Finally- St. G $20 NEWP — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Finally- St. G $20 NEWP

After seeing all the lovely examples posted here, I just had to add one to my collection!
Bass coin
Specimen designation (one of only three designated as such by PCGS and the only one with CAC approval)
My question for the forum- will CACG call this a proof or a specimen?

Comments

• To me, CAC has stickered the piece, and the piece is clearly identified as "SP".

It would be illogical logic to re-state the identification as a Proof. To do so, would erode confidence in the new entity.

What would be the position of CACG if the designation was changed to Proof... that the original sticker was for the numerical designation of 67, not an MS or a Specimen or a Proof. I don't think that would hold up well.

Your question would be all the more interesting if expanded to ".... and what about the "+" designation in a new CACG Holder, and what about an "L" designation?".
  • Without a doubt the finest 1907 HR $20 I’ve ever seen. Absolutely stunning!
  • Congratulations! That's an epic piece. ❤️
  • Good Lord, it looks so good it almost doesn't look real.
  • Fantastic Coin! Congratulations!
  • Curious, Do the fields look proof like with nice mirror finishes?
       The devices look sharply struck. Nice coin either way.
  • Thanks everyone! And yes it looks like a proof- it crossed out of an NGC PR68 holder but PCGS doesn’t recognize proofs, only specimens.
  • edited May 2023
    Absolutely gorgeous, and it will fit well with the rest of your collection! Enjoy!

Steve
  • edited May 2023

Awesome High Relief .  Epic is right !!

• CACG will call her proof.

Gorgeous coin!
  • edited May 2023
    ……. Off subject …. 
  • i also love your newp @FloridaFacelifter .. it must be super special to see it in hand and it for sure fits well with your other fantastic numismatic treasures in your collection that you've been kind to previously post

i wonder if cacg will have other factors to determine whether proof is the correct attribution of this particular speciman

you are obviously on the right track and catching the attention of @EliteCollection with this one is not surprising to me .. you've got my dreams in your hands

thank you so much!
  • Holy Cow. Nothing but the best for FFL! Wonderful acquisition.

Did you get a chance to inspect it in hand before making your bid?
  • Oh good heavens that is Spectacular. Congrats Don! She is a stunner
  • Thanks guys- Catbert no I didn’t have a chance to see it before I bought it but I trust my dealer 
  • 'There can only be one...." (Ms. Sperber).

Don't hit me...I am on a blood thinner.
  • Congratulations. A very special High Relief. Your dealer is one of the best in the business.
  • Is there much of a difference whether your coin is considered a PR or SP?
  • oreville said:
    Is there much of a difference whether your coin is considered a PR or SP?
    Not to me- just curious really- and it has been confirmed that if crossed to a CACG holder it would carry a PR designation. 

• oreville said:

Is there much of a difference whether your coin is considered a PR or SP?

Not to me- just curious really- and it has been confirmed that if crossed to a CACG holder it would carry a PR designation. 

It is not the difference between the MS and PR. Would the SP have been more accurate?