Percentage of PCGS and NGC Stickered Coins Crossing to CACG — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Percentage of PCGS and NGC Stickered Coins Crossing to CACG

edited November 2022 in Grading
Thought I would start a Poll to see what many here think the comparative percentage values of "stickered" PCGS versus NGC coins will be received by CAC for crossovers. Also wanted to try the Poll application to see how/if it would work.
Percentage of PCGS and NGC Stickered Coins Crossing to CACG
  1. PCGS and NGC18 votes
    1. 10% and 90%
      11.11%
    2. 20% and 80%
      38.89%
    3. 30% and 70%
      27.78%
    4. 40% and 60%
      22.22%
    5. 50% and 50%
        0.00%

Comments

• Not sure I understand the question. Near 100% of stickered coins will cross at grade, regardless of P or N….The + may be different, either way.
  • Yes, we know 100% will cross, but how many people will be sending in their PCGS and NGC stickered coins and what will be the "comparative percentage of each TPG received" by CAC.
  • Is OP only talking about + graded coins? Do we have a firm answer yet on whether plus graded coins cross automatically with the plus? Or will pcgs/ngc cac stickered plus graded coins get credit for a plus in the registry? I asked in the QA thread but didn't see an answer.

Or is the OP talking about crosses in general just meaning the owner decides to prefer the coin in a cac holder over ngc or pcgs? If that's all then it's way way <10% for pcgs. ngc might be a little more, maybe over 10% but it's hard to say. Most coins are not high value low pop coins but yes, among coins that will become high value low pops at cac I would expect them to be crossed.
  • Only talking about "Stickered" coins both with or without +
  • Oh, I see what you mean, out of the set of coins crossed what % of those is pcgs vs ngc.
  • I voted 30/70 assuming that plus coins don't automatically cross at a plus. In that case cac+ would be more valuable than pcgs+ and I'd assume many coins would be tried.
  • most Don’t know about everyone else? I will be crossing 100% of my NGC cac coins to the new service.
  • SeatedNut said:

most Don’t know about everyone else? I will be crossing 100% of my NGC cac coins to the new service.

As I think many will do, which we will call Camp1. Then we have Camp 2, which will be looking to send what they believe are their PCGS A coins hoping for a +. Camp3 will be those who want all their coins in CAC holders no matter what. As already mentioned, the PCGS registry will influence many not to cross. I personally will wait a bit to see how it all pans out as I already crossed the small percentage of NGC coins I had to PCGS and I am in no hurry to move these to CAC even with potential + grades being in the equation. Would be curious to know how many of each TPG CAC coins exist?
  • edited November 2022
    The question “Percentage of PCGS and NGC stickered coins crossing to CACG”? 

The answer 100%, theoretically. All your B and A coins.
  • CAC is wise to notate the prior NGC- or PCGS-CAC certification because it will attract PCGS crossovers. Otherwise, what would be the incentive to cross over PCGS-CAC coins? They average higher APR's than NGC-CAC specimens in my and others' experiences, so the market would assume that any non-notated coin may have been in a less valuable NGC-CAC slab.

If you wish to cross over NGC-CAC pieces to CAC 2.0 slabs that PCGS would not cross over, you might consider cracking out them out and sending them raw to CAC 2.0 to hide the NGC history. If NGC rejects them at their prior NGC-CAC grades, simply email photos to CAC of the coins in their prior NGC-CAC slabs. Yes, the NGC history would then appear on the insert but chances are that CAC will agree with the grade after the initial crack out, so there is no downside in doing this other than minimal fees.

• edited November 2022
    I collect ikes. I have many cac ikes. I might cross some of the pcgs common blue holders where I don't have truview. I won't cross rattlers or fatties. But I have one NGC prong that might go too. Only because I want some first generation cac holder ikes
  • VERTIGO said:

...because I want some first generation cac holder ikes

Send 'em our way!
  • I would expect to cross most of my NGC stickered coins unless prices equalize. Keep in mind that there are a lot of lower value coins and coins in old NGC holders. I plan the keep the latter as is rather than lose the "early holder" premium. Plus they have a certain charm. I'm sure the same is true for early PCGS holders.
  • I am not too sure if I should cross over 
    My NGC coins with a star designation?
  • oldabe said:
    I would expect to cross most of my NGC stickered coins unless prices equalize. Keep in mind that there are a lot of lower value coins and coins in old NGC holders. I plan the keep the latter as is rather than lose the "early holder" premium. Plus they have a certain charm. I'm sure the same is true for early PCGS holders.
    I think ngc coins might become more desirable for crossovers after this. It's best to hold them now to wait and see what happens i think anyway. 
  • I think a much higher percent of NGC coins will be crossed to CAC at first. 20% PCGS vs 80% NGC. Only have one NGC CAC coin to cross to CAC. No plans to cross any PCGS CAC coins unless market dictates more value. Time will tell. Bought a bunch of PCGS Proof 70 DCAM Ikes on a whim that I will try at CAC.
  • No plans to cross anything.
    May change once I see a trend develop.
  • I voted 20/80. Due to the market valuing NGC CAC less than PCGS CAC as a generalization, I believe over time a lot of NGC CAC coins will be sent in for AUTOMATIC crossover to the more reputable (market) CAC holders.

Steve
  • I voted 20/80. Due to the market valuing NGC CAC less than PCGS CAC as a generalization, I believe over time a lot of NGC CAC coins will be sent in for AUTOMATIC crossover to the more reputable (market) CAC holders.

Steve

"Market valuing" NGC with stickers as less desirable than PCGS actualy DE-values the CAC brand.

Sure, I know it happens but I think it's pretty shortsighted.

But.... hey.... it's a HOBBY !!

:D ;)
  • I disagree. Since the market values NGC CAC higher than NGC w/o CAC, the issue is NGC and not CAC. That’s why the CAC brand is not devalued with NGC CAC.

Yes, we DO agree it’s shortsighted, and yes, it’s just a wonderful hobby!