Sticker Trek II: The Wrath of John, a meme satire — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Sticker Trek II: The Wrath of John, a meme satire

edited November 2022 in General
This story is meant to be humorous. It represents the story of a coin that I had high hopes for in terms of CAC success. I was disappointed with the results and left with the question of what did they see that I and several others did not? I've heard that John has a good sense of humor and thought he and the rest of the CAC team might get a laugh out of this, at least I hope. I think in the end, this may represent many out there who have sent a particular coin in and ended up with results that they didn't expect. I hope it can bring a smile to some faces and possibly some laughs. So enjoy...

It started at a local show, looking over the bourse for that great pick of a coin. My budget not being very large, I came across a gorgeous coin that appeared to be very undergraded and affordable.

Upon asking the opinions of many others the consensus was...

After getting home I looked at it under my grading lamp and thought...

I liked it so much that I thought it deserved a

So I packaged it up and sent it to the man who can make dreams come true

After several weeks of anxious waiting, the results came in and the opinion was

I was blown away, it was

I must have

After starting the six stages of grief my first emotion was

It made me want to

I felt like I had just

After throwing a fit and finally settling down

I realized it was not the

Even though it did not get a sticker, I still think the coin looks

And I will keep it in my collection

Comments

• Very nicely done! 😉
    Before I saw the coin’s grade, based on my very brief, initial glance, I was thinking 66 or 66+. After seeing the coin’s grade, based on a longer look at the images, I was thinking 66 or 66+.
  • MarkFeld said:

Very nicely done! 😉
    Before I saw the coin’s grade, based on my very brief, initial glance, I was thinking 66 or 66+. After seeing the coin’s grade, based on a longer look at the images, I was thinking 66 or 66+.

Thank you!! I think laughing is something that is really lacking these days. To me there is nothing more uplifting to the spirit than a good laugh.

you might have recognized the coin from a GTG I did over on the CU forum. Many members had guessed between 66 and 67. I thought it was a lock for a gold bean, but I'm sure it has something that JA and crew did not like. I forgot to ask for feedback on coins that did not get a sticker, plus I had sent in quite a few and knew they were very swamped. I may have to resub it sometime and ask for feedback on just this one coin. If I can find out what held it back, I can keep an eye out for the issue later. That's one of the great reasons for submitting to CAC is it's a very inexpensive education in learning to develop a grading eye.
  • edited November 2022
    Rim damage on the reverse between 5 and 6 o'clock?
  • oldHolder said:

It very well could be!! You are the first person who has pointed that out. I didn't see it until you said something. The prong blocks a lot of it, so it's hard to say how bad it truly is. Good eye!!
  • It is possible that he doesn't like the toning (too dark) or the fingerprint in the toning on the obverse at 12 o'clock. Hard to tell on my phone, but there could be more prints at 3-5 on the obverse.

Surf
  • Appreciated. Great post. A solid PLUS!
    :D
  • Perhaps some rub on one of the obverse lower hair curls? 

Hilarious post by the way.  :)
  • The the color looks fine but maybe a little funky. Fingerprint at 12:30 and is that another at about 3:30?

As with grading, stickering is subjective. Could be anything that caused it not to pass and there are plenty of reasonable guesses here.

Good post overall!
  • oldHolder said:
    Yep
  • "This story is meant to be humorous."
    This may be the wrong forum on which to post it due to the strange lack of a sense of humor by its users and wealthy coin collectors/dealers in general. They even got upset when I joked about fried chicken!
  • Very well done :)
  • CACfan said:

"This story is meant to be humorous."
    This may be the wrong forum on which to post it due to the strange lack of a sense of humor by its users and wealthy coin collectors/dealers in general. They even got upset when I joked about fried chicken!

I think you underestimate the sense of humor on this board. I'm sure there are quite a few on here who can relate, that's the root of humor.
  • Very well done :)

Thank you very much, it was a fun project.
  • Haha! This is epic! @jtlee321
  • CAC_Ops said:

Haha! This is epic! @jtlee321

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!
  • edited November 2022
    Very Clever...
  • Coin looks great. Really would like to know why it didn’t sticker.