Lowest Price Ever PAID For a CAC Stickered PCGS Mint State Coin? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Lowest Price Ever PAID For a CAC Stickered PCGS Mint State Coin?

edited February 2023 in General
I understand this post can clearly be interpreted as being not in compliance with one of the forum rules, but due the the interesting concept of the post, perhaps it can be allowed. If the moderator feels it is inappropriate, please delete this post.

For my Lincoln Wheat DATE set, the last hole I had to fill was 1957. I wanted a coin graded MS67RD with a CAC sticker, preferably the lower cost 1957-D. This way my set would be 100% CAC stickered in the grades I want. After searching vigorously for over a year, NOTHING showed up in auction that fit the bill. As such, human nature took hold when I saw (and bought) a lovely 1957-D Lincoln graded “only” MS66RD, and no CAC sticker. A VERY inexpensive coin!

So while I waited for an upgrade to the MS67RD grade I wanted, along with a CAC sticker, I figured what the heck. I was sending a few coins to CAC, so I threw in this MS66RD Lincoln with an extra $16. Sure enough, it got stickered!

I got my MS67RD with a CAC sticker upgrade a short time ago, so the lovely but cheap MS66RD 1957-D Lincoln, now with a CAC, is up for auction at Great Collections. I had them start the bidding at only $1, and it is now at $14, lol. My guess is the final price on March 5th will only be around $35 or so. I believe this might potentially end up at a record low price PAID for any problem-free attractive Mint State coin graded by PCGS with a CAC sticker.

Interesting tidbit - I just checked the GC Coin Auction Archive and the PCGS Auction Prices Realized - neither shows ANY 1957-D Lincoln Cent graded MS66RD by PCGS with a CAC sticker as having been auctioned. As such, whatever it sells for will set TWO records for that date and grade - the lowest price ever paid, and the highest price ever paid (according to their records), lol.

Here are GC’s photos for this GC Item ID 1324326:

Comments

• edited February 2023
    In the old days when stickers were $12 or whatever, I sold a common-date rattler merc in 64 no bands that I thought was a shot gold CAC for $30 at eBay auction.
  • OK, this one might go lower? However, there are a LOT more participants on GC today than years ago, and CAC stickered coins are even more in demand now than years ago, so maybe it’ll be a slightly uphill battle for this coin to sell for less than $30? Or maybe not?
  • I wonder if someone ever gave away a PCGS CAC coin for free?
  • FlyingAl said:
    I wonder if someone ever gave away a PCGS CAC coin for free?
    Plenty of times .   I’ve given friends cac coins as gifts on many occasions.     They are well received , trust me ! 
  • edited February 2023
    Hey, that doesn’t count! We’ve all read plenty of times of high value coins given as gifts, typically by a spouse.

I edited my post to capitalize the word “PAID” which was in my post originally!

Steve
  • edited February 2023
    :D I'll bet that this coin sells for over $30, but anything is possible! I put it on my watch list just out of curiosity.
  • FlyingAl said:

Yes.
  • john said:

FlyingAl said:

Yes.
    Yes, as I indicated above, that's a "gift" which is not uncommon. But I'm talking about an amount PAID for a nice Mint State coin in an arms length transaction.
  • john said:

FlyingAl said:

Yes.
    Yes, as I indicated above, that's a "gift" which is not uncommon. But I'm talking about an amount PAID for a nice Mint State coin in an arms length transaction.
    Steve,

I'd be happy to take some of your wonderful PCGS CAC coins off your hands for the absolutely princely sum of one cent.

It'd be one for the record books! :smile: :lol: :sunglasses:
  • In the old days when stickers were $12 or whatever, I sold a common-date rattler merc in 64 no bands that I thought was a shot gold CAC for $30 at eBay auction.

In the beginning of time back in 2008 at Coinfest coin show in Stamford, CT CAC stickered up to 20 slabbed coins for free as a promotion.

Regular price was $10 each for successful stickering and no charge for failures for Collectors members.

• john said:

FlyingAl said:

Yes.
    Yes.
    $13.00
  • Ha!
    You need your own pedigree on those labels. 
  • I saw these two sell recently for $18.50 & $20.50 respectively on eBay.

• Ok, but those are 63 and 64 RB’s, with what looks like a lot of brown. Mine’s a much more eye appealing 66RD, with blazing luster, and fully bright red. But you are indeed correct as per the title of my post.

Thanks.

Steve
  • I see the start of a new registry set here….any ideas on a name?…maybe, High grade Rich man Poor man set?
  • edited February 2023

Ok, but those are 63 and 64 RB’s, with what looks like a lot of brown. Mine’s a much more eye appealing 66RD, with blazing luster, and fully bright red. But you are indeed correct as per the title of my post.

Thanks.

Steve

Hard to tell with the poor photos how brown these 1940’s decade cents are.

In collecting obw cent rolls, the late 1950’s wheat cents are easier to find.

Interesting how touting the lowest price paid or sold for a nice PCGS/CAC classic date mint stare coin is a source of pride for the former/new owner! LOL
  • Basically letting others know they can get a very eye appealing PCGS CAC coin at very low cost, since 1957-D 66RD is a very low cost coin that most people wouldn't pay to send to CAC to get a sticker.
  • Basically letting others know they can get a very eye appealing PCGS CAC coin at very low cost, since 1957-D 66RD is a very low cost coin that most people wouldn't pay to send to CAC to get a sticker.

You make a very good point as indeed I looked at GC and was attracted enough by the looks of your M-66 RD 1957-D cent to throw in a bid.

The PCGS slabbing fee is much higher than the CAC stickering fee to boot.
  • oreville said:

Basically letting others know they can get a very eye appealing PCGS CAC coin at very low cost, since 1957-D 66RD is a very low cost coin that most people wouldn't pay to send to CAC to get a sticker.

You make a very good point as indeed I looked at GC and was attracted enough by the looks of your M-66 RD 1957-D cent to throw in a bid.

The PCGS slabbing fee is much higher than the CAC stickering fee to boot.
    Exactly!