NGC Said Tonight….(about CACG and the NGC Registry) — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

NGC Said Tonight….(about CACG and the NGC Registry)

edited January 2023 in General
Early this evening I attended the cocktail and hors d’oeuvres get together that NGC was hosting at the Rosen Centre at FUN. Andy Salzberg of NGC gave the presentation, after which there were Q&A’s. I asked if the NGC Registry would be accepting CACG holdered coins, since they allow PCGS holders. He said that while there are some fine points for NGC to work out, the bottom line is YES!

Steve

Comments

• Way to go NGC!

It's refreshing they could put all of the brand loyalty griping to the side and work for the good of collectors.
  • They give an extra point for beaned NGC holders as I recall. I wonder if that extra point Will extend to the CACG as well?
  • While I didn’t ask that, I believe it will. Same concept.
  •  That’s a very good thing for collectors and a great decision by Andy ( Mr. Salzberg ).   Nothing worse when industry leaders inside any type of industry get nit picky or downright hostile towards each other .   I would hope PCGS will follow Mr Salzberg’s lead in this . 
     It’ll be a good day for us collectors and ultimately the registrys’ they rely on . 

Thank you WineSteven 🍷  💰    

* Connoisseur of old bottles of fine wine and old money in fine shape .  😉☺️
  • Vince, you make me laugh! Thanks.

Steve
  • Vince, you make me laugh! Thanks. Steve

You’re a class act my friend .   Happy to put a smile on your face .  

Watching my bids right now .   And next week I have my eyes on 3 nice Saints .  

Hope you’re home safe now . 
  • I am, thanks. Good luck on your bids this week and next.

Steve
  • I wondered about this!! Thank You for the information!!
  • Interesting decision by NGC, and not really unexpected. NGC has mostly been about inclusion while PCGS has always been about exclusion.
  • Coinbuf said:

Interesting decision by NGC, and not really unexpected. NGC has mostly been about inclusion while PCGS has always been about exclusion.

I agree, not surprising, considering the NGC Registry allows coins graded by PCGS.

Steve
  • edited January 2023
    Coinbuf said:
    Interesting decision by NGC, and not really unexpected. NGC has mostly been about inclusion while PCGS has always been about exclusion.
     I wish every one well and good fortune .  There was an exception once .  A mean businessman who treated everyone abusively. That’s the only one I can remember wishing harm .  Now I have a 2nd one , PCGS!    They have purposely gone out of their way to harm or damage the image of other TPGs.     In doing so they have hurt many many collectors .  This is just my opinion based on observations and personal dealings with PCGS . Notably their treatment of crossing over high end saints in NGC holders .  It’s like they’re purposely trying to make them look bad .  Anyone else feel this way ?

Hope CACG ends up making them look the way they made NGC look .  
  • edited January 2023
    My friend Vince, you and I virtually always agree on everything, but with the point you raise, I respectfully disagree.

Here’s an example of a potential explanation for your negative crossover case that just happened to me with Reconsideration.

As many on this forum know, I “play the Reconsideration Game” in the hopes of getting a few coins upgraded with a plus. I have what I feel is a “decent” record (please nobody ask, as I’d prefer to keep that private). At FUN, I had a seven coin Show submission, and two weeks prior, had a five coin Express submission. For the first time ever, I got skunked on two consecutive separate submissions for Reconsideration. Zero, Nada. Nothing.

As I see it, there are two possibilities why you and I received disappointing results. Keep in mind, MY result had nothing to do with punishing another TPG:

1. MAYBE PCGS has recently tightened their standards (or has some new graders that are just tougher). I see in the PCGS stats for the last 30 days, the % of coins getting pluses (which is mainly a function of tons of modern coins getting graded, but still provides an insight) is at 1.17%. Not long ago it used to run around 2%. Crossover success rate is now at 37%. I believe that used to be in the mid 40’s or so.
    2. The coins you and I submitted have to speak for themselves. Maybe these coins just did not merit a plus in my situation, nor merit a cross in yours?

