Define ***** and expensive ***** — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Define ***** and expensive *****

edited January 2022 in General
What do these terms mean to you?
Tagged:

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • “Buy what excites you, ignore what others prefer to collect. However, be open to learning about the ladder of coin excellence. All coins can’t and won’t be primo!  That’s ok since there is quality at every grade level.”  Says your humble Catbert. 
  • edited January 2022
    Dreck is anything that isn’t what it purported to be at the retail level. Overstating quality be it a diamond, used car or coin is where people in the know illicitly add value to their resale opportunities and in the process leave the buyer with dreck which can be at any level of transaction. 

If the seller states the object as it is and negotiates in good faith in line with market values, a buyer can find their gem at any level of quality.  Not every stone needs to be IF with D color to look good in a pair of earrings, but if you mount a pair of G color VS2 in platinum to play up the white and dip them in sparkle enhancer before showing them on a dark tray under intense lights claiming them to be icy white and eye clean to skirt around technicalities while charging D VVS1 prices, you are peddling expensive dreck. That would have been a decent pair of earrings but by taking the customer they were left with disproportionate value beyond the resale margins. 
  • edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • First of all, I deplore the use of profanity, as above, on this forum & the bringing in of religion!

That said, “dreck “ as used by Sperber may be defined as readily acquired coins like the prolific Morgan & Peace silver dollars
    which exist by the multi -millions even in Uncirculated. “Expensive dreck “ in my opinion is common date / mintmark 
    silver dollars in ultra hi grade that bring
    $ way  over what their real rarity dictates
    due to prooflike surfaces & 
    alleged 66-68 grade. A genuine case
    of  the well-known parable “the king who parades with no clothes”.
  • I don’t think numismatic items such as coins should be referred to as dreck. That’s harsh and disrespectful 
  • As a language is dynamic it can and will often adopt loanwords taken from different languages. That’s the case here with English borrowing several Yiddish words. Once it has been accepted into the vernacular it can take meanings different from the source language. 

In the context of this thread the term dreck hasn’t likely diverged much from the source language in meaning. But I would say that its meaning as an English word has softened to be more focused on trash/rubbish than excrement.  
  • edited January 2022
    Isn’t dreck most analogous to crap/trash and sort of a tongue in cheek term to describe what you don’t want to buy. It isn’t as profane as people think. It does have classist overtone as used but if you really drill down she is saying buy good stuff. Seems like solid advice 

Even if it was, are a bunch of men really blushing and kvetching from the words originating from woman’s mouth? Spend 10mins at my work place and you’ll hear much worse….. just from me let alone from the Generals 
  • I think that far too much attention has been paid to the “d” word and I apologize for my role in that.

For your own purposes, describe coins as you please. But keep in mind that the words you use might mean something very different to others.

There’s no need to insult owners of coins you don’t like. It’s one thing to educate collectors, but it’s another to demean them and their collecting habits.

Regardless of grade, quality and appearance, every coin has a value to someone. 

• If you want to defend intentional ugliness and insulting derogation, if you want to be an apologist for a disrupter who grossly distorts market facts, have at it….

In the context of this hobby and industry there has never been a dealer so dismissive and derogatory. You may delude yourself into believing she's "speaking truth to Power". @nottheRealDonnaTrump and I should have a pitched battle on "Transparency". You will watch her positions melt away as quickly as the Wicked Witch of the West. She will NOT be posting the transcript on Hot Topics. 

My only argument with Ms. @Legend is that she is poisoning the general public with her own self-serving distortion using the BIG LIE technique. And has managed to accumulate dupes and apologists who support her cheapening and degrading.
    This is what it boils down to, and I hope CAC allows spirited debate. About 95% of push back against and negative comments about CAC are really reactions to her and her followers. CAC has done a lot of good for this hobby, but I fear her elitism and vitriol turn away a large number of collectors that would learn a lot from submitting to CAC. It’s unfortunate. In many ways, I think she has done just as much damage in this hobby as grade inflation and coin doctoring.
  • @ColonelJessup just for the record my father’s side is Jewish and he spoke Yiddish as well as a lot of his extended family. In any case, we all use loanwords often without realizing it.

If I ever have the opportunity to meet QDB, I will try to remember to bring this up. Of course, I would have to have a suitable coin in hand but I don’t see very many suitable ones generally. 
  • Col Jessup is way over the top in insults and a “ know it all” attitude. His blogs are full of reasons to ban him & my guess is
    alot of bloggers here are waiting for him to be SHUT UP, irrespective of his position as a CAC grader. Moderator, where are you ? 
  • mellado said:
    Col Jessup is way over the top in insults and a “ know it all” attitude. His blogs are full of reasons to ban him & my guess is
    alot of bloggers here are waiting for him to be SHUT UP, irrespective of his position as a CAC grader. Moderator, where are you ? 
    Just as he said with his banning on the CU board, I suspect he is intentionally stirring the pot and looking to be banned here. But who knows?
  • edited January 2022
    mellado said:
    Col Jessup is way over the top in insults and a “ know it all” attitude. His blogs are full of reasons to ban him & my guess is
    I hope he’s not “SHUT UP”. He’s not a CAC grader and I doubt he ever said that he was.
  • MarkFeld said:
    I think that far too much attention has been paid to the “d” word and I apologize for my role in that.

For your own purposes, describe coins as you please. But keep in mind that the words you use might mean something very different to others.

There’s no need to insult owners of coins you don’t like. It’s one thing to educate collectors, but it’s another to demean them and their collecting habits.

What role did you have in the application of the term to numismatics? I’ve never known you to be disparaging to others. You have always been helpful to everyone from collectors of rarities and ultra rarities to the novice and often naive authors of parking lot threads on the PCGS and NGC Forums.
  • mellado said:
    Colonel Jessup is a true expert, and I hope he isn’t banned. I also hope he doesn’t stop posting. It would be a loss for the forum. True debate is healthy for the hobby.
  • MarkFeld said:
    I think that far too much attention has been paid to the “d” word and I apologize for my role in that.

What role did you have in the application of the term to numismatics? I’ve never known you to be disparaging to others. You have always been helpful to everyone from collectors of rarities and ultra rarities to the novice and often naive authors of parking lot threads on the PCGS and NGC Forums.
    Sorry for the confusion. I had no role, other than participating in recent discussions about the word, both here and on the PCGS forum.

Thank you for your nice comments.
  • Wag more. Bark less.
  • edited January 2022
  • edited January 2022
This discussion has been closed.