CACG Registry suggestions — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CACG Registry suggestions

I am an active participant in the everyman registry at PCGS with toned Morgan and Peace dollars. I considered participating in the everyman mint state sets as well, except when it was rolled out, no MS64+ coins were allowed. I wrote several individuals at PCGS and there is no plan to change this for the foreseeable future. It is my sincere hope that coins at the top of the grade be included in such sets. It is counterintuitive not to include "the best of the grade". I am pretty anxious to cross out many toned peace dollars to CACG as I feel they don't have a place in any other registry.

Also, might I suggest that we make registry sets for Redfield Peace Dollars apart from Morgans? No other TPG does this.

Everyman collecting may be considered "novelty" by other TPG's, but I highly suggest that it be taken seriously at CAC. It enriches the coin community and gives people a chance to start sets they may never have considered.

Comments

• From a technology standpoint, I hope/anticipate that like PCGS, we can enter the cert numbers of each of our coins to “register” them, along with data (cost, date and from whom purchased, comments, etc.) and then see a list of “Registry Sets” available, with the percentage of slots that would be filled by our Registered coins if we “created” that set, and then have it auto filled.

For coins with CAC stickers from other TPG’s, have the above function work for BOTH sets of Registries - the Registry for coins with and without CAC stickers, and also the stricter Registry, which limits coins to only those approved with a CAC sticker or CACG.

I’d like for it to have the ability to have coin photos uploaded by us, including True Views. I’m hoping coins graded by CACG will have a very high quality, state of the art photo service that automatically includes photos of each coin graded by CACG.

• I’d like for it to have the ability to have coin photos uploaded by us, including True Views. I’m hoping coins graded by CACG will have a very high quality, state of the art photo service that automatically includes photos of each coin graded by CACG.

Yes, in order to have a successful registry set, it must be photographed well. I hope CAC's imaging will smoke PCGS and NGC. If Justin Lee (the guy who helped with the mock-up) and pretty well-known coin photographer, could do photos for them, it would be phenomenal!

• I believe using pcgs trueview photos would break copyright law. Perhaps it won't be enforced (as posting our trueviews in threads here hasn't been) but if cac's website is monetized and traffic is driven there by registry set views, I'd be prepared for the day that you can't use them.
  • edited November 2022
    I also partake in the NGC Registry, and use MY TrueViews, for which I paid. But I’m not a lawyer, so I can’t say for certain who owns the TrueViews that I’VE paid for!
  • The photographer owns the rights, but likely as an employee of pcgs, the trueview photographer gave up those rights to pcgs as condition of his or her employment. (My mom is a professional photographer).
  • They are by no means your trueviews. Likely the same thing for your wedding photos or senior portrait etc unless you specifically bought the rights from the photographer.
  • PCGS says the following on their website regarding TrueView photos:

What are the Terms of Use and who 'owns' the image of the coin?
    Note that PCGS retains the image rights to the coin and may use the imagery as we see fit. That said, you are free to use the TrueView images however you like. This may include online sales or Set Registry listings, personal photo albums, or the creation of wall art or other décor that feature your coins.

https://www.pcgs.com/trueview

Towards the bottom in the Frequently Asked Questions section.

I suppose that could change in the future, but for now you can use them freely.
  • edited December 2022
    I personally enjoy creating Dansco style albums like we can on the PCGS registry site. Maybe offer additional digital display options like capital holder styles.

I like the old NGC registry's digital spreadsheet ability for keeping track of coins. You can still backdoor access it on their registry site, but not sure it is readily accessible on their new updated (5 years ago) site.

Put protections in place to avoid dealers clogging up registry with their "client collections." NGC's $10 Indian registry is basically unusable because a dealer X1X1X1 has 15 years' worth of "client collections" cluttering (59 0f 100) the top 100.

Encourage people who no longer own their coins to remove them, or retire their sets.

The PCGS "What If" feature is a nice addition.
  • edited December 2022
    split37 said:

I am an active participant in the everyman registry at PCGS with toned Morgan and Peace dollars. I considered participating in the everyman mint state sets as well, except when it was rolled out, no MS64+ coins were allowed. I wrote several individuals at PCGS and there is no plan to change this for the foreseeable future. It is my sincere hope that coins at the top of the grade be included in such sets. It is counterintuitive not to include "the best of the grade". I am pretty anxious to cross out many toned peace dollars to CACG as I feel they don't have a place in any other registry.

Also, might I suggest that we make registry sets for Redfield Peace Dollars apart from Morgans? No other TPG does this.

Everyman collecting may be considered "novelty" by other TPG's, but I highly suggest that it be taken seriously at CAC. It enriches the coin community and gives people a chance to start sets they may never have considered.

As for crossing over PCGS-CAC coins to CAC 2.0, I would wait before crossing over any of the former to the latter. Nobody knows how the market will react. Many may view CAC 2.0 slabs as less valuable than PCGS-CAC holders because the former may merely be NGC-CAC quality (some perceive NGC as less strict than PCGS).

NGC has a brand new photography service that is the best of the best. I am surprised that nobody else has mentioned this on this forum.

• I would have a hall of fame section for any collector who has finished first in a category for 3 different years. These sets can be continued to be improved to move up higher in the hall of fame section. These sets would no longer compete for yearly awards(or have best hall of fame award). Also a collector should only be allowed 1 collection in each category. These rules will prevent a single collector from dominating the registry.
  • gschwenk said:

IAlso a collector should only be allowed 1 collection in each category. These rules will prevent a single collector from dominating the registry.

Another “Agree” button pushed here. To me posting two sets borders on being dis-respectful.
  • Another “Agree” button pushed here. To me posting two sets borders on being dis-respectful.

DL Hansen doesn't like that idea

• Are you trying to rile me up? :)

I called the registry police and they wouldn't pick up the phone.