Steve

• edited January 2023
    My friend Vince, you and I virtually always agree on everything, but with the point you raise, I respectfully disagree. Here’s an example of a potential explanation for your negative crossover case that just happened to me with Reconsideration. As many on this forum know, I “play the Reconsideration Game” in the hopes of getting a few coins upgraded with a plus. I have what I feel is a “decent” record (please nobody ask, as I’d prefer to keep that private). At FUN, I had a seven coin Show submission, and two weeks prior, had a five coin Express submission. For the first time ever, I got skunked on two consecutive separate submissions for Reconsideration. Zero, Nada. Nothing. As I see it, there are two possibilities why you and I received disappointing results. Keep in mind, MY result had nothing to do with punishing another TPG: 1. MAYBE PCGS has recently tightened their standards (or has some new graders that are just tougher). I see in the PCGS stats for the last 30 days, the % of coins getting pluses (which is mainly a function of tons of modern coins getting graded, but still provides an insight) is at 1.17%. Not long ago it used to run around 2%. Crossover success rate is now at 37%. I believe that used to be in the mid 40’s or so. 2. The coins you and I submitted have to speak for themselves. Maybe these coins just did not merit a plus in my situation, nor merit a cross in yours? Steve

Good morning Steve 

I always appreciate your input , thoughts and advice , and this is no exception.   I’ll refrain from running around any further spreading my suspicions.  Thankfully I won’t have to pay them no mind come CACG in a few months.  In the past I’ve usually been correct about things I had a gut feeling about.   I really believed there was a lot of politics going on and a quiet culture of PCGS undermining NGC.   However I’ll yield to your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you 

Larry 

• My friend Vince, you and I virtually always agree on everything, but with the point you raise, I respectfully disagree.
    As I see it, there are two possibilities why you and I received disappointing results. Keep in mind, MY result had nothing to do with punishing another TPG:

1. MAYBE PCGS has recently tightened their standards (or has some new graders that are just tougher). I see in the PCGS stats for the last 30 days, the % of coins getting pluses (which is mainly a function of tons of modern coins getting graded, but still provides an insight) is at 1.17%. Not long ago it used to run around 2%. Crossover success rate is now at 37%. I believe that used to be in the mid 40’s or so.
    2. The coins you and I submitted have to speak for themselves. Maybe these coins just did not merit a plus in my situation, nor merit a cross in yours?

Steve

Ditto. This topic and gripes about TPGS could be discussed for several days in a Coin Grading Seminar.

Folks close to the market know that examples of over graded and fewer under graded coins from EVERY TPGS are out there either locked in collections or out in the market. They also know that the services basically grade identically but not exactly the same. The differences exist over many coin types. Now throw in market fluctuations with the tight-to-loose-to- tight swings and we have third-party grading.

Obviously, each service would like to get the "Gem" coins like 1804 dollars into their holders. They also would like to put as many coins into their slab as they can. However, it is human nature to be more critical of another person's coin UNLESS it is obviously "better." So why cross a marginal coin although it is correctly graded? You already made your grading fee for just considering the cross and save your time and plastic. WIN!

You would think that one of the second tier services like ICG would be very happy to cross any NGC or PCGS coin into their holder but that is not the case. We reject our share too. There is also a big difference among TPGS as to what constitutes improperly cleaned or damaged coins.

• Insider3 said:
    My friend Vince, you and I virtually always agree on everything, but with the point you raise, I respectfully disagree. As I see it, there are two possibilities why you and I received disappointing results. Keep in mind, MY result had nothing to do with punishing another TPG: 1. MAYBE PCGS has recently tightened their standards (or has some new graders that are just tougher). I see in the PCGS stats for the last 30 days, the % of coins getting pluses (which is mainly a function of tons of modern coins getting graded, but still provides an insight) is at 1.17%. Not long ago it used to run around 2%. Crossover success rate is now at 37%. I believe that used to be in the mid 40’s or so. 2. The coins you and I submitted have to speak for themselves. Maybe these coins just did not merit a plus in my situation, nor merit a cross in yours? Steve
    Ditto. This topic and gripes about TPGS could be discussed for several days in a Coin Grading Seminar. Folks close to the market know that examples of over graded and fewer under graded coins from EVERY TPGS are out there either locked in collections or out in the market. They also know that the services basically grade identically but not exactly the same. The differences exist over many coin types. Now throw in market fluctuations with the tight-to-loose-to- tight swings and we have third-party grading. Obviously, each service would like to get the "Gem" coins like 1804 dollars into their holders. They also would like to put as many coins into their slab as they can. However, it is human nature to be more critical of another person's coin UNLESS it is obviously "better." So why cross a marginal coin although it is correctly graded? You already made your grading fee for just considering the cross and save your time and plastic. WIN! You would think that one of the second tier services like ICG would be very happy to cross any NGC or PCGS coin into their holder but that is not the case. We reject our share too. There is also a big difference among TPGS as to what constitutes improperly cleaned or damaged coins.

