[Guess the Grade] 1895-O Barber Dime (Grade Posted) — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

[Guess the Grade] 1895-O Barber Dime (Grade Posted)

edited March 2023 in Grading
The truview is too dark with the color enhanced. My pictures are about right but don't capture the suttle hues of color and luster.

Tagged:

Comments

• MS63. Perhaps 64 if luster is better than appears.
  • Based just on your pictures, I might have guessed as low as in the AU55-58 range. But with the addition of the TrueView images, I’ll guess MS63. And that’s even though their obverse image appears to show some scratches on the face and lower neck area that aren’t apparent in your picture.
  • MarkFeld said:

Based just on your pictures, I might have guessed as low as in the AU55-58 range. But with the addition of the TrueView images, I’ll guess MS63. And that’s even though their obverse image appears to show some scratches on the face and lower neck area that aren’t apparent in your picture.

You should grade the coin by my pictures, not the TrueView. The only way I can fathom this coin could be pictured like this is with a black light! Remember the old blacklight posters that would come alive when you darkened the room and turned the blacklight on?

While my pictures are not spot on...if I sold this coin using the TrueView it would most likely be returned....if by my pictures I would have a happy customer!
  • edited March 2023
    amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

Based just on your pictures, I might have guessed as low as in the AU55-58 range. But with the addition of the TrueView images, I’ll guess MS63. And that’s even though their obverse image appears to show some scratches on the face and lower neck area that aren’t apparent in your picture.

You should grade the coin by my pictures, not the TrueView. The only way I can fathom this coin could be pictured like this is with a black light! Remember the old blacklight posters that would come alive when you darkened the room and turned the blacklight on?

While my pictures are not spot on...if I sold this coin using the TrueView it would most likely be returned....if by my pictures I would have a happy customer!
    I’m not going to change my guess, based on assistance received after I made it. But thank you for the opportunity.

After all, “guess the grade” is typically an exercise in guessing the grade, based on the pictures provided, not on helpful hints.
  • This is a tough one, and i'm not that familiar with the series. I guess I'll take safe low risk option with minimal exposure of being severely wrong :D

AU58
  • MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

I’m not going to change my guess, based on assistance received after I made it. But thank you for the opportunity.

After all, “guess the grade” is typically an exercise in guessing the grade, based on the pictures provided, not on helpful hints.
    It wasn't a hint! I said as much in my original post. Now here's a hint....I don't see how a picture could be taken of this coin to make it look like the TrueView! In hand it's a light golden grey with just a hint of color.
  • If posted in actual size, and a photo enhanced via 5X, would that not be a true test, instead of something blown up 4-5X?
    That is the main reason that, while I enjoy reading GTG threads, and delight in the comments, when the photo is enlarged and exaggerated to such a degree, to me it is the equal of an open angle glaucoma vs. XRAY vision exam.
  • amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

It wasn't a hint! I said as much in my original post. Now here's a hint....I don't see how a picture could be taken of this coin to make it look like the TrueView! In hand it's a light golden grey with just a hint of color.
    Then why even show the TrueView?
  • I don't think either picture is good enough to grade from if the TrueView was not accurate. I have noticed TrueViews have rapidly gone downhill recently. The exposure and angles of the photos are all wrong, giving a "flat" look to the images.

So, I'll take a wild guess at AU Details Scratched.
  • 58-D
    D for dirty
  • I'll guess 58+
  • AU-58+ or AU Details Scratched.
  • I think this is a case of a silent net grade for the obverse scratches.   Rather than a details grade it was downgraded from AU58 to AU55.
  • This is not a Details coin. Probably MS63 although the reverse grades higher.
  • MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

Because one of the biggest benefits of a GTG is learning how to interpret pictures. It's also interesting how different a coin can be made to look through different photo techniques.
  • amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

Because one of the biggest benefits of a GTG is learning how to interpret pictures. It's also interesting how different a coin can be made to look through different photo techniques.
    Maybe the rare coin industry should develop one standard for photographing all coins. Tell me what camera to buy, what the settings should be, and what lighting to use. The status quo often makes gorgeous coins look dull and vice versa.
  • edited March 2023
    I just really took a hard look at what are supposed scratches on Mrs. Liberty. The only real scratch with any depth is the one below the ear and the small hit to the right of it. All those showing in the TrueView appear to be just light breaks or rub of the skin of the coin. They are not easy to see and do not get into the surface of the coin. I absolutely don't think there is any net grading going on for scratches and believe it's graded spot on.

Now here's the important question pertaining to this forum. Do you think it is or will CAC at your assigned grade?
  • I agree that learning to interpret pictures can be very helpful. A good example is the two sets of pictures usually provided by the major auction companies.

I think we all agree that whenever possible in hand inspection is the most accurate way to grade.
  • CACfan said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

amwldcoin said:

MarkFeld said:

Maybe the rare coin industry should develop one standard for photographing all coins. Tell me what camera to buy, what the settings should be, and what lighting to use. The status quo often makes gorgeous coins look dull and vice versa.
    The 1st thing would be all coins would have to photographed in the exact same enclosure.
  • amwldcoin said:

I just really took a hard look at what are supposed scratches on Mrs. Liberty. The only real scratch with any depth is the one below the ear and the small hit to the right of it. All those showing in the TrueView appear to be just light breaks or rub of the skin of the coin. They are not easy to see and do not get into the surface of the coin. I absolutely don't think there is any net grading going on for scratches and believe it's graded spot on.

No here's the important question pertaining to this forum. Do you think it is or will CAC at your assigned grade?

CAC would probably not approve this coin due to the obverse scratches as noted by Mark Feld, ex-NGC grader. CAC hates scratches in my experience although they are more lenient with gold coins, probably because it is a soft metal.