Curious — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Curious

Why are there no guess the grades on this forum?

Comments

• I won't take the post down if it's done well, but the main reason is that it sort of pushes the myth that you can grade accurately from a photo. It can be a fun exercise but many end up taking it a little too seriously!
  • CAC_Team said:

I won't take the post down if it's done well, but the main reason is that it sort of pushes the myth that you can grade accurately from a photo. It can be a fun exercise but many end up taking it a little too seriously!

I agree 1 can't grade completely from a photo. I think it helps people to learn to interpret photos better though. I have a good one to post that I might. Should be easy to grade from a photo since it's a nice circulated coin.
  • I find them tedious.
  • I have put a few on the other forum myself and have guessed at a number as well there for fun. But I do agree that some people take them too seriously if they don't get the answers they were hoping for, though. I stopped doing them for the most part a year or so ago. I'd rather just show pretty pictures and look at them and discuss things we've all learned or experienced about this or that on a particular coin/series.
  • I found many of these post’s responses appeared to be more like virtue signaling. Either low guesses to show that they were tougher at grading than the TPG, or people who would secretly go out searching listings and auction sites to see if they could find the exact coin and the pretend to grade it as a guess.
  • Tough crowd. I learn a lot from GTG threads and I believe others, especially novices, do too. Even more so with a series that Im unfamiliar with. Obviously, you cant grade perfectly from a picture but it’s a valuable skill to to be able to interpret images enough to be close. 
  • Tough crowd. I learn a lot from GTG threads and I believe others, especially novices, do too. Even more so with a series that Im unfamiliar with. Obviously, you cant grade perfectly from a picture but it’s a valuable skill to to be able to interpret images enough to be close. 

I agree. GTG threads aren’t as much about guessing the grade “correctly” as they are about obtaining feedback from others. And that feedback can help considerably with coin assessment and grading skills.

Wish I could give you a like! :)
  • I wouldn't mind seeing some GTG threads. I'll close them if (when) they get derailed :)
  • MarkFeld said:

Tough crowd. I learn a lot from GTG threads and I believe others, especially novices, do too. Even more so with a series that Im unfamiliar with. Obviously, you cant grade perfectly from a picture but it’s a valuable skill to to be able to interpret images enough to be close. 

I agree. GTG threads aren’t as much about guessing the grade “correctly” as they are about obtaining feedback from others. And that feedback can help considerably with coin assessment and grading skills.
    I agree with this. Whatever you tell yourself your grade is can be helpful, while the grades offered by others in the thread may or may not be helpful. It can also assist one in learning how photography can alter the look of a coin which cam be applied to phots on eBay etc.
  • MarkFeld said:

Tough crowd. I learn a lot from GTG threads and I believe others, especially novices, do too. Even more so with a series that Im unfamiliar with. Obviously, you cant grade perfectly from a picture but it’s a valuable skill to to be able to interpret images enough to be close. 

I agree with this. Whatever you tell yourself your grade is can be helpful, while the grades offered by others in the thread may or may not be helpful. It can also assist one in learning how photography can alter the look of a coin which cam be applied to phots on eBay etc.
    Maybe I'll start this new venture tomorrow with a coin I was happy to acquire! Hopefully this one was purchased quick enough where it doesn't have a footprint the internet sleuths can find! The coin I was thinking about will have to age for awhile! ;)
  • amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

Maybe I'll start this new venture tomorrow with a coin I was happy to acquire! Hopefully this one was purchased quick enough where it doesn't have a footprint the internet sleuths can find! The coin I was thinking about will have to age for awhile! ;)
    Hopefully, no one is so desperate to be “right” in a grade “guess” that they’d cheat. I’m certainly going to give everyone the strong benefit of the doubt in that regard.
  • MarkFeld said:
    Hopefully, no one is so desperate to be “right” in a grade “guess” that they’d cheat. I’m certainly going to give everyone the strong benefit of the doubt in that regard.
    Unfortunately statistics support that a group on another forum does this. Don’t understand it myself. One thing OP can do in addition to letting coins ‘age’ is to take new photos as opposed to using photos used by auction house or eBay. I found that folks were using google to search based on image. 

• MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

Unfortunately statistics support that a group on another forum does this. Don’t understand it myself. One thing OP can do in addition to letting coins ‘age’ is to take new photos as opposed to using photos used by auction house or eBay. I found that folks were using google to search based on image. 

Perhaps, but is it that big of a deal? There's no prize given away to the end, it's an educational exercise. Just because a few people want to be turds doesn't negate the benefits for everyone else.
  • MarkFeld said:
    Perhaps, but is it that big of a deal? There's no prize given away to the end, it's an educational exercise. Just because a few people want to be turds doesn't negate the benefits for everyone else.
    It is a factor in these threads, and I presented it as part of the discussion. I would always rather know more, than less, about what is motivating someone to provide input.  Others are obviously free to assess things differently. 
  • edited March 2023

MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

I always take my own photos! I have yet to see a picture from something I have purchased that looked closer in hand on my computer than the pictures I take. Keep in mind that depending on how you have your computer set...coins can look different on different computers.

I learned long ago to turn the brightness down on my computer to save my eyes! I believe the default settings are pretty close to max brightness on most computers when they are delivered. I'll never forget the relief from eye fatigue when I figured this out!
  • Cheating on GTGs? That's so pathetic it's hilarious. People cheat on everything these days.