1856 Flying Eagle Cents Mint State? Proof? Special Strike? Initial CACG Policy — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1856 Flying Eagle Cents Mint State? Proof? Special Strike? Initial CACG Policy

Regarding the 1856 Flying Eagle Cents designation as to whether CACG is doing Mint State for Snow-3. CACG will be initially using only the Proof designation for all 1856 Flying Cents. This position may change in the future as more research is done relating to the Mint issuing this new coin in 1856. CAC Stickering has stickered at total of 43 coins in the past. We may continue to sticker those coins that meet CACG standards for the grade, however those coins will not be eligible for crossing into the CACG holder as Mint State at this time. They would be eligible to cross for the Proof designation, however I would highly recommend not taking this action at this time. I believe the coins are worth more remaining in their PCGS holders with their CAC stickers. I do not see any population data on NGC website for 1856 Mint State coins. I am guessing that they do not recognize 1856 Mint State coins any longer.

It's important to note, our position regarding Mint State, Proof or Special Strike for the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent may change in the future.

Thanks,
John Butler
CACG Finalizer & Founder

Comments

• Thanks John B.   Lots of interest here!  Lol.  JA 
  • Interesting bit of information. I am not real familiar with the issue. it leaves me wondering why do you ( or anyone else ) believe these coins will be worth more in their pcgs holder with a cac sticker 
  • Thank you for this. Strangely enough, I was just asking this question relating to a client inquiry.
  • edited May 2023
    WilliamJ said:

Interesting bit of information. I am not real familiar with the issue. it leaves me wondering why do you ( or anyone else ) believe these coins will be worth more in their pcgs holder with a cac sticker 

Because of availability! Some Registry sets require a Business Strike for 1856, and the S-3 is the only one that qualifies. Proof 1856’s are in a larger supply at most high grades, hence their lower pricing.

Because I play the Registry game, I had to pay up for my 1856 AU55 S-3 with CAC. A proof version would have been less expensive.

That’s excellent unbiased advice given by @JohnButler !

Steve
  • JACAC said:

Thanks John B.   Lots of interest here!  Lol.  JA 

Ha!

JA’s favoritism of Oregon Trail commems over 1856 FE cents still is readily apparent!
  • Regarding the 1856 Flying Eagle Cents designation as to whether CACG is doing Mint State for Snow-3. CACG will be initially using only the Proof designation for all 1856 Flying Cents. This position may change in the future as more research is done relating to the Mint issuing this new coin in 1856. CAC Stickering has stickered at total of 43 coins in the past. We may continue to sticker those coins that meet CACG standards for the grade, however those coins will not be eligible for crossing into the CACG holder as Mint State at this time. They would be eligible to cross for the Proof designation, however I would highly recommend not taking this action at this time. I believe the coins are worth more remaining in their PCGS holders with their CAC stickers. I do not see any population data on NGC website for 1856 Mint State coins. I am guessing that they do not recognize 1856 Mint State coins any longer.

It's important to note, our position regarding Mint State, Proof or Special Strike for the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent may change in the future.

Thanks,
    John Butler
    CACG Finalizer & Founder

If I may ask….would SP be more appropriate than PR in the case of the 1856 FE cent?
  • @oreville
    I personally would prefer the SP for all 1856 Flying Eagle Cents. However, my opinion is only one of many in that goes into the process.
    CACG will be doing more research in the future regarding the 1856 Flying Eagle Cents.

@WilliamJ
    @Winesteven makes some good points as to why its best too keep them in PCGS holders with CAC stickers.

PCGS set registry is a very strong driver of demand for these coins.

• This thread needs a photo: My new 1856 (S-3) graded PF-64+ with CAC and Eagle Eye stickers....A beauty if I do say so.

• Yes, I agree, that is a beauty! Nice it has both stickers of approved quality.