepting Jefferson Nickels for grading at the new CACG. Do you know when you will start accepting Jefferson Nickels for your CAC sticker service? 
    I argue that CACG should not start grading post 1950 Jefferson nickels until they feel comfortable doing them and the graders are up to speed with their grading of other series. By the way, I just looked at my PCGS slabbed war nickels and saw that CAC stickered them.
    They are doing them now?
  • edited October 2022
    I looked up the current status of grading Jefferson nickels and saw it it was a mixed bag. A little confusing.

CAC listing of Jefferson nickels they grade:

Jefferson
    1938-1942 (PR)
    1939 Dbl Monticello & Five Cents
    1943/2-P
    1949-D/S

Do not see war nickels listed.
  • oreville said:
    I looked up the current status of grading Jefferson nickels and saw it it was a mixed bag. A little confusing. CAC listing of Jefferson nickels they grade: Jefferson 1938-1942 (PR) 1939 Dbl Monticello & Five Cents 1943/2-P 1949-D/S Do not see war nickels listed.
    They always have graded those Jefferson nickels, at least for awhile, nothing new with those certain dates.
  • edited October 2022
    My stickered war nickel is a 1943 P PCGS that must be a 1943/2 which I was not aware of. I have to look at it again.
  • Maybe @oreville got a “favor” from CAC for being such a nice guy? lol
  • Will the current CAC population report for stickers stay separate from CAC grading? Or do you plan to combine them together?
  • SeatedNut said:

Will the current CAC population report for stickers stay separate from CAC grading? Or do you plan to combine them together?

Good question.
  • SeatedNut said:

Will the current CAC population report for stickers stay separate from CAC grading? Or do you plan to combine them together?

I, too, was wondering the same thing. Looking forward to clarification, lord knows we treasure the CAC pop reports.
  • Oreville.  Yes , there will be two separate pop reports. JA 
  • JA- Thats great news and I believe the right move to keep the pop reports separated.
  • Will there eventually be published data on prices for CAC 2.0? If yes, will it be similar to the current CAC price guide or similar to PCGS price guide, or neither?

I guess this raises a host of other questions, such as (1) how will the new guide prices be set, (2) will all auction house data be included, such as Great Collections, and/or smaller outfits, and (3) will links to auctions be available? Seeing actual comps is the only way I can make sense of the vast discrepancies in prices for coins of identical grades, especially at the MS level. I’m happy to wait to see how this all evolves, too.
  • Do you see bulk grading being a significant part of CAC 2.0's operations?
  • JA mentioned in a recent podcast that he is not a fan of bulk grading.
  • HHCoins said:

Do you see bulk grading being a significant part of CAC 2.0's operations?

Simply put, yes - bulk grading will be a part of CAC Grading's operations. Will it be significant? Time will tell.
  • john said:

CAC_Team said:

Why don't I start you off with a hard one. What are you looking forward to most regarding the opening??

Allowing members of this forum, that are not previous CAC members with direct submission privileges, to also have direct submission privileges. I understand that may need a cut-off date, but maybe anyone prior is grandfathered in.
    I feel like an unanswered question orphan. That is how I felt when my parents ignored me. Not that they were not smart in doing so, but still...it leaves a psychological rejection scar.
  • john said:

john said:

CAC_Team said:

I feel like an unanswered question orphan. That is how I felt when my parents ignored me. Not that they were not smart in doing so, but still...it leaves a psychological rejection scar.
    I will cosign this one. I tried to join CAC and even asked to be placed on the "waiting list". I was told that there is no waiting list. Recent interviews seem to imply that there is, in fact, a waiting list. Still hoping in the future that I can join CAC in some way or another.