Update On Gold Lincoln. Patience Is Indeed A Virtue — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Update On Gold Lincoln. Patience Is Indeed A Virtue

I am happy to report to you all that I sold the Gold Lincoln for $1650 on EBay to a west coast collector of gold sticker type coins in a fairly short listing time. I felt that the buyer for this coin would be someone who appreciated the rarity of this sticker and needed the coin for a gold type collection. Despite some negative feedback from the previous contentious thread I did stick to the courage of my convictions in my confidence in the coin.

Comments

• Nice! You sold the infamous penny!
  • Congratulations!
  • You sold a $60 coin for $1,750. You won the lottery.
  • CACfan said:
    You sold a $60 coin for $1,750. You won the lottery.
    Thank you you for the kind comments. I think there are certainly more inexpensive Lincoln TPG cents that are not being scrutinized carefully that are out there in auctions and other websites to be found and sent to CAC. That probably pertains to low cost Mercury Dimes, Buffalo nickels in the $30-100 range as well. Look for them.
  • Stevie said:

CACfan said:

Thank you you for the kind comments. I think there are certainly more inexpensive Lincoln TPG cents that are not being scrutinized carefully that are out there in auctions and other websites to be found and sent to CAC. That probably pertains to low cost Mercury Dimes, Buffalo nickels in the $30-100 range as well. Look for them.

I can picture JA grimacing after reading this comment.
  • CACfan said:
    I can picture JA grimacing after reading this comment.
    What do you mean by grimacing?
  • Those aren’t the coins he wants sent in to CAC. CAC wasn’t created for the $50 mercs, buffalos, and wheats. Those types of coins are what has bogged them down and forced them to shutdown multiple times.
  • edited November 2022
    Those aren’t the coins he wants sent in to CAC. CAC wasn’t created for the $50 mercs, buffalos, and wheats. Those types of coins are what has bogged them down and forced them to shutdown multiple times.
    I respectfully disagree. CAC was established to serve the little collector NOT  ONLY the wealthy collectors. The bog down is UNLIMITED BULK $16 Submissions, with no cost for failure for collectors. The gold sticker is still the home run the little guy can catch with a $25-$50 investment. Makes CAC a fun experience for the small collectors with a good eye for quality.
  • What do you think any of these would be worth as a gold CAC? Enough to buy a nicer coin whatever grade that may be? I don't collect stickers! (1/2 serious here, 1/2 just showing off). Actually, considering a 15-d just went from pcgs 65rd green cac to pcgs 67rd, I think it is not too likely cac will give out a gold sticker to any early mint marked Lincoln. Also if I remember correctly Stewart Blay got 100% green cac on his early MS Lincolns but no gold (his 09 vdb proof was a gold sticker).

65rd 09-s (2nd Gen holder)

65rd 12-d (From abt 2005, Bower's and Merena had an original roll graded and this was the only 65rd. Rest were 64rd or lower. I know at least one of those 64rd's is now in a 66rd holder).

65rd 19-d (Picture is from when it was in a rattler holder. Ron Bozarth did try upgrading it in 2006 when pcgs was pretty much not upgrading anything).

64rd 28-s OGH. This is probably the top candidate of the 5.

66rd 54-p I think there are still no CAC 67rds so it'd be interesting if there was a gold 66rd before there even being a 67rd green cac.

• edited November 2022

Those aren’t the coins he wants sent in to CAC. CAC wasn’t created for the $50 mercs, buffalos, and wheats. Those types of coins are what has bogged them down and forced them to shutdown multiple times.

I seem to remember that JA posted submission numbers between dealers and collectors and it was clear that the dealer volume dwarfed the collector numbers. So it wasn’t collectors who bogged them up. Nonetheless, agree with your point that CAC was originally focused on identifying higher value premium coins.
  • Catbert said:

I seem to remember that JA posted submission numbers between dealers and collectors and it was clear that the dealer volume dwarfed the collector numbers. So it wasn’t collectors who bogged them up. Nonetheless, agree with your point that CAC was originally focused on identifying higher value premium coins.
    I never said they were bogged down by collectors. I said they were bogged down by super low volume coins.
  • Nice Stevie. Was the buyers initials G. V. by any chance?
  • Nice Stevie. Was the buyers initials G. V. by any chance?
    No but he is a well to do collector who collects gold coins as well as gold sticker type coins. What do you think the chances are of finding additional inexpensive ms 64-65 Lincoln’s for gold bean upgrade? Thanks for your input.
  • Catbert said:

I never said they were bogged down by collectors. I said they were bogged down by super low volume coins.
    Submitted by dealers then? Seems counterintuitive given fee,insurance,shipping costs for a $50 coin.
  • Catbert said:

Catbert said:

Submitted by dealers then? Seems counterintuitive given fee,insurance,shipping costs for a $50 coin.
    Not if the goal and expectation are gold stickers. Tough to lose even if the rate is sub 10%.
  • There may well be negotiated bulk rates for Morgans, moderns and bullion; however, one would hope that entry-level graders would deal with those, leaving the experienced folks to deal with the trickier stuff.