CAC is making some changes... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC is making some changes...

If I can infer a conclusion from my last few CAC submissions, CAC seems to have wisely decided to no longer allow submitters to leave external stickers on the slabs as they go to the graders.

CAC submission guidelines urge submitters to remove all stickers from slabs prior to submittal to CAC, but they did not seem to enforce this. Stickers with company logos, inventory numbers, etc. could be left ON, potentially influencing the graders.

But my most recent submission came back with all my inventory # stickers removed. BRAVO!

Comments

• JA recently told me that CAC removes all stickers, but due to the respect he has, they do NOT remove Rick Snow’s Eagle Eye Photo Seal, even if that means placing the CAC sticker on the left side.

Steve
  • edited February 2023
    Yes I recall you saying that :)

But it was not being done, at least not in my case, nor in the case of several dealers I have talked with about this.
  • JA recently told me that CAC removes all stickers, but due to the respect he has, they do NOT remove Rick Snow’s Eagle Eye Photo Seal, even if that means placing the CAC sticker on the left side. Steve

Wow that’s really saying something .
  • Yes! I suspect that when JA made that statement to Winesteven he may have simply been conveying his great respect for Snow's eye, rather than actually describing actual CAC Stand Operating Procedure (at that time).

Also, consider that we are really talking about four different "types" of stickers here-
    1] There are the legitimate 'Sticker Company' stickers: QA, Eagle Eye, Wings, etc
    2]The quasi legit to bogus 'Sticker Companys': Tomaska's EVEREST, MacAble, Bright White (or something like that)
    3] The dealer advertising stickers like: Joe Blows Rare Coins
    4] Inventory control stickers

I must say, if I submitted to CAC a coin with an EVEREST sticker and CAC removed it, I'd be pissed, especially so if said slab did not Bean.

Of the 4 classes my opinion is that #3, Dealer identity stickers may have the most potential to influence graders. If the grader opens a box of super looking high end Peace Dollars and 3 Centers, all having "LSRC" dealer stickers, that grader will surely suspect "this is probably Larry Shapiro's".

That being said, I am not even sure if anonymity of submitters from the graders perspective is part of CAC's game plan...
  • My interpretation is that stickers on the back of the slab (like the selling dealer identification) are and will be left alone. Second, I also believe that if a sticker is to be removed from the front label, it would only happen due to CAC wanting to place their sticker in that spot. Hence, if a coin does not sticker by CAC, my sense is the original sticker will remain. Finally, JA was very clear with me - he will not remove an Eagle Eye Photo Seal, and he greatly implied that's the ONLY seal he would not remove.

Steve
  • I'm not sure I like this policy unless it's only for dealer inventory stickers - if CAC is keeping dealer inventory stickers but getting rid of everything else, then I question the need for the policy. If the policy is to remove something that can identify the submitter, fine.

I know that if I had an Everest sticker on a coin that I submitted and CAC removed it, I would be very upset like @Bushmaster.
  • Sight White identifies distraction free white coins.  I don’t collect white coins personally, but I can understand the purpose from a wholesale dealer perspective who deal in that sort of material.  For example, if you have a white MS63 that is all there and white but has a big black toning spot on the reverse which factored into the grade, it would not be verified by SW. 
  • Sight White identifies distraction free white coins.  I don’t collect white coins personally, but I can understand the purpose from a wholesale dealer perspective who deal in that sort of material.  For example, if you have a white MS63 that is all there and white but has a big black toning spot on the reverse which factored into the grade, it would not be verified by SW. 

My dividing line between happy to have a white vs toned coins is coins dated after 1920 but it is a slightly moving date.

•  The PQ sticker to me is so wrong on so many levels .   

The biggest offender out there imho
  • Brings Gus Tiso's old advertisements to mind...

PQ+++++++ on half the coins in inventory hahaha
  • Brings Gus Tiso's old advertisements to mind... PQ+++++++ on half the coins in inventory hahaha
    Do you remember Dave The Collectors Friend from coin world advertising 
  • I don't have any experience with CAC or other stickers that signify a service by another sticker company that someone paid to have applied to a slab if it qualifies. I do have a butt. So I'm going to give my opinion. This opinion counts for nothing because CAC decides what CAC does.

1. If CAC submission rules say they will remove all stickers - then that's too bad for a submitter who wanted one left on the slab, especially if the sticker was removed and the slab was not beaned.

2. There should be no exceptions for any sticker service!

3. To think that any professional grader is going to be influenced by any TPGS label or sticker is something I don't believe. It sounds like an excuse to remove free advertising for other sticker services. As yet I have not met a professional who does not think they are "the best B) there is." Therefore, I think TP stickers should be left on the slabs no matter how unattractive several labels signify its travels.
  • Insider3 said:

3. To think that any professional grader is going to be influenced by any TPGS label or sticker is something I don't believe.

Come on! What kind of cold blooded, bullocks of steel grader is not going to give a coin with a CAC Gold bean the benefit of the doubt?

• Insider3 said:

3. To think that any professional grader is going to be influenced by any TPGS label or sticker is something I don't believe.

Come on! What kind of cold blooded, bullocks of steel grader is not going to give a coin with a CAC Gold bean the benefit of the doubt?

Additionally, how can one say there’s no subliminal effect of seeing a CAC or Photo Seal sticker on a holder?
  • Hmmm, CAC did not remove even one of my MAC, Littleton Select, or similar stickers. Maybe because CAC covers the stickers before doing evaluations? ANY third party sticker adds value in my experience, at least to retail buyers.
  • Insider3 said:

Additionally, how can one say there’s no subliminal effect of seeing a CAC or Photo Seal sticker on a holder?
    Honestly, and I feel I'm certainly in the minority here, I think I'd grade the coin tougher than I would if it was raw. I'd certainly try not to, but I'm almost certain that would be my gut reaction to such an event.

On a similar note and kind of an example of the above, I recently saw a CoinGeek video with a whole bunch of coins he sent in to CAC. In general, I'd say I was running about 75% whether coins would or wouldn't CAC. However, one Mercury dime stuck out in particular. I'd call it a 65 CAC. It turned out to be a 66 Gold CAC. The coin was clean, yes, but a 67? I was shocked. To this day I still see it as a good 65 or an ok 66. The eye appeal wasn't there for a 67.

If I had a CAC membership, the scramble to gather all of my proof Mercs for submission would have been intense.

If I was a grader and that coin came across my desk, all other coins in that submission would probably be subliminally influenced downwards if they had a sticker. Regardless of if that one coin was a mistake by CAC or not, I certainly wouldn't be blindly trusting that opinion any more as far as the grading went.
  • Insider3 said:

Please don't post silly examples just to be able to post something. Personally, I don't care if a slab has a "Platinum Bean," came out of the "God Almighty Collection" and was featured in the CDN. While I'm very, very, very, far from a perfect "Market" grader, I'm going to grade the coin the way I see it. See comment above about Professional B) graders.

Insider3 said:

I don't care what you believe. You just read how much I care about other TPGS and "stickers."
  • CACfan said:

Hmmm, CAC did not remove even one of my MAC, Littleton Select, or similar stickers. Maybe because CAC covers the stickers before doing evaluations? ANY third party sticker adds value in my experience, at least to retail buyers.

AMEN! That is probably true. Some folks want all the input they can get about a purchase. It can be a nuisance but what can it hurt?
  • Here is another little secret. NGC was the only TPGS I worked at where I did not know who the submitter was. If ever there was a chance to play favorites...LOL. But then I would be a crook!