New idea——Should CACG offer a plus sticker on Vintage PCGS and NGC holders? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

New idea——Should CACG offer a plus sticker on Vintage PCGS and NGC holders?

edited May 2023 in Grading
Even if CACG charges the exact same fee for stickering a plus sticker as encapsulating a prior Vintage PCGS and NGC holder into a new CACG, I would jump at the chance to do it.

I wonder if CACG would want to consider expanding this idea to all PCGS and NGC slabs as I think it would be a huge money maker for CAC and possibly benefit the marketplace as well.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• edited May 2023
    Extremely important to show the marketplace that red copper coins have not been handled or moved from an old holder to a new holder to demonstrate that the coin is stable in the old holder.
  • Furthermore, CACG reduces its liability handling and slabbing costs by considering this idea. A win-win for both CACG and the collector.

I need to clarify that this would be fabulous to expand this to plus graded PCGS holders.
  • edited May 2023
    I think it’s a fantastic idea. With PCGS you lose the old holder when you go for the plus designation. I think a CACG Plus sticker would be beneficial as you could keep your valuable older holder but still upgrade to plus. Perhaps the CAC old sticker service could also provide the service as well.
     I think you should contact JA and propose this great 😊 idea 
  • I’ll jump on that bandwagon!

That CACG Plus Sticker can be applied to coins in whole grades in PCGS and NGC holders that CACG determines are defect free (those already with the green CAC sticker) AND are “A” coins that CACG determines merit a Plus grade.

That CACG Plus Sticker can also be applied to coins currently with a plus grade if CACG agrees that coin in their opinion really is an “A” coin that merits the plus grade on that PCGS or NGC holder.

Steve
  • edited May 2023
    I think CAC should forget about starting a new grading company and (pun intended) stick to just stickering coins. But they should add a couple of dozen new/different sticker options. >:)
  • edited May 2023
    There needs to be a strict limit in what PCGS and NGC holdered coins qualify for the double stickering from CAC as to not weaken the value of the previously stickered PCGS and/or NGC holders and/or weaken the market value of the new CACG holder.
  • edited May 2023
    MarkFeld said:

I think CAC should forget about starting a new grading company and (pun intended) stick to just stickering coins. But they should add a couple of dozen new/different sticker options. >:)

Ha! But your actual unspoken point is correct, lol.

Steve
  • MarkFeld said:

Agreed that this must be navigated very VERY carefully which is your unspoken point.

• oreville said:

MarkFeld said:

Agreed that this must be navigated very VERY carefully which is your unspoken point.

No, my (formerly) unspoken point was that doing anything else with stickers shouldn’t be navigated at all.

CAC is starting a grading company, with the intent to phase out stickering. Adding new stickers would be contrary to that end and take time and resources away from the new grading company.
  • I think strictly for the Plus Coins only
  • MarkFeld said:

oreville said:

MarkFeld said:

No, my (formerly) unspoken point was that doing anything else with stickers shouldn’t be navigated at all.

CAC is starting a grading company, with the intent to phase out stickering. Adding new stickers would be contrary to that end and take time and resources away from the new grading company.
    Not looking to defeat the new grading company but owners of true vintage holders and even possibly some plus graded PCGS coins will resist crossing their prized coins to CACG?

This will capture an even larger market until the marketplace totally falls in love with the new CACG holder at which point crossing the plus PCGS/CAC plus holdered coins becomes market positive.
  • oreville said:
    No, my (formerly) unspoken point was that doing anything else with stickers shouldn’t be navigated at all. CAC is starting a grading company, with the intent to phase out stickering. Adding new stickers would be contrary to that end and take time and resources away from the new grading company.
    Not looking to defeat the new grading company but owners of true vintage holders and even possibly some plus graded PCGS coins will resist crossing their prized coins to CACG? This will capture an even larger market until the marketplace totally falls in love with the new CACG holder at which point crossing the plus PCGS/CAC plus holdered coins becomes market positive.
    I just think there is big demand from collectors to keep their favorite older holders (Before 2011 when PCGS started the Plus system) and be able to achieve a plus grade). 
  • I will call JA on this idea and see what he thinks.
  • The idea of an old holder possibly receiving a + or an upgrade is to me a big attraction making it more valuable. Once I knew it didn't + then I would be more tempted to reholder for fresh plastic and a true view. 
       The end result could lead to fewer old holders existing?
  • WilliamJ said:
    The idea of an old holder possibly receiving a + or an upgrade is to me a big attraction making it more valuable. Once I knew it didn't + then I would be more tempted to reholder for fresh plastic and a true view. 
       The end result could lead to fewer old holders existing?
    I doubt it. People collect these for as much as the holders as the coins.
  • Simple answer, no.
  • I pitched this “+” idea to PCGS awhile back and they shot the idea down. I think this is an excellent idea! Just replace the CAC sticker with one imbedded with a “+” symbol in it if it’s a “A” coin. I would send my 50 or so OGH coins in. This could help fund the CACG!
  • Sorry, I forgot to call JA Friday.
  • Called JA today. He was intrigued by the idea and is considering the idea.
  • oreville said:
    Called JA today. He was intrigued by the idea and is considering the idea.
    That’s great…this would align with their CACG service for as long as they continue the sticker service which could be up to 10 more years. Next time I talk with him I will bring it up.