Temporary CAC Buy/Sell Thread Before a Formal Platform Is Established? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Temporary CAC Buy/Sell Thread Before a Formal Platform Is Established?

Rather than wait months or even years for CAC to officially establish a buy/sell section on their website, can CAC allow members to list their buy/sell messages on this or another thread(s)? What could it hurt?

For now, for security purposes, only CAC dealer or collector members should be allowed to post. What do you say, TPTB at CAC?

Comments

• Good job. Exclusionary Business Model...... what could go wrong, since there are no competitors or anything.

Signed: Beavis.
  • Speaking of Beavis and others who are unable to think hypothetically....
  • Hypothetically, if CAC were to let us have our own self policing BST thread, why should non members be excluded? If CAC chose to look the other way, who would be responsible for enforcing that exclusion, and how would it benefit both sellers and buyers? What's wrong with the usual "Caveat Emptor" policy typically used in other forum BST's ?
  • Obviously, membership would be a temporary screening process for listings before the official platform is established. Obviously, any non-member could read the listings and attempt to conduct a transaction, at the discretion of the poster. Without a screening process for those who post ads, the temporary CAC forum ad page could become the CAC forum version of the Wild West site known as Ebay.
  • CACfan said:

Obviously, membership would be a temporary screening process for listings before the official platform is established. Obviously, any non-member could read the listings and attempt to conduct a transaction, at the discretion of the poster. Without a screening process for those who post ads, the temporary CAC forum ad page could become the CAC forum version of the Wild West site known as Ebay.

Right, but the "screening process" would have to be conducted by CAC, so the "informal" BST thread would not be so "informal". Asking CAC for permission to have a BST thread where they look the other way is one thing, but asking them to screen the participating members is another. If there were an informal BST thread, and I posted a coin for sale, are you going to be the one tell me that I need to remove my post? (unfortunately, I am not a member as of yet, though I've had successful transactions with numerous people from this forum and the pcgs forum that would vouch for me if needed)

While I've also eagerly awaited the creation of a CAC BST platform on the forum, I actively participate in a CAC Facebook group that serves as a buying and selling platform, and have had quite a few pleasant transactions with the members there. Out of respect for CAC, I won't post a link here but if anyone is interested you can send me a PM and I can point you in that direction. @CACfan, Im sure you would have no interest in the CAC Facebook group being that your wish is to remain anonymous, in the Facebook group we all know each other by first and last name ;)

• Seriously, there needs to buy a BS board for CAC coins? They are probably by far the most liquid at top dollar of any thing
  • Legend said:

Seriously, there needs to buy a BS board for CAC coins? They are probably by far the most liquid at top dollar of any thing

Agree.
  • I suspect there’s a “need” for a CAC Coin Buy/Sell forum for the ability to buy or sell coins with no fees, other than shipping and PayPal.
  • I suggest a bargain priced CAC stickered coins only for coins under $200 each as most dealers would not want to stock such coins and would not feel threatened.

Thoughts?
  • edited March 2023
    Could even start at $100 or less to limit the liability all around. All buyers and sellers must be CAC collector and/or dealer members.
  • oreville said:
    Could even start at $100 or less to limit the liability all around. All buyers and sellers must be CAC collector and/or dealer members.
    With all due respect @oreville, how many people are sending sub $100 coins for stickering? And again, what is the benefit to buyers and sellers having to be members when that would force CAC to maintain an active role in the BST for vetting? 

Are dealers "threatened" by Ebay, GC, or instagram? It's a free market, and whether theres a BST thread here or not, CAC coins can and will exchange hands without dealers sometimes. The Facebook group I participate in has both collectors and dealers making posts, dealers are not excluded from offering coins there. 

Ultimately, if CAC wanted us to have a BST forum, I just don't see how they could escape liability concerns if they actively manage vetting on the BST and help facilitate transactions. A "Caveat Emptor" policy with a hands off approach seems like the only winning strategy. This forum is not CAC's top priority at the moment, and asking for effective oversight and vetting seems like a tall order if you ask me. 

• oreville said:

With all due respect @oreville, how many people are sending sub $100 coins for stickering? And again, what is the benefit to buyers and sellers having to be members when that would force CAC to maintain an active role in the BST for vetting? 

Are dealers "threatened" by Ebay, GC, or instagram? It's a free market, and whether theres a BST thread here or not, CAC coins can and will exchange hands without dealers sometimes. The Facebook group I participate in has both collectors and dealers making posts, dealers are not excluded from offering coins there. 

