DO YOU THINK MAJOR SHOWS ARE DYING? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

DO YOU THINK MAJOR SHOWS ARE DYING?

It was unprecedented that EVERY MAJOR buyer I know of did NOT attend the Baltimore show. Also, there seems to be a new thing, East Coast dealers do not attend Long Beach anymore and the West Coast guys don't hit Baltimore. I have suggested forever these two shows cut down to 2 a year.

I think security and costs are the main reasons these shows will fade into oblivion. Also, I never liked the fact the auctions moved to a week after (although there is something to be said for that). Add in a lack of interesting coins to display, these seem to be fewer dealers attending and even fewer collectors.

Will the public fadeaway too? Buying online is just too easy right?

I am only discussing the MAJOR shows.

Comments

• To clarify, every major buyer who is a dealer did not attend. I think dealers have changed their work patterns.
  • For better and/or worse, I think that we’re seeing a lot more sight-unseen buying, which increased dramatically at the onset of COVID and has continued since then. Adding to that, many dealer websites now offer better images and inventory updating. And more collectors are doing business amongst each other through various on-line options.

If buyers and sellers can save time and money, as well as the hassle of travel and still conduct mutually satisfactory transactions, shows will continue to decline.
  • Mark made some excellent points. I also believe that Baltimore, particularly, may just not be that attractive of a show for several reasons. Laura, I believe you were under the weather for Winter FUN but that was the first MAJOR show I attended, and I was very impressed by the turnout. There were many west coast dealers in attendance.
  • In addition, several dealers expressed their concern with urban area's that have high crime rates and restrict personal protection rights.
  • Seatedman said:

In addition, several dealers expressed their concern with urban area's that have high crime rates and restrict personal protection rights.

Exactly. Those are some of the "several reasons" I speak of.
  • Covid ruined me as far as staying on the show circuit. I cut down to 3 shows a year. I still go to a few others for set up to buy though. It's so enjoyable not to have to baby sit my inventory! I R so happy not to be doing that grueling drive to Baltimore 3 times a year. On top of that the costs to do shows just continues to go up.

• I guess the sky is falling again.
  • FUN and ANA are the two top shows for sure. But when the biggest dealers do not attend a major show-that says something. Sadly Long Beach is more baseball card oriented and Baltimore people are afraid of the crime.

I think the mindset is changed to buying on line. I do to sell to a ton of collectors any more at LB or Baltimore. Only FUN and ANA are profitable (and PCGS Invites)
  • Legend said:

FUN and ANA are the two top shows for sure. But when the biggest dealers do not attend a major show-that says something. Sadly Long Beach is more baseball card oriented and Baltimore people are afraid of the crime.

I think the mindset is changed to buying on line. I do to sell to a ton of collectors any more at LB or Baltimore. Only FUN and ANA are profitable (and PCGS Invites)

I think the change away from major auctions being held during major shows accelerated the show decline. Many options to see the auction coins in hand prior to or following the shows.
  • There is a two way debate on auctions at shows. Me personally-I like them and will continue to hold them at shows. Collectors seemed to like them. Dealers had problems. They could not get all their work done and then sit in an auction for hours at night. I guess there is a bigger overall audience too at night away from the show.

I do know several collectors who quit going to shows because there was no auction. I dunno....
  • As dealers age out there just isn’t enough younger dealers to take their place at coin shows. The younger dealers do more buying and selling through social media so it’s just a matter of time before the coin show becomes less commonplace. I love the coin show scene and manage a local club show in CA annually; however, I now find much more choice coins outside of coin shows.
  • Not true. There is a whole crop of baby dealers you don't know about. They don't set up at shows. They get instant satisfaction playing the upgrade game (or they did). But thank god-they exist!
  • edited March 2023
    Legend said:

Not true. There is a whole crop of baby dealers you don't know about. They don't set up at shows. They get instant satisfaction playing the upgrade game (or they did). But thank god-they exist!

Then you agree with LarryC in entirety. Maybe you misread (Or read to quickly) his point).
  • LarryC said:

I now find much more choice coins outside of coin shows.

And THAT, I believe, is the crux of the biscuit...

• I think the younger coin collectors are missing out on the biggest benefits of attending multiple major coin shows. That is studying numerous coins to learn who has nice coins for the assigned grade and also to learn proper grading standards.

Buying only through photographs is no substitute for buying in person although getting CAC approved coins does help narrow the difference.
  • Well said Orville. In addition, they're missing the social interaction, meeting fellow numismatists, sharing information, and forming new friendships.
  • Legend said:

It was unprecedented that EVERY MAJOR buyer I know of did NOT attend the Baltimore show. Also, there seems to be a new thing, East Coast dealers do not attend Long Beach anymore and the West Coast guys don't hit Baltimore. I have suggested forever these two shows cut down to 2 a year.

I think security and costs are the main reasons these shows will fade into oblivion. Also, I never liked the fact the auctions moved to a week after (although there is something to be said for that). Add in a lack of interesting coins to display, these seem to be fewer dealers attending and even fewer collectors.

Will the public fadeaway too? Buying online is just too easy right?

I am only discussing the MAJOR shows.

Yes but local shows will always be a thang.
  • oreville said:

I think the younger coin collectors are missing out on the biggest benefits of attending multiple major coin shows. That is studying numerous coins to learn who has nice coins for the assigned grade and also to learn proper grading standards.

Buying only through photographs is no substitute for buying in person although getting CAC approved coins does help narrow the difference.

Seatedman said:

Well said Orville. In addition, they're missing the social interaction, meeting fellow numismatists, sharing information, and forming new friendships.

I AM a younger collector, and I 100% agree. Though I find most of the coins I buy on the internet, the process can be, well, sterile. I love going to shows, for all of the reasons you both have mentioned.
  • Seatedman said:

Well said Orville. In addition, they're missing the social interaction, meeting fellow numismatists, sharing information, and forming new friendships.

Again, need a agree button!

• What Orville said is true-however in MY opinion, Baltimore and LB are not healthy shows. I could see them going away in a few years. Again, this Baltimore at least 6 MAJOR dealers buyers stayed away. Unheard of. Did the pandemic really transform the way we buy coins?