Strike Characteristics for Particular Dates in a Series - How Will CAC Incorporate This? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Strike Characteristics for Particular Dates in a Series - How Will CAC Incorporate This?

Hello - I have an 1824 O-103 Bust Half PCGS XF over date coin. The surfaces, luster, and marks indicate an AU level coin. However, in discussing this coin with a Bust Nut, he said the following:

"The 1824/2/0, otherwise known as over various, is the most bizarre overdate in the CBH series. The working die was overstruck multiple times and maintenance to remove traces of the wrong numerals seems to have been slipshod.

But whatever the cause and whatever the numerals, one thing is certain: the obverse strike is poor due to the shallow design and excessive lapping. Stars are always large and flat. High points on the obverse wore very quickly. Grading, therefore, can be a little tricky as there is almost always a full grade difference in appearance, front and back."

I'm awaiting for the collector submission to open up to submit for sticker review, but the larger question is how familiar are the graders with nuances in this or other series? Can a grading set incorporate these factors? It would seem it involve written descriptions of the variables.

@JACAC

Comments

• edited November 2022
    Look at the value difference for the 1880-O Morgan in MS64 and MS65, the latter grade always requiring a good strike.

$2,010 versus $21,600 as per CAC's guide.

CAC population 249 versus 11.

CAC's guide is $75,900 for the lone MS66 with none finer. PCGS Price Guide is $200,000 (PCGS pop 3/0).

One veteran dealer brags about sending a nicely struck but slightly baggy MS64 to PCGS 39 times before getting an MS65. He claims to have paid $500 yet sold it for $40,000. Without a CAC sticker, no less.

• CACfan said:

Look at the value difference for the 1880-O Morgan in MS64 and MS65, the latter grade always requiring a good strike.

$75,900 for the lone MS66 with none finer.

One veteran dealer brags about sending a nicely struck but slightly baggy MS64 to PCGS 39 times before getting an MS65. He claims to have paid $500 yet sold it for $40,000. Without a CAC sticker, no less.

I wonder if that would qualify as a "C" coin?
  • jtlee321 said:

CACfan said:

$75,900 for the lone MS66 with none finer.

I wonder if that would qualify as a "C" coin?
    If you mean “C” coin as being over graded or other problems, then yes. If you mean “C” coin as being below average for the assigned grade, then no.
  • I can't speak to bust half's but I can say that JA is familiar with strike characteristics for the seated dollar series.
  • Seatedman said:

I can't speak to bust half's but I can say that JA is familiar with strike characteristics for the seated dollar series.

Not sure about this as he hasn’t recognized known weak strike characteristics of Carson City issues and holds tight on how much Liberty is showing. In the seated half series It has been noted as well with CC mint coins being weakly struck due to to cupped dies. I think PCGS has done a pretty good job on recognizing this.
  • "Not sure about this as he hasn’t recognized known weak strike characteristics of Carson City issues and holds tight on how much Liberty is showing."

I am absolutely certain regarding the seated dollar series.

"In the seated half series It has been noted as well with CC mint coins being weakly struck due to to cupped dies."

I'm curious who's research you are referring too. Dick Osburn and I have discussed the CC seated half's being weakly struck. However, these seated half striking characteristics should not be directly transferred to seated dollars.