Ultimately, if CAC wanted us to have a BST forum, I just don't see how they could escape liability concerns if they actively manage vetting on the BST and help facilitate transactions. A "Caveat Emptor" policy with a hands off approach seems like the only winning strategy. This forum is not CAC's top priority at the moment, and asking for effective oversight and vetting seems like a tall order if you ask me. 

Very well said in my opinion.
  • edited March 2023

oreville said:

I did start out with a $200 limit. LOL. The idea was more of a fun buy and sell thread not a serious life altering buy and sell thread.

I never stated that CAC would have a liability concern but meant only the buyers and sellers.
  • edited March 2023
    DeplorableDan said:
    oreville said:

Well there is the CAC Lincoln that @Winesteven just sold on GC for $36, and there are many other coins that do fall into the sub $100 range. Practically every MS67 or lower Lincoln cent after the mid 30's falls under the $200 level, as do a great many MS63-64 Morgan dollars.

Wouldn't it be funny if low level CAC approved coins see huge demand in the future, somewhat akin to the old holder collecting. I mean you are correct that not too many people would send in sub $100 coins under the current price structure. But once PCGS and NGC started to add CAC to their respective registries a lot of people were submitting coins that may not have made only financial sense to fill out their CAC registry sets. Given the new price structure, and with the stickering business looking like it has a limited window of time, those low value coins might someday be in demand by budget collectors who want to complete a CAC set on the PCGS or NGC registry.

I realize that has little to do with the whole BST idea, but just some food for thought for those who are poo-pooing the whole CAC bean on low value coins.
  • edited March 2023
    oreville said:

oreville said:

>I did start out with a $200 limit. LOL. The idea was more of a fun buy and sell thread not a serious life altering buy and sell thread.

>I never stated that CAC would have a liability concern but meant only the buyers and sellers.

I'll give you that, you did start with $200, though that doesn't change much. At $35 + shipping, how many sub $200 coins are submitted? 😬

The issue is, CAC opens themselves up to liability concerns in they're actively endorsing people to do business on the BST, or enforcing any type of regulations. Its the same reason that the CU forum has a caveat emptor policy, a BST is of no benefit to the hosting party, so they put their hands up and say "You guys are on your own, now play nice 🤷‍♂️". Ive had a quite a few pleasant transactions both there and on Facebook, and neither can be classified as the "Wild West", contrary to what others might believe.

What would be the purpose of limiting transactions to CAC members only, and who is going to enforce it? If you posted a $500 coin on there and I pm'd you and wanted to send you money to buy it, are you going to tell me no because I'm not a member? Alternatively If I wanted to sell a really nice coin, would you all really want me to be excluded? I could always offer my coin on my own with instagram, Ebay, or in private messages. I think restricting either sellers or buyers to be CAC members is unnecessarily futile.

My point is, a BST needs no secondary restrictions that would have to be enforced by an unbiased 3rd party, because I think the last thing we should doing is asking CAC to put more on their plate. It's very simple. Buyer beware, and participate at your own risk. If someone is not comfortable sending a stranger $3000, then they don't have to. Everyone is free to partake in their own due diligence, meaning references, proof pics (pics of a coin with your name and date on a paper), and collecting personal information (Name, address, DL number). Use PayPal G&S for payment if you don't mind the extra fee, and keep detailed records in the event that you may have to take legal action (litigation for mail fraud). Special circumstances might even require the the new seller to ship the coin first, and payment from the more established buyer upon acceptance. There are plenty of ways to mitigate risk.
  • I feel that it may be important to note that the fact that I am not a member, is not by my own choice. I am an ANA member, and I’ve been patiently waiting for the CAC membership door to open up since the end of 2021. My position on CAC membership requirements for the BST might change if it were easier to become a member. 
  • Ah.....BST.
    The home of the truly cheap.
    Dickering, uncertainty, unsanctioned and free, the thrill of chance, the unsupervised wild west.

BRING IT ON !
  • JA is investigating this idea, I'm confident CAC will make an announcement if they decide to add this feature.
  • Were I JA, I would leave this forum as is and phase out along with CAC, or eliminate sooner in favor of a CACG forum (or combine them if corporately feasible). Then, add a BST forum linked to CACG which could be used for CAC and CACG coins, or anything else for that matter. JA has enough to say grace over - I would guess he would skip anything that is scheduled to be phased out.
  • Now..... if the proposed Buy Sell thread only would allow Oregon Trail Commems of any grade to be included, JA would get very excited indeed. LOL.

An inside joke.