And that right there is the problem.   What you’re  ( the industry ) doing is wrong .  You’re ( the industry ) screwing over the collector .

You ( the industry ) should be happy that we want our coins in your stabs and should honestly access the coin .  If the coin is a 64 and you see it is a 64 then you are obligated ( morally ) to cross it over .  I knew my gut feelings were right .  Steve , I’m going back to my original beliefs .  I retract my former statement. lol 😂 

Im sorry to say but there is some real dishonest lowlife s-bag stuff going on out there .   I knew games were being played .  My gut has never failed me .   Ego should be taken out of the equation.   The coin should be graded and if it’s correct , cross it.  Being more critical because of someone else graded it before is ego .   I was so much happier when I just had bags of raw coins and bullion.

Thank God for CACG or I’d sell all my graded stuff and get back to basics .  I was far happier .   
  • I never found ANYTHING as much fun as my first Dansco type set.

.........in the coin field anyhow... ;)

• Mr. Savage posted:

"And that right there is the problem.   What you’re  ( the industry ) doing is wrong .  You’re ( the industry ) screwing over the collector .

You ( the industry ) should be happy that we want our coins in your stabs and should honestly access the coin .  If the coin is a 64 and you see it is a 64 then you are obligated ( morally ) to cross it over .  I knew my gut feelings were right .  Steve , I’m going back to my original beliefs .  I retract my former statement. lol 😂 

Im sorry to say but there is some real dishonest lowlife s-bag stuff going on out there .   I knew games were being played .  My gut has never failed me .   Ego should be taken out of the equation.   The coin should be graded and if it’s correct , cross it.  Being more critical because of someone else graded it before is ego .   I was so much happier when I just had bags of raw coins and bullion.

Thank God for CACG or I’d sell all my graded stuff and get back to basics .  I was far happier ."   

Tough Love from the Atilla-the-Hun School of Numismatics:

IMHO, you are mistaken. What the TPGS's are doing is saving the sorry butt of the ignorant, lazy, too busy collector from their own greed, counterfeits, and crooks! Personally, I could care less about slabs or what anyone collects aside from myself. A TPGS owes you nothing except the best job they can do INORDER TO PROTECT THEIR REPUTATION AND BUSINESS. A TPGS makes the sole decision about what they will slab including varieties! Some TPGS go far beyond what others do with regard to what they provide for the fee.

Unfortunately, :( you took my "tongue-in-cheek" example (WIN!) for a coin not to cross as a common occurrence for a TPGS to make money.

I'm sure you'll get over it and continue to send your coins to whatever TPGS you chose. These days, that's a very smart decision. :)
  • Pyrite said:
    I never found ANYTHING as much fun as my first Dansco type set. .........in the coin field anyhow... ;)

Oh yes.  I regret selling the 2 full books of Morgan’s ( 1 missing the 95 the other the 95 & 93 s.   Walking Liberty and peace Dollar books too .  2 ea. On those as well .    Everything started for me with those blue ( Whitman ? ) books of Pennys and mail order stamps collections .  Good memories for sure .

Hey guys , if I sounded rough in my last post I was just venting .  Not meant to attack any individuals that are not in that category .

I was just feeling like those doing that to collectors are like the used car guys high giving each other out back in the smoking area because they slam dunked someone’s grandmother.   A total lack of honesty , integrity and character.   But that’s also why CAC is so respected and desired by collectors.   It’s JA and his team’s unwavering honesty , integrity and character !

I’m going all in with CACG !!!  

Ranting over ….. 
  • These were the coins
    that went in the holes
    that went in the Dansco Type set.

Oh, had I only kept them til CAC time. :'(