Concerns about FUN attendance — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Concerns about FUN attendance

With major airlines’ wholesale cancellations of flights due to lack of pilots & attendants claiming omicron concerns ( how many are legitimately ill or just using covid as a bargaining tool?) , I’m concerned about many FUN attendees - both dealers & collectors - 
having cancelled flights to Orlando Jan 3-6.
I’m not so concerned w my flight being cancelled 1-2 days beforehand but in being at the airport & then hearing my late night flight being cancelled & having to sleep over til the next morning on the terminal floor, and then?
Let’s hope this will clear up in a week but I doubt it.

Comments

• edited December 2021
    I just had a thorough discussion with the weather g-ds, FUN will be fun and you will be back with a wonderful show report...........my fingers are crossed :)
    Update, it appears I was seriously mistaken.
  • I know several bigger dealers who have a wait and see attitude. I am going as of now-but that could change
  • Spent overnight at O'Hare once in January many years ago. Not a good time. Driving to shows is best. Never a delay unless your car is electric. 
  • I'm going. I just hope I don't have to charter a plane at the last minute.
  • This won't work for everyone, but a number of people are driving which gets around the airline situation.
  • edited December 2021
    Glicker said:
    Spent overnight at O'Hare once in January many years ago. Not a good time. Driving to shows is best. Never a delay unless your car is electric. 
    You can get around charging delays by timing it with refueling your body :)
  • Last January the FUN Board stated the show was cancelled because of a local positivity rate of over 10%. I believe Orange County restrictions also played a role.  

Past weeks rate 13.7% and rapidly climbing. 

I've not missed a winter FUN for over 20 years. 

• I am going...I am also booked to go to Colorado March 2022, many important things I want to see, more than I "have too" this time...Last I read I thought everything was a No Restriction F.U.N. and like we said at Union Pacific..."ALL OK NORMAL" 
  • I will be driving, so I have no concerns about the airline situation. A number of collectors I know and usually meet for dinner will be coming this year because of Covid concerns. 

I will be speaking on Friday at 1:30 PM in room N320. The topic will be the early life of Abraham Lincoln leading up to the presidential election of 1860. Numismatic related items will include Civil War tokens and campaign medals that the Bell, Breckenridge, Douglas and Lincoln campaigns issued that were related to the major issues. I hope to see you there! 
  • BillJones said:
    I will be driving, so I have no concerns about the airline situation. A number of collectors I know and usually meet for dinner will be coming this year because of Covid concerns. 

I will be speaking on Friday at 1:30 PM in room N320. The topic will be the early life of Abraham Lincoln leading up to the presidential election of 1860. Numismatic related items will include Civil War tokens and campaign medals that the Bell, Breckenridge, Douglas and Lincoln campaigns issued that were related to the major issues. I hope to see you there! 

This is really cool Bill!!!
  • Hopefully, airline staff previously being quarantined for 10 days are now gov’t
    required to only quarantine 5 days for omicron will return to work much earlier
    and airlines will “ catch up” by the time FUN rolls around in a week+. 
  • Due to health reasons, I am NOT going. My staff who wants to go will. And even if I did want to go, my flight to Orlando was cancelled. 

I was very tormented until I decided. There probably won't be much in the way of coins for me there anyway. MANY dealers are now skipping the show I am hearing. Check with your dealer to see if they are going. 
  • FUN was generally a show where one could get fair grades.  With PCGS out, I am thinking that will influence dealers attending big time.  Sending coins to PCGS and having them call it the same as show grading.......my experience says, no it's not.  
  • Decided today to stay home and stay safe. Maybe next year. 
  • I don’t know how up to date the FunTopics website is, but their list of Dealers cancelling is currently only two, which is the same as it was a week ago.
  • Many dealers are paranoid about losing their tables, so you won't see them drop out. They probably will send someone. 

Its a mess. BUT we do have a right to choose whether to go and risk it or be safe. 
  • Legend said:
    Many dealers are paranoid about losing their tables, so you won't see them drop out. They probably will send someone. 

Its a mess. BUT we do have a right to choose whether to go and risk it or be safe. 
    If there’s a legitimate chance that dealers can lose their tables, worrying about it and/or taking action to prevent it, isn’t being paranoid.
  • MarkFeld said:
    Legend said:
    Many dealers are paranoid about losing their tables, so you won't see them drop out. They probably will send someone. 

If there’s a legitimate chance that dealers can lose their tables, worrying about it and/or taking action to prevent it, isn’t being paranoid.

I think that FUN would make an exception for anyone choosing to skip this year and not "punish" them. Besides being the decent thing to do, punishing safety conscious dealers would be bad public relations. 
  • MarkFeld said:
    Legend said:

I think that FUN would make an exception for anyone choosing to skip this year and not "punish" them. Besides being the decent thing to do, punishing safety conscious dealers would be bad public relations. 
    I hope you’re right and agree, completely.
This discussion has been closed.