If Given a Choice, Would you Take a CAC Gold or a PCGS 66? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

If Given a Choice, Would you Take a CAC Gold or a PCGS 66?

Assuming you agreed this one had a very good shot at either, which would you take?

Comments

• For a Saint? Gold CAC for sure.
  • 100% gold CAC, not even a question. Especially in that holder. There’s only 16 saints of all years that have a gold sticker as a 65, and the coin would sell for moon money in comparison to a P66.
  • I would even take a green 65 CAC over a 66. 

Very presumptuous of you to think Gold sticker in general, however I must say you’re 27 looks fabulous. Keep it in the holder and see what sticker you get. 65 Gold sticker Saints are extremely rare but this 27 looks better than a handful of 67’s I have seen.
  • edited May 2023
    Hands down no brainer for me, keep the old slab and gold sticker. And this isn't even one of the ore valuable old fattie holders. Great coin but having said that I'm not seeing this coin as a slam dunk gold sticker.
  • Guys here is I am thinking.  I think there is something not right about this coin and the reason it is a 65 is that it was given the grade because of its blazing appeal.   Without it in hand it’s hard to really know.  I think that if Warren Mills, Bill Westzler or JA took a look at it they wouldn’t agree with the grade on the coin .  I also guarantee that  coin has been sent to cac at least once if not more .  Unless it was buried in an old man’s collection since it was graded .    You’re either wondering if I’m on drugs or wondering why Im thinking like this .   Well the coin is obviously a blazer with great fields and clean rays etc ,but something don’t  doesn’t add up on the lower portion of the coin .  Looks like a weak strike or something .  Look at her left foot ( our right ) and the leaves along the edge of the lower obverse .   What do you see ?  

I don’t think it’ll get a green bean never mind a gold bean .   Like ChrisAtkins above I’d take a coin in 65 with green bean over a 66 non cac approved coin .   
  • Just checked the Green and Gold populations for this coin. As I said it’s “Extremely rare” like 1,828 to 1. That doesn’t include the vast majority that didn’t sticker. Still the coin stands on its own merit. Can you provide a picture of the Reverse?
  • edited May 2023

Guys here is I am thinking.  I think there is something not right about this coin and the reason it is a 65 is that it was given the grade because of its blazing appeal.   Without it in hand it’s hard to really know.  I think that if Warren Mills, Bill Westzler or JA took a look at it they wouldn’t agree with the grade on the coin .  I also guarantee that  coin has been sent to cac at least once if not more .  Unless it was buried in an old man’s collection since it was graded .    You’re either wondering if I’m on drugs or wondering why Im thinking like this .   Well the coin is obviously a blazer with great fields and clean rays etc ,but something don’t  doesn’t add up on the lower portion of the coin .  Looks like a weak strike or something .  Look at her left foot ( our right ) and the leaves along the edge of the lower obverse .   What do you see ?  

I don’t think it’ll get a green bean never mind a gold bean .   Like ChrisAtkins above I’d take a coin in 65 with green bean over a 66 non cac approved coin .   
    While I haven’t yet seen the coin’s reverse, (and the obverse doesn’t look MS66 to me) I disagree that something about it doesn’t “add up”.
    And unless you know the submission history of the coin, your guarantee that it’s been sent to CAC at least once comes across as rather far-fetched. Curiously, how are you backing up your guarantee?😉
  • Terrific luster, great color and desirable holder. This would go to CAC and if it came back as a gold CAC sticker then no way, no how would it go anywhere else.
  • I have never seen a gold stickered MS-66 or MS-65 Saint.
  • Dragon said:
    Assuming you agreed this one had a very good shot at either, which would you take?
    Is that coin yours? And if it is are you submitting it to CAC?
  • Gold CAC hands down > PCGS grade upgrade in new holder. Keep it in the old No Line Fatty no matter what, in my opinion. Not sure if this would get a gold bean (the gold experts in the thread have made a good case why), but if it's yours, you should submit it -- if you're positive it has never been submitted before.
  • edited May 2023
    green sticker based on the obverse only. Possibly a plus grade.
  • oreville said:
    green sticker based on the obverse only. Possibly a plus grade.
    Oreville have you heard anything else from JA about your Plus  sticker idea?
  • JA respoinded that he was intrigued by my idea and would investigate it. He did like the idea but that does not mean he will adopt the idea as he has to run it past the other staff.

• I have never received a gold sticker for a coin. I have received quite a few green stickers. I am just curious what does the cac gold insert look like? Can someone post a picture? I would appreciate it. I  have been meaning to ask for quite awhile. Sometimes I send my green insert cac card back to them when I send them another submission. One of these days I may be surprised with a gold? 

• <<< Is that coin yours? And if it is are you submitting it to CAC? >>>

Yes it's mine, and yes I'd like to at some point.
  • I think the wording ".....is not connected.....with any other coin grading service...." may have to be modified now.
  • WilliamJ said:

I have never received a gold sticker for a coin. I have received quite a few green stickers. I am just curious what does the cac gold insert look like? Can someone post a picture? I would appreciate it. I  have been meaning to ask for quite awhile. Sometimes I send my green insert cac card back to them when I send them another submission. One of these days I may be surprised with a gold? 

Sorry @WilliamJ I never saw this post and hate to leave a question unanswered:

There is no different mailing insert when a gold sticker is included -- the only difference is the mini-card that is attached to the coin itself, which looks like the following:

• edited July 2023
    Thank you Noahlh. I have been wondering what the insert or card, looked like. Doubt that I will ever get one but I will keep trying. 
  • WilliamJ said:

Thank you Noahlh. I have been wondering what the insert or card, looked like. Doubt that I will ever get one but I will keep trying. 

Keep the faith! I got my first gold only last month after almost 2 years of various attempts :)