Will there be CACG imaging? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Will there be CACG imaging?

I apologize if this question was already answered in another thread but does anyone know if CACG will be offering imaging along with the coins they grade?

Dave

Comments

• edited May 2023
    CACG will be guaranteeing imaging with every coin graded! I am not sure if this will be operational on opening, but it is something that will be part of our service.
  • Thank you for letting us know!
  • @CAC_Ops is probably better equipped to field this question so I will yield to him on this!
  • Sample photos would be great to see!
  • CAC's photos cannot be any less realistic than PCGS's, which seem to be taken using special lighting not used by coin dealers. What am I missing?
  • There seems to be a significant variation in the quality of PCGS Trueview images. I believe these dramatic differences can be attributed to which photographer shot the images.

My hope is that JA will be successful in hiring a talented photographer. One who attempts to capture the actual look of coins rather than glamor images that enhance the toning at a particular lighting angle.
  • CACfan said:

CAC's photos cannot be any less realistic than PCGS's, which seem to be taken using special lighting not used by coin dealers. What am I missing?

I don't believe PCGS uses any special lighting. They simply have a very skilled photographer who knows what they're doing. Most dealers could care less about photos, and simply snap a shot with their phone. That's the difference.
    Seatedman said:

There seems to be a significant variation in the quality of PCGS Trueview images. I believe these dramatic differences can be attributed to which photographer shot the images.

I also see this. Recently we've been getting what I'll call "dull" and "washed out" TrueViews. Here's an example:

Here's what the actual coin looks like (these are older images, but they're very accurate):

A video:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xDQovwk6zho

PCGS later fixed the TrueView at my request, but it still wasn't the greatest. This is a premium coin that sold for over 3x PCGS Price guide. I would have never been able to get that without taking my own photos. Therefore, the TrueViews were useless.

• Excellent point, well substantiated!

Steve
  • It's extremely hard to capture both color and luster in a coin shot, especially with copper. There are very few who can do it. With assembly line-type Trueviews, they are what they are and you have to get lucky. I've been asking for 13 years now for a top coin photographer in the NY/NJ area to snap some of my coins with no takers.
  • edited May 2023
    I don't see Pinnacle around. This was one of their pix.

Didn't QUITE look like that. :D
  • Russy said:

It's extremely hard to capture both color and luster in a coin shot, especially with copper. There are very few who can do it. With assembly line-type Trueviews, they are what they are and you have to get lucky. I've been asking for 13 years now for a top coin photographer in the NY/NJ area to snap some of my coins with no takers.

You’re absolutely correct that luster is so difficult to capture in a 2 dimensional photo.

Steve
  • edited May 2023
    Yes, both luster and color can be very difficult to capture especially on medium to darker toned coins. However, many of the Trueview images suffer from overexposure due to way too much light, uneven lighting, poor focus, etc. These problems can easily be cured if the photographer is able and willing to take a bit more time.

Phil Arnold told me each photographer was shooting about 1000 images per day. That doesn't allow them much time.
  • Seatedman said:

Yes, both luster and color can be very difficult to capture especially on medium to darker toned coins. However, many of the Trueview images suffer from overexposure due to way too much light, uneven lighting, poor focus, etc. These problems can easily be cured if the photographer is able and willing to take a bit more time.

Phil Arnold told me each photographer was shooting about 1000 images per day. That doesn't allow them much time.

I think PCGS needs to increase pricing to cut back on TrueView intake. That would allow for a bit more time to be taken.

For the security of the coins, take simple slab shots like NGC does. Those are plenty good to identify fakes.
  • And remove their persistent red emphasis in their camera settings.
  • It is 2023. There must be a way to realistically photograph coins.

This dealer knows how to take flashy photos that his customers love. Over the prior 12 months, he has only six negative feedbacks on Ebay versus 52,362 positives.

https://www.ebay.com/str/toliverjamesrarecoins
  • Catbert said:

And remove their persistent red emphasis in their camera settings.

I have a great example of that… TV vs EEPS.

The coins looks like the EEPS photo in hand.

• The coins looks like the EEPS photo in hand.

Who is EEPS?
  • Coinbuf said:

The coins looks like the EEPS photo in hand.

Who is EEPS?
    Eagle Eye Phot Seal.
  • edited May 2023
    Hello everyone! I have not posted in here for a while, I've been very busy lately (for a GREAT reason). I wanted to let you know, that I was brought on board by @CAC_Ops at CAC Grading to setup and run the imaging department. While I can't get into a lot of details or answer everyone's questions (I know there are a lot), I do want to say that I am excited with the direction that the imaging department is going.

Some of you may be familiar with my work, for those that are not here is a link to my website www.justinleephoto.com. While my website is still active, I am not accepting submissions for photography. I want to be clear with that regard. But, you can view some examples of my work there as well as in some of the threads on this and other forums.

I hope this can give a little clarity on the subject of this thread.