Will the CAC registry be a bust from the start if... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Will the CAC registry be a bust from the start if...

Hansen (or someone similar) crosses all his coins (or quickly fills in non-cac holes) and takes up all the number one spots?

Comments

• Absolutely not! If someone has all or most of the top rated sets why not applaud their accomplishments. Currently this appears to be the case in the popular PCGS registry.
  • Depends on what your goals are and how you define a bust. If winning a tiny little pin or plaque are your only focus and goal, then yes having someone like a Hanson fill all the top spots in a week would likely be a bust in that sense. If, however, your goal is to share your collection with other collectors then it really doesn't matter if one guy has the top five slots.

Don't take my comments in the wrong way, I do understand that it is frustrating for many collectors to think that their set may never get noticed because the top five or ten sets are owned by a single collector. And it is true that a registry dominated by one collector might cause some, perhaps even many collectors, to lose interest in that registry as they know they can never compete with the resources that someone like Mr. Hanson has. I personally do not use the PCGS registry for much of anything other than a digital backup to my inventory spreadsheet. But that has nothing to do with one collector, in all fairness I don't have; nor ever have had; the financial resources to compete with the bum living in a box down the street from PCGS, much less the very well-heeled collectors that have always been part of the PCGS registry.

Considering that Mr. Hanson's dominance has not turned the PCGS registry into a bust, I doubt that such an event on the CAC forum would kill it. It may dissuade some collectors from joining and that is unfortunate collateral damage, but not a bust.
  • I’ve never had a #1 set nor have I ever 100% completed a set in the PCGS registry, but I participate, I enjoy it, and I love the TrueViews. The fact that one or two collectors dominate many categories in the #1 and #2 spots doesn’t bother me in the least. It’s all for fun, and I enjoy participating and sharing with like-minded collectors. 
  • Well, it certainly won't be a bust in an absolute sense. But for many years at the pcgs registry, even if you were not a contender for #1, we had multiple heroes/experts in each particular series to lookup to and watch and perhaps even some races to follow (Blay vs Glasser, Manofcoins vs Wondercoin, OnlyRoosies, Richard Green, Sego, DRG etc). It all seemed so exciting. We may not have that this time.
  • edited March 2023
    We cannot compete with D.L. Hansen, but I welcome him! I believe he’s a very positive asset for our wonderful hobby!

Over 90% of my sets are ranked 12 and higher, and the majority of those are ranked #6 and higher, but I have no desire to compete with D.L. Hansen or anyone else. I decide how much I’m comfortable spending on a particular slot, and wherever that lands me in the rankings is perfectly fine. I won’t buy an upgrade for the main purpose of rising in the rankings!

For example, my 50 Coin Classic Silver Commem Type Set is ranked #12. Over 20 of those coins are valued at less than $1,000. I can spend more on upgrades to rise in the rankings, but I choose not to. I’m happy right now with the coins as they are in that set.

Take pleasure in your coins and sets. That’s what our hobby is all about!

Steve
  • I think the registry is a place for everyone to display the sets they've made.

It's a place to create a set the way you want - think of Steve's Eagle Eye and CAC Indian cents set. It's probably not #1, but it's one of those sets I'll never forget.
  • edited March 2023
    FlyingAl said:

I think the registry is a place for everyone to display the sets they've made.

It's a place to create a set the way you want - think of Steve's 100% Eagle Eye and CAC Indian cents set. It's probably not #1, but it's one of those sets I'll never forget.

Thanks for your kind words. It’s Current #6.

The late Stewart Blay is #1, with my friend Doug Wright right behind him by .02 at #2, followed by Hansen at #3.

I have a close friend with a phenomenal set that’s not yet registered. I’m encouraging him to do so, even though that will push me down to #7, as he’ll be the new #4 or #5.

Steve
  • edited March 2023

I’ve never had a #1 set nor have I ever 100% completed a set in the PCGS registry, but I participate, I enjoy it, and I love the TrueViews. The fact that one or two collectors dominate many categories in the #1 and #2 spots doesn’t bother me in the least. It’s all for fun, and I enjoy participating and sharing with like-minded collectors. 

And he has absolutely the most GORGEOUS Proof Gold coins I’ve ever seen, by far! PCGS even used photos of two of his coins for two months of their 2023 Calendar!
  • Thank you Winesteven- very kind of you! 
  • Perhaps if they limited a person to having only one set in each registry entry? I have seen Hansen have Set #1 and Set #2 and maybe even a Set #3 before.
  • My comments are fully warranted! Many of us share your pleasure from your beauties!

Steve
  • TurtleCat said:

Perhaps if they limited a person to having only one set in each registry entry? I have seen Hansen have Set #1 and Set #2 and maybe even a Set #3 before.

Good suggestion!
  • edited March 2023

TurtleCat said:

Perhaps if they limited a person to having only one set in each registry entry? I have seen Hansen have Set #1 and Set #2 and maybe even a Set #3 before.

Good suggestion!
    I can certainly understand why some set owners would prefer that. However, to impose such a limit would be ignoring or hiding reality and I don't think thats a good thing.
  • Truth in editing:

Change "underrated" to "understand" (because collectors will throw tomatoes).

As discussed many many years ago, words mean something, sometimes.

Besides, I have never known you to underrate anyone.
  • MarkFeld said:

TurtleCat said:

Good suggestion!
    I can certainly understand why some set owners would prefer that. However, to impose such a limit would be ignoring or hiding reality and I don't think that's a good thing.
    While I agree the reality is a collector may have put together three separate sets of a particular single Registry Set, that person still has a choice of whether to list just the top set, or all three. Some collectors deem it a bit "selfish" for one collector to "take up" more than one of the top slots in a set. I agree PCGS Set Registry has no restriction. That doesn't mean CACG has to agree.

Steve
  • I have to agree with Mark. Although it sounds like a good idea, it would ignore the reality that those coins exist.

Winesteven and FloridaFacelifter summed up my thoughts perfectly.

"We cannot compete with D.L. Hansen, but I welcome him! I believe he’s a very positive asset for our wonderful hobby!"

"I participate, I enjoy it, and I love the TrueViews. The fact that one or two collectors dominate many categories in the #1 and #2 spots doesn’t bother me in the least. It’s all for fun, I enjoy participating and sharing with like-minded collectors."

"Take pleasure in your coins and sets. That’s what our hobby is all about!"

• OK, I hear you.
  • john said:

Truth in editing:

Change "underrated" to "understand" (because collectors will throw tomatoes).

As discussed many many years ago, words mean something, sometimes.

Besides, I have never known you to underrate anyone.

Thank you John - I have corrected my auto-correct mistake, which I'd failed to notice.
  • YW. 1L.
    Never stop